Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Another quality day of parenting

We've all been there. We've all had those moments in rearing our young offspring when we miss the boat. And not just by a few minutes. More like the boat came and went 3 hours ago! Strange analogy you might say...

Case in point...When we were at the pumpkin patch Monday night Josh was acting a bit odd, clinging to me which is not like him at all and he just really didn't want to do anything. I thought he was having a case of petting zoo phobia, as the last time he went to one, he got very sick and was stuck yakkin' in a bowl on my sister-in-law's couch for a whole day. And of course I'm thinking the whole time, "What's your problem? Go have fun". When we got home that night he was laying all over me complaining about how tired he was and I just happened to feel his forehead, and low and behold he was burning up! Great mom huh? So I give him a healthy dose of Motrin and send him off to bed. He woke up yesterday morning acting fine but still with a bit of a fever. So as the day went on I didn't think about it much because he seemed ok. Then I got to the school to pick up Hannah and was chatting with a friend about it all and she mentioned that her nephew just had the same symptoms and it turned out to be Strep Throat and that it's going around. LIGHT BULB MOMENT! How could I have missed it? Am I blind? Josh has had strep throat before. So anyway, like any good mother I finally took him to the doctor and it turns out that both of us have some funky throat thing. Not sure if it's strep, but it's something. Enough to make the doctor take a hardy step back after examining my throat and exclaim, "Whoa, that's bad". Thank you, I could have told you that! Anyway, we are all medicated up now and will no longer be contagious after tomorrow, yipee! If I can only get him to actually take the medicine without yakkin' all over the floor. So what's the lesson I've learned here? As my sister-in-laws and I frequently joke, it's the #1 rule of parenting: Pay Attention!!!

1 Thoughts:

emahaf said...

sometimes it is so hard to pay attention to stuff like that because for the first part it always seems like they are just being naughty or whiney. But when you find out they are sick, it is always a nice dose of reality.