Friday, November 14, 2008

Discovered

Sometimes the best discoveries are the kind that you didn't expect.

Before Jake was born, his doctors told us that because the location of the lesion on his spine, he would most definitely be paralyzed from the waist down. We were devastated. His lesion ranges from the L2 to the L4 areas of the spine, and according to his doctors, this didn't offer much hope. It was a hard pill to swallow, trying to imagine our child that would never walk, never crawl, or even roll. A child that would never feel independent. A child that would most likely need constant care for the rest of his life. It was a very grey portrait they painted for us.

However, as our baby grew, we were most pleasantly surprised to find that Jake did have some feeling in his legs. Much more than his doctors, or we, frankly, ever thought possible. In fact, he had feeling down to his knees! His right leg is stronger than his left, but there's still feeling in both legs. We were thrilled with this because it would mean that our boy would be mobile. Not mobile like other children, but he could at least get where he wanted to go, and feel independent.

Jake's legs are very ticklish. In particular, the area right above his knees. Oh my, you should hear his giggle when he is being tickled. Best sound in the world, I tell you. So, we have a tickle fight at least once a day. Yes, he enjoys it, but I think I get more satisfaction out of the game just by hearing him laugh uncontrollably.

One day last week, as I was tickling his knees, I asked him to tell me where exactly it tickled. Of course, above the knee, he was responsive, but just for kicks I decided to try out his shins and see what he could feel there. Left leg, nothing as expected. Then I moved on to the right shin, and I was shocked to see him giggle and try to pull his leg away. I did it again, and received the same result.

In the past, he has always reacted very minimally to anything below the knee. But we have done it several times since, and he has had the same reaction every time!

Does this mean anything different for Jake as far as walking? No, but I still choose to celebrate it. To me, it is more proof that the Lord is in control and that Jake is in His hands. Any step forward, no matter how small, is still a step in the right direction.

Even though this doesn't really change things for Jake, I am still beyond thrilled with this very unexpected discovery.

27 Thoughts:

Andre said...

That is exciting that suddenly there is feeling there! We celebrate life through the small things.

Dakotah really likes Jake. She talks about him all the time.

::lindsay said...

Jake is truly a special boy. We love him! And yes, that is something to celebrate indeed.

Casee said...

That is indeed a wonderful discovery. Thanks for sharing Tiff, it is nice to be reminded of all of the small wonders in my life, that I often overlook.

PRP said...

Jake is a stud. I think his little body will continue to amaze us for years to come.

Way to go Jake!

Emily said...

That brought tears to my eyes! Jake is such a cute little guy. How can we doubt that God loves and knows each one of us individually?! That is wonderful news for Jake. Thanks for sharing :)

Heather said...

Way to celebrate! Tickle fights daily?? You ARE a good mom.

Amy said...

Wow! That is amazing!

Brook said...

That is an exciting discovery. I really admire the way you look on the positive side of what could be a very hard thing! Jake has such a great smile, and it sounds like a great laugh to match!

Lee said...

That is awesome!! You are the best Mom, and you have the best kids!

Jan said...

Jake deserves cake.

Will Tiff shake and bake the cake. Take a break and bake the cake. This is worth a celebrate.

I'm a dork no debate.

So awesome mommy good bar.

stylist to the stars said...

It is so great that he is so remarkable. I think I know why everyone in class wants to sit by him.... because he loves everyone and everything. He is so sweet.

Kris said...

Yeah, this is worth celebrating. How exciting as a mom to see your little boy do something that you totally didn't expect. I bet he loves his tickle sessions with his mom. You are so good Tiff.

SuzanSayz said...

Hey, we take our victories where we can. In our family, last Sunday we were thrilled that Donald actually had to take Elisabeth out of Sacrament Meeting because she was making so much noise. This from the little girl who for her first thirteen months only made the most minimal of sounds. These little progressions are such exciting news! Hooray for Jake!!!!!!

tharker said...

I did hear about Elizabeth's noise making last week! That is so fabulous, Susan!

Funny though, I bet Donald and Lisa were never so happy to have to take their noisy baby out ;)

AOlson said...

Hooray for Jake!! Kayla LOVES him so. I don't think doctors truly understand the awesome strength that Heavenly Father put in his sweet little children.

Ms. Kristen said...

Jake has a strong spirit! And body! He is out of his chair more than in lately at school! I love to see him be less prohibited!

Adolescent Family said...

I'm so glad to hear your good news! Celebrate EVERY moment, especially the great ones!

You are a excellent mom! Put a jewel in your crown Tiff :)

Sarah said...

Those are little everyday miracles for sure! That is totally worth celebrating and getting excited about. I love that you share these experiences on your blog, I just love reading from your point of view as a mother.

MadMadameMim said...

That is great! I love that there are still little discoveries. It is amazing how trials can help us to appreciate the simple beautiful things in life.

Shells said...

Go Jakey-Boy!

S. Schuller said...

Isn't it amazing how the little things make the biggest difference? Thanks for sharing this sweet experience. Your little guy is the cutest ever!

Stephanie said...

Tiffani,
Elisabeth is L3 L4. Feeling only to her knees. If Jake is allowed to weight bear He should get afo splints for added support to his lower legs and feet and then walk. First with a walker and then with forearm crutches. Come to think of it he might skip the walker like Another friend of Elisabeth's who was six before they taught him to walk. You might have to approach the doctors but hey being household abulatory is a great benefit.

Ann Marie said...

Thanks for your comments!
Good luck shopping!
~ Ann Marie

Kim said...

You're a sweety. I loved this post. I can picture you guys on the floor having your tickle fights. This is great news and after all the bad news I've heard lately its so nice to hear something good!!

Lisa Christine said...

So Exciting! What a wonderful mother you are to Jake (and a great example to me!)

Sara said...

What a wonderful discovery! I am smiling for you!

The Donald said...

That is great to read. I wish that I would have read this post earlier. You are right, it might not mean much to the outside world, but just knowing that your child has feeling in an area that they didn't before is something to celebrate.