Do you ever have those moments when someone says something to you, and you think "Did you REALLY just say that?" Here's a play by play of my most recent adventure in dealing with stupid people and their word vomit.
Remember that one post I wrote about wanting a baby? Well, just before Christmas, I thought maybe, just maybe that I might be pregnant. Ya know cuz I was about 3 1/2 weeks, (yes I said weeks) late. Of course I got my hopes up and with every passing day I thought it might actually happen.
My plan was to take the test and if it was positive, present it to my sweetie on Christmas morning before the kids awoke. A few days before Christmas, the kids and I were at the store and when they weren't looking, I snuck one into my cart and stuffed it hastily under a box of cereal. I wanted to keep it quiet, and I didn't want to dash their hopes if it turned out that I wasn't pregnant.
So at the check out, I distracted them by directing their eyes to the candy (nice huh?) and hurriedly placed the test on the conveyor belt amonst the other items. At this exact moment, the kids got a little too excited about the candy and maybe their voices went above the "indoor voice" level for a moment or two.
As I was telling them to quiet down, the ever so observant checker takes a look at the test, then at my children, then at me and in a rather shocked voice says, "You mean you might be having another one?" {Emphasis on another} I was caught off guard by her comment, and I didn't really know what to say. Stupidly, I answered, "I dunno...maybe".
When really I wanted to say, "Yes, I might be having another one, and I am very excited at the prospect, you nosy cow!!!"
Of course what I want to say in those moments and what I end up saying are always two very different things. I wish that I could rewind time just a few moments and say what I really wanted, but I guess it's better off this way. No one gets hurt. I just love that perfect strangers seem to think that they have a right to give someone their two cents on a very personal matter. Love it!
As it turns out, the test was negative. So my perfect Christmas gift to my husband was ruined. What are ya gonna do? I don't know why my body decided that it would just skip December. Maybe Aunt Flo had too many other holiday stops to make and just couldn't make it to me until after the holidays were over. Thanks. That. Was. Awesome. She finally came bearing gifts. Those mini contractions that she brought with her as a late Christmas gift were fantastic. Yeah. Thanks.
Case of T.M.I? Now you can sit there at your computer and say "Did she really just say that?"
Tuesday, January 08, 2008
Did you really just say that?
Posted by tharker at 2:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


20 Thoughts:
Oh, Tiffani, I was so hoping for you as I was reading this post. Dangit! I am sorry! I hate when you start to get excited (especially on something that you've really yearned for and wanted so badly), only to have those hopes dashed.
That checker obviously doesn't understand the joy of having children around, even when they can be a bit much sometimes. :)
xo
Tiffani- I have had MMAAANNNNYY of those experiences with the topic of having children. It seems to be a topic the lots of people feel it is okay to give their personal opinions on. Even when NOT asked.
I had a member say when I announced I was pregnant with twins, "Ohhh, I always wanted to have twins, then I realized how HORRIBLE it would be and decided that I NEVER wanted to have twins" Ummm, okay?!
Feel free to call if you want to talk or cry, we are both in those not so comfy shoes.
How very mean of her! What business is it of hers if you have 12 kids? Were you asking her to buy your food? Take care of your kids? NO!
I hope that whatever God has in store for you is something you and your family can make peace with and be joyful. I hope it's a baby!!
Wow... I'm sorry you had to deal with a stupid person... I've had that too... right after I had Baby Girl a doctor who was filling in for my regular doc came in to check on me... looked at my charts and said, "This was baby #3 for you? WOW - we should have tied those tubes up while we were in there!" Nice...
Oh, and I'm sorry about Aunt Flo... she was visiting me every 3 weeks in November and December... :( (MY turn for TMI)
Keep your chin up girl! You'll get that positive pregnancy test and hopefully a checker that will be happy for you :)
I feel for you. I get THE look from people all the time when I go places with my nephews. As for your "aunt" ... well... I just hate when that happens. I was thinking the same thing as you.
