Friday, February 02, 2007

The office that I love

I always do this. A new show will debut, but I vow that I'm not going to watch it. For whatever reason. I have too many shows, I don't think it looks all that great, whatever. I've done this with many a show. Lost, Grey's Anatomy, House, the list could go on. But each time, sure enough I end up frantically setting each show to DVR, and wait with baited breath for the next episode to air.

When The Office came out a couple of years ago, it didn't really catch my attention. Sure, I heard people talk about how funny it was, but I had made the vow and I was sticking to it this time.

Then came that fateful finale of last season. Pam and Jim kissed. I was hooked. I don't even know what convinced me to watch that episode, but I did, and found that I really did like it. So I have been a faithful viewer this season and recently my brother in law brought over Seasons 1 & 2 for us to watch. Spencer and I have been watching a couple of episodes every day, and end up laughing so hard and loud, I think we've scared the boys a couple of times while they were supposed to be napping. What is it about that show? It is laugh out loud hilarious. At one point I thought Spencer had lost it, he was laughing so hard.

I think there's a little Michael Scott in all of us. He's a total bonehead, but he has a good heart. I can relate. I'm always saying stupid and innapropriate things, but I mean well. And Dwight, don't even get me started on him. He cracks me up. Of course the romantic in me is totally rooting for Jim and Pam.

So there it is, I'm hooked on yet another show. We always hear that we should use our time wisely. It's funny, every time I hear it, I know they are talking to ME! Of course there are better, far more productive things that I could do with my time. But somehow, I don't mind pushing them to the back burner when this show is on. I'll deal with the reprucussions later.

12 Thoughts:

Alicia Leppert said...

Okay, I'm really trying not to turn every comment I make into being about me, but when someone says something that I totally relate to, I have to speak!! I am so the same way about new shows, only I err in the other direction. I DON'T watch the new ones thinking it will be a bomb, and then it turns into this mega-hit and I'm totally missing out, so I come into it late. This happened with Grey's Anatomy and the Office. I totally agree about Michael Scott, he is my favorite character. I ache for him sometimes. Last night was the funniest episode I have ever seen. Whew, I'm done.

Stacia said...

Me too! Every fall Kelly scopes out the new shows before they air and we decide what we are going to watch. We haven't watched House or 24 because we also have TOO many shows. The DVR does make is so easier though.

And about The Office, we have decided that you HAVE to watch it with DVR so you can pause it and then laugh til you pee your pants. Then replay it and laugh again!

Brooklet said...

OH the world with dvr- we don't have it and it drives Cody nuts!!

We have been faithful office fans from the beginning, in fact, Cody got an Office t-shirt for Christmas thise year. Its the only show that I am really caught onto and that I get upset if I miss (being that we don't have dvr). No show makes me as uncomfortable as the office. Michael Scott makes me cringe every episode because he is so awkward- I love it!! But ultimately its the Pam and Jim thing that keeps me hooked. I am glad you are on board now, Tiff.

dandee said...

Ryan and I have watched "The Office" from episode 1. It is our favorite show and something we look forward to every week. We are always totally bummed when a re-run is on but end up watching and laughing harder the second time around. In fact, we have a "Dunder Mifflin Paper Co." calendar that hangs in our den with pictures of "The Office" gang. (I found it at Target and grabbed one for Dave Peck too who is also a HUGE fan). Of course I love the Jim and Pam storyline, but Dwight and Angela have me more intrigued than anything else.

emahaf said...

I have never seen the show. With all these great reviews, this might be something we have to check out. Maybe we will rent season one and start from there.

Alicia Leppert said...

It's so true about Michael's character. That's how great of an actor Steve Carrell is...he plays the awkward, weird part so well that it feels so real and you are actually squirming in your seat you feel the tension so much. I too love the Pam/Jim storyline, but I have to say that I think I am the only one I know who doesn't love Dwight. I think he's a cliche comic relief character. (No offense, anyone. He does make me laugh sometimes.)

Shayla said...

Okay, so you would do this to me... I am the same way about new shows. I just cannot add another one to my already full DVR, plus the whole wasting my time issue... I just got into Grey's Anatomy this season. I downloaded (yes, I'm a terrible internet pirater) all the past seasons episodes and got myself hooked over the summer. We haven't been watchers of the Office, but have heard from EVERYONE how hilarious it is. Maybe this time I'll at least be legal about it and rent the past seasons episodes... :-)

PRP said...

Did you seriously say "bonehead?"

tharker said...

Sure did Karen! I thought as long as I'm talking about innapropriate Michael Scott, I may as well say something equally innapropriate. : )

The New Harkers said...

Ok so most of you that know me know about the things i can do with a computer. Dont ask queston, but i do have every one of the Office episodes. So if there are any that you missed just leave a note on my blog and i will get them for you. i even have the 3rd season (the ones that have came on).

Alicia Leppert said...

lindsay, that was hilarious! Bill and I died laughing when he marked her arm. I about wet my pants.

hatch said...

I actually just watched The office for the first time a few weeks ago at our friends house I feel like I have been missing out on something . It was hilarious! The great thing about it is if you have ever worked in an office you recognize people you knew in those people. I think I need to get the first two season's to get caught up.