Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The best question in the world is....


"Can I cook dinner tomorrow night Mom?"


Hannah asked me this question Monday afternoon while we were at the grocery store and of course I answered with a resounding YES!

When we were at Monica's house last week, Hannah helped her make these yummy little ham and cheese pockets. She was so proud of herself. So we picked up the ingredients and I let her have her way in the kitchen last night.

It's super easy and SO kid friendly. There is no cutting, cooking or anything dangerous involved. She sprayed a 9x13 pan with Pam, and then rolled out 1 can of crescent rolls flat in the bottom of the pan. Then she layered sliced ham and Mozzarella cheese over the dough. Finally she unrolled another can of crescent rolls and spread them over the ham and cheese. We popped them in the oven @375 for about 20 minutes and voila, she made dinner! We had carrots and apple slices with our Hannah-made meal. Not only was this super easy, but it was pretty darn tasty too.

Hannah loves to help in the kitchen and would help more often if her mother wasn't such a Mess Nazi. I need to relax a bit and let the kids help more often. Not only do they love it, but they actually will eat what they cook...imagine that!

14 Thoughts:

Jessica said...

I think it's great to get kids cooking young, they have quite a few kids cookbooks out there.

Shayla has (gets) to cook every Wednesday, (we do wednesday cause of early out, gives her more time) it's her "job". We got her a kids cookbook and by Sunday night she has to have everything planned and a list of what needs to be bought at the store. If she forgets to get it to me she has to wing it, just like mom 50% of the time!

She is also in charge of cleaning up all her messes!!

Emily said...

Yumm! Those ham and cheese pockets sound delish!! I'll have to try that with Breigh.

I am the same way with my kids cooking with me in the kitchen. I can't stand the messes they make, but I need to let go of my control-freakishness and just let them do it already! Hannah sounds like quite the little cook, just like her mama :)

Emily said...

Yay for Hannah--and Tiffani! I know what you mean about not letting the kids help in the kitchen enough. I'm a mess nazi too:) I'm def. going to let my kids try this recipe. Thanks for the idea!

Debie Spurgeon said...

A mother's dream!!!

Jan said...

It is so freeing when you can say, hey will you do this or that. I tell you. Its where its at. Continue to let her pump it out in the kitchen Tiffany. She will end up as good as those Harker chefs and you -little cooking momma.

Way to go Hannah..

Casee said...

That is awesome! It sounds to me like you are doing a great job! I am so sorry that I wasn't able to meet up with you last week, I was and still am really disappointed. But school was nuts and I felt like I really needed to buckle down. Maybe we can get together the next time you come for a visit?

hatch said...

I love this! I think I will have to start letting my kids do a little more to help in the kitchen. Dylan wants to help me all of the time, but I am the same way with messes, and I am always in a hurry to just get it done. I think I need to work on being better about that one.

Shells said...

Hannah, will you come cook us dinner?

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

What a fun dinner idea! I bet she will remeber it forever.

Marilyn said...

I needed to read this post. My girls would love to make dinner, but I hover too much! Thanks for the inspiration today.

Heather said...

Man, what's with all the mess nazi's??

Sarah said...

I can't wait for the day to have extra help in the kitchen. That little recipe sounds pretty yummy and super kid friendly like you said. I'm always worried about what kids are doing to my food and if they washed their hands. I know, I'm a freak.

Kris said...

Sounds like a yummy recipe and a little help goes a long way. Glad she was willing that's the first step to success!

Brooklet said...

Yeah! And how fun that she is excited about cooking. Sometimes it drives me batty that Claire wants to cook with me, but then I think about how I did not like cooking growing up and how much I missed out on learning from my mom. I don't want to squash that for Claire this young. I get what you mean about mess nazi, but I think you are helping nurture the seed in one little cook.