Tiff do'nt worry about the TMI because hello! We all know I'm the queen of TMI :)! This summer when we went to Disney land I too was havine a vacation from Aunt Floo. I also went to buy the test. the checker that helped me asked if I was hoping for or against. I said I wasn't sure but I would be happy either way. She asked if I was married (we had been at the beach and I hadn't put my ring back on yet). I said yes and I already have three so I would be fine either way. She looked straight at me and said honey your have got to be more responsible than that, get your self some birth control. I have the exact opposite problem than you most of the time. In a shocked sitution my mouth falls open and everything comes out. I steped back glared at her and said, "excues me! what business is it of yours!" and I stomped away. So sometimes it is best not to say what you think cause I still feel bad about that sometimes. :)
Good for you Tiff! That's SO what I wish I could do!!
I bet I can guess what store you were shopping at.
((HUGS)) I am so sorry. It is hard when you get your hopes us.
And seriously stupid people suck. And yeah I just said that. That is always just hard.
Tiffani, I feel for you. Maybe we should do a post where everyone can suggest perfect zingers for those inevitable moments when people suggest that we're out of our minds for having more than one child. Then again, I think it shows more character when we can graciously exit the situation without ruining THEIR day, even though they let loose a stinker on ours. Sorry about Aunt Flo coming. That would have been an awesome Christmas surprise! Hmmm...Valentine's Day is coming up....
Tiffani, I'm the same way. I have all kinds of things running through my head in response to stupid people, and all I ever end up doing is smiling and nodding. But sometimes I think, "what am I scared of? Offending them? They obviously didn't take the same consideration with me!" But I guess we should be the bigger people. So sorry your Christmas surprise fell through. What a fun idea, though!
Oh Tiff! People like that just blow my mind! I am one of those people that can't muster up a good come back comment until AFTER I leave the situation. Hang in there! You will be blessed!
I feel for you. It's hard enough when you want to have a baby even without people asking you stupid questions to boot. I always feel like the check stand attendants are scrutinizing everything I'm buying. If I want to buy three big boxes of doughnuts and a Shape magazine, that's my perogitive ok? Ha, ha.
Some people are so annoying. I'm sorry that it didn't turn out the way you were hoping! Despite the hard experience, you always seem to make it enjoyable to read. You are great and good luck with everything!
Seriously. I SO WISH I would have been with you because as you know, I'm not one to hold my tongue, and pregnant Karen is even worse than normal Karen! I guess I need to work on that whole being-a-bigger-person-thing.
Unfortunately, I have been surrounded by idiots lately who cannot hold their tongues and I'm about to wear a sign around my neck telling them what I think. It's so annoying!
Hang in there. Surely smart people will outnumber stupid people soon!
Amen Karen. AMEN.
I am with Danyelle....I know what store it is!!!! They need a class on how to shut there mouth....just scan the items please....that is all we ask!!!!
We all hate the mini contractions! Yuck!
Come on over for a nice big slice of chocolate cake...I will listen!
Sorry Tiff, isn't it nice of mother nature to kick you when you are down. Its hard when you think you might be pregnant, and then find out that your not- that is tough enough, but then mother nature goes and kicks ya with 5 days of mess, pain, and emotional instability. Thanks.
I kinda feel sorry for the clerk- I don't think she has any idea how incredibly offensive and ignorant she is being. I bet you weren't the first she has offended, and I bet you won't be the last. That's why I feel sorry for her. Hopefully someone will open her eyes for her, soon. Why do store clerks feel the need to say something when you purchase a pregnancy test? It should be in all training meetings to refrain from any type of word vomitting when they scan that item!!
Brooke you had me at word vomit. I so wish that I could have said something. But you know me, I'm a total wimp when it comes to any sort of confrontation!
How did I miss this post??? This is the reason I LOVE self check out! You don't have to deal with nosey cashiers! Here's to hoping that aunt flo won't visit for the next 9 months!!
Post a Comment