While shopping at Target last week in search of a baby shower gift, I had a bad case of the sniffles. I was prepared though. My pockets and purse were loaded with fresh Kleenex, ready to aid in my congestion relief.
I selected a Polo and jeans ensemble for the babe, perused the clearance racks, (I found a sweet little cable knit sweater for $6.24) and wandered through the thank-yous and note card section. All the while sniffing, wiping and blowing my pointy little nose. I arrived at the check out counter shortly after Purell-ing my germ ridden hands, so as to not pass on my sweet cold, and placed my items on the conveyor belt.
As I was swiping my debit card through the reader, I noticed that the checker kept staring at me. I glanced at my items and wondered why she was staring. I wasn't buying condoms or tampons in bulk, or anything strange for that matter. Just a sweater and a baby gift, thank you very much. I decided to shrug off her stares, who cares if she's staring at me, right? I paid for my things, thanked her and went on my merry way.
When I got into my van, the gas light was on, practically screaming at me to fill 'er up, so I mozied over to the Shell. Here's where it gets interesting. As I was inserting the nozzle in to the tank, I happened to glance up at my reflection in the window. (hey, I was having a good hair day...I couldn't help it!) To my absolute horror, I saw a HUGE booger staring back at me. A BOOGER! Right there on the end of my nose! No wonder the checker lady was staring at me with that mingled look of fear and confusion. Should she tell me? What will I say? Poor lady. Poor me.
And that, my friends is how not to top off your Friday morning.
Monday, January 19, 2009
True Story.
Posted by tharker at 10:34 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


27 Thoughts:
That's just wrong. She said have said, something like, "Mam you should take a a trip to the ladies room and check your nose out in the mirror." On second thought its just not a win win situation. How do you address something like that?
That's just nasty!
Ew. So sorry for your humiliation, though.
LOL! Hey at least you got everyone laughing this morning! I thought you were gonna say she accused you of shoplifting the used kleenexes.... Nope. Even better!
I totally would have told you about your nasties...I'm cool like that.
I know you would, Karen. A friend who will tell you when you have something sick on your face is the best kind to have.
Sorry to laugh at your expense, but I could only imagine the checker's thoughts - debating if they should tell you or not. Ha.
That is so something that would happen to me though, so maybe I better not laugh too hard!
Oh dear! I bet that they check out lady was feeling conflicted....tell her...not tell her....tell her....not tell her...
I am laughing here! That is sad and hilarious at the same time. And I really do wonder what the proper thing to say would have been.
A few weeks ago I did something a little bit similar, I realized that I had a big dried out boogar on the front of my sweater. Luckily for me I had not gone anywhere.
Does this mean, that you will avoid Target for a while? Or just the cashier? Or just buck up your pride and if you see Target employees snickering about you when you next go in, you just say within their ear shot, "Well that looks like something my IDENTICAL TWIN SISTER would like"!
I can only imagine the horror you felt, why would she not motion for you to wipe your nose?
Oh Tiffany I feel for you.
Thanks for to laugh though.
Hey I made your orange rolls this morning. They. are. yummy. I know not exactly diet food, but well worth the points. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
I never know what to do in those kinds of situations either. Poor you!
Wow... that's awkward.
LOL!!! That is so sad!!!
Omgosh tiffany, seriously....although it could be worse...I walked all the way through store one time with my skirt tucked into my tights.
count your blessings.
sun
I feel for both of you! She probably went home and told someone about this experience, too.
I totally would have said something to you whether I knew you or not. I think it's just wrong if people let you go on humiliating yourself when they could help you. (I wonder if we got the same cute sweater?)
well, althought embarrassing, it makes for a great story to tell :) lol, thanks for the laugh!
Oh NO! That checker totally should have said something. GLad you can at least laugh about it now.
Yikes. One thing is for sure, every one of us will experience this.
I love your true stories. Thanks for brightening my Tuesday morning, it was much needed!
That is horrible. My worst social nightmare.
Okay, I just had to share. When I was at Target this morning - I totally bit it! I mean actually slipped and fell and landed on the ground with people all around in the parking lot. What's with Target and embarassing moments??
So do you think that the checker put this on her blog too? Nothin' like embarrassing moments. It seems that I have too many of them, though--hmmm....humility....humiliation. I think I get it.
I makes me shudder a little just thinking about it. So sorry!
ah! and all at my expense! but this new babe of mine will be one well dressed dude thanks to you and you and your embarassment. ha!
love, lindsay
Oh, too bad! this makes me giggle just to think about it!
Post a Comment