Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lion House Rolls.


I took advantage of a quiet afternoon on Wednesday to try out the Lion House Dinner Roll recipe. They were very good, and it only takes a couple of hours to make them. Spencer and I both agree that we still prefer the Butterhorn rolls that he grew up on, but these are still very tasty. On those days when I don't have the full 8 hours needed to devote to the Butterhorns (or 4 if I use my bread machine on the Dough setting) I will definitely make these.


Lion House Dinner Rolls
{2-3 dozen}

2 cups warm water

2/3 cup powdered milk

2 Tbsp yeast

1/4 cup sugar

1/3 cup melted butter

1 egg

2 tsp salt

5-5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour


In a large bowl or electric mixer, combine water and powdered milk; mixing until milk is dissolved. Add yeast and sugar and allow to bubble up. Next, add the butter, egg and salt. Mix until well incorporated.


Add 2 cups of the flour, and mix for a couple of minutes. Add 2 more cups of flour mixing again for a couple of minutes. Dough will begin to stiffen, so add the rest of the flour in 1/2 cup at a time until dough is all pulled from the sides of the bowl and feels soft. It shouldn't be overly sticky, and not stiff. The softer the dough, the lighter and fluffier roll you'll have.


Place a small amount of oil in the bowl and roll the dough around until it is well coated. Cover and let rise until double. {45 minutes to an hour} Roll out and cut rolls into desired shape and size. Place on greased baking sheets, brush tops generously with melted butter and allow to rise until double. {about 1 to 1 1/2 hours} Bake @ 375 for 15-20 minutes or until browned. Brush with melted butter again after they are finished baking.

7 Thoughts:

Kris said...

Great, now I need some rolls. These look so yummy Tiffani. Thanks for sharing another yummy recipe.

Lisa Christine said...

Looks scrumptious!

Amy said...

Those look delicious!!

David said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sarah said...

Yummy, buttery, delicious carbs. That's why I love rolls, and those look really good.

Chelsie said...

I was just saying to myself the other day, "Rolls are SOOOOO not a once a year thing. People who think they are, are CRAZY!" And I was thinking about posting about it. Maybe I should just link here! Your last post made me laugh out loud and I thought, Hmmmmm.... I have to try this some day!

Oh, and the REAL reason I am writing to you is to tell you thank you for your AWESOME comment on Liar Liar Pants on Fire. It was so true to life. I was thinking, ooh, I shouldn't write back until I have something encouraging and worthwhile to say! But, it turns out I am just saying thank you. Your comments always make my day. Thank you!

Kate said...

It is sunday today, meaning a good day for some homecooking...Hope they turn out well!
Thanks for the recipe! :)