I'm writing this post knowing that I am going to get absolutely no sympathy on this one. Except maybe from this girl. I know she will understand.
I've had a good almost 9 year run. From 1pm to 3pm every day, my home has been blissfully quiet. But sadly, the day has come. The day that I have been dreading for so long. My youngest has decided that he's done napping. Oh. The. Horror.
But he's 5 you say! No, no people, this is not acceptable to me. You see, my two oldest still took naps well into Kindergarten. He's only in pre-school. He can't be done!
Yeah, so maybe I am spending too much time swimming in the river of denial, but these naps are a hard thing to let go of! My kids have been rock star nappers. For so long, I have had 2 glorious hours each afternoon to do whatever it is I need to do. Clean, read, nap...whatever! In fact, Kristin A. once told me that she is always nervous to call here between the hours of 1 and 3 because she didn't want to disturb "Harker Family Nap Time" {Kristin also came up with that term}.
In the words of Boyz II Men, it's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday.
I know, I know. Boo-hoo. Poor me. Let me have it!
Friday, October 03, 2008
The end of an era
Posted by tharker at 9:15 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


22 Thoughts:
I have a ton of sympathy to give to you. How horrible for the naps to be done. I too, have people who won't call me between 1-3. Not only for my kids, but mostly cuz they know that's when I'm sleeping too. :) Hope you can adjust to these changes soon!
Stella has just recently at 41/2 is not napping anymore. but, for my sanities sake, she has to go to her room and do a quiet activity between 1-3p.m. so that i can have my quiet time...
I totally feel for you carter still naps but the have gone from 2 hour to 1 hour naps, and even that hurts.
Um, yeah.
No sympathy? Are you nuts? I'm pretty sure that any mother out there would feel your pain.
Nap time is a gift the good Lord has given mothers so they don't go completely crazy, those first few years. There will come a day, of course, when nap time will really be nothing but a slightly hazy good memory.
To quote Dr Seuss: Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
What!!!!!! Your kids took naps into kindergarten??? How in the world do you do that? Could you teach a class??? Lorelai graduated herself from nap taking when she was 2....thats right....2!
Oh how I love the napping days...
That is sooo lame! Although, I must say I am deeply impressed how long you were able to keep it up!
I feel for you! If you need a quiet afternoon bring Jake to my house!
I'm glad Lisa mentioned Lorelai. I was going to tell you about her in my first comment and by the end of it I had forgotten about her lack of napping.
I'm totally feeling your pain, Kaden and Brynns have started to let go of napping and I'm not happy.
I remember being bummed out when nap time no longer existed at my house. But it does open the door to allowing you to get out of the house to do activities that you weren't able to do because of the nap time leash.
Not much sympathy here, Tiff! Claire gave up naps at 2 1/2. And he is five!! You have been lucky for far too long!
I do feel your pain. Although... does that mean I can call you between one and three now? Or will you be sobbing and mourning the loss of your "me" time?
I can sympathize. My boys were great nappers. Mazie decided at three that she was done napping, and I've never been the same.
I feel your pain, Tiff. I always go through a bit of a mourning process when each child outgrows their naps. I know Rachels will be ending soon and I'm not prepared!
funny thing is I knew this about your fam. Sorry it's over.
No more Harker Family Nap Time? It hasn't quite sunk in yet. I'm truly sad for you.
Family Nap Time, now that sounds like a great time, sorry it is over for a while.
wow, i must say i don't know how you feel. I'm sure it is quite overwhelming. I would miss those precious 2 hours also. boys will be boys!
Such a sweet post - so honest :) I will let you know how I feel one day when I have kids and they stop napping :)
After lunch in our house is movie time! I like being more flexible to do things because we don't have to be home to have a nap. (I don't remember when Dakotah last took naps. It's been too long.)
I think I would have had less children if they wouldn't have been such good nappers. The last one quit around two and that is why he was the last! (Not really) Jera
Post a Comment