Church was so cool yesterday. Our ward had a surprise visit from a General Authority, Elder Matson! He was in town for his mother's 97th birthday and was staying with his brother in law who lives in our ward. When I saw him sitting on the stand next to the Bishop, I didn't recognize him, I thought maybe he was a new High Council member or maybe a Regional Authority. Then the Bishop introduced him and that got everyone's attention. I waited the entire meeting hoping that he would speak, but to no avail.
So I went to Primary for my last Sunday as the secretary. Yes, you heard right. I got a new calling yesterday which I'm so excited and very nervous about. I was put in as 2nd Counselor in Young Womens'. I'm nervous because I haven't been in Young Womens since I was a Laurel! I've always felt like I wasn't old enough to be in there, like I wasn't that much older than the girls. It's totally silly. I'm excited to be over the Beehives, and I think that will be a ton of fun. I remember how excited I was at that age going into Young Womens and getting out of Primary. I have a good group of girls, only 4 for a while, but I'm anxious to get to know them. I get to go on the winter campout with them this weekend, actually the girls are staying in cabins so I'm good with that! I'm looking forward to getting to know all of the girls and just having a good time with them. I'm so going to miss Primary, but I am very happy about this new calling and I'm sure these girls will teach me a ton!
After church was over, while we were waiting for Spencer, we got to meet Elder Matson. He came up to us and introduced himself and shook Hannah and Josh's hands. He asked Hannah's name and told her that he gets to shake President Hinkley's hand every day and that he was going to tell him that he got to shake her hand. How sweet is that! He then looked her right in the eye and said "Be true and faithful". You should have seen the look on her face. I really think that moment will stay with her. He spoke to Josh, and asked him if he knew who President Hinkley is and shook his hand. Then he moved on to meet some other people. Jake was sad that he didn't get a handshake so we asked him if Jake could have one too. He looked at Jake and said, "You're a special little boy. I love you". My eyes were once again tearing up for about the 50th time this week! You know when we hear about the light of Christ being in a person's eyes? It was totally there! It was amazing.
It was just a great Sunday. What else can I say!
Monday, January 22, 2007
A good Sunday
Posted by tharker at 8:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 Thoughts:
Wow. That is such a great experience for your kids- I think you are right about Hannah remembering that forever. You better print this blog and put it in her scrapbook so she doesn't forget, just in case. Congrats on YW- now we can swap ideas! I hope you have some cuz I'm running low! :)
Would you quit writing these blogs. I cry like a baby every time. Tom is beginning to wonder why I'm always in tears.
That is such an awesome experience for all of your family.
that is such an amazing experience, congrats on the new calling. You will be such a great Young Womens leader
I bet you will have tons of fun and good experiences in the Young Womens, especially with the Beehives. That is neat about Elder Matson. I bet your kids will always remember that.
What a good sunday! Congrats on the call- I think YW is one of the best callings in church. You will be great!
Oh. My. Goodness. What a great moment, and way to make me cry. That is awesome!
I am in YW in my Ward 3rd time I have done it... I was 19 the first time. You will do great.
Congrats on your new calling. How was the camping trip? We went with the youth from our ward in Nov. and it was fun. I promise I will be posting more... I think you are the only who reads them, I do not know to many people on here yet but I am recruiting! Also what an amazing experience your children had. I am sure that will be something they will never forget.
Post a Comment