If you've ever been at my house come 5pm, you've more than likely heard these 6 words uttered, "What should I make for dinner?"
I've never been super organized when it comes to cooking dinner. Normally, I'll plan out for a week or so. And wouldn't you know it, one of three things usually happens. Either I didn't plan well enough and I'm missing ingredients (this drives my husband crazy!) or I'll change my mind and decide I want to cook something different. Oh, and of course I don't have the ingredients for that either. Both scenarios include yet another trip to the grocery store. And guess what happens there? I usually end up buying more than I planned for because it sounds good, or I forgot that we were almost out of something...or whatever!
Or...I decide that since it's so late, we just need to eat something quick. Which usually translates to "not very healthy". Enough said.
Please tell me I'm not the only one that does this.
Please?
I saw Karrie's Menu Planner several months ago and loved the idea. But here's the problem that I've realized about myself. I'm basically lazy. I knew it would take some time to sit down and figure out a month's worth of menus and then to compile a grocery list. So, I did what my lazy self always likes to do. I put it off. "I'll try that next month" Famous last words.
Well, I'm done. I don't want to be lazy cook anymore. To be honest, I have been in this funk for quite some time. Before I was pregnant with Eva, I cooked a healthy meal almost every night. Although I lacked the organization, I felt like I was doing a fairly decent job in the dinner area. But then came the morning sickness (all day and all night sickness) and I did not want to cook. At all. And really, it hasn't improved much since then. Well, she's 13 months now, people. It's time for me to get off the lazy train.
This afternoon was my first step off of that train. I downloaded Karrie's menu planner and compiled my list of meals. After filling in the chart, I went through each recipe and made a monster sized grocery list. Then Miss Eva and I made our way to the grocery store and filled our cart to the brim with items for a month's worth of meals.
Yeah. This having a plan thing? It feels fabulous!
Who knew?
{go HERE to download Karrie's FREE menu planner}
Or...I decide that since it's so late, we just need to eat something quick. Which usually translates to "not very healthy". Enough said.
Please tell me I'm not the only one that does this.
Please?
I saw Karrie's Menu Planner several months ago and loved the idea. But here's the problem that I've realized about myself. I'm basically lazy. I knew it would take some time to sit down and figure out a month's worth of menus and then to compile a grocery list. So, I did what my lazy self always likes to do. I put it off. "I'll try that next month" Famous last words.
Well, I'm done. I don't want to be lazy cook anymore. To be honest, I have been in this funk for quite some time. Before I was pregnant with Eva, I cooked a healthy meal almost every night. Although I lacked the organization, I felt like I was doing a fairly decent job in the dinner area. But then came the morning sickness (all day and all night sickness) and I did not want to cook. At all. And really, it hasn't improved much since then. Well, she's 13 months now, people. It's time for me to get off the lazy train.
This afternoon was my first step off of that train. I downloaded Karrie's menu planner and compiled my list of meals. After filling in the chart, I went through each recipe and made a monster sized grocery list. Then Miss Eva and I made our way to the grocery store and filled our cart to the brim with items for a month's worth of meals.
Yeah. This having a plan thing? It feels fabulous!
Who knew?
{go HERE to download Karrie's FREE menu planner}




11 Thoughts:
I can totally relate. We [I] never know what's for dinner. And, like you mentioned, we rarely have the ingredients for what we decide we want (when we finally decide we want it). And before we know it we are sitting at Chico's Tacos. Which might be why we are their number one customers....
Why were you up at 1:23 am????
Good for you! I'm anxious to hear how it all works out.
1:23am? I was sound asleep then.
here is my question...when you plan for a month do you get the fresh produce ingredients as you go...or how do they last for that last week of the month? I do my meal planning for 2 weeks...since that is our pay period anyway. but the fresh stuff I usually get at the beginning of each week. so I am just curious if the month thing you do the same thing or if you eat all of your fresh stuff up in the first week or so...just wondering, because I had a friend that swore she only went to the grocery store once a month and sometimes she could go for two months...
What an awesome idea! I love it. Thanks for the link to the download. That will be super helpful. Thanks to Karrie too. :)
Tiffany,
I bought all of my fresh stuff yesterday along with everything else. Lettuce and Spinach last quite a long time if kept correctly. I always put them in gallon ziploc bags with a paper towel inside. This helps soak up some of the moisture, and I have had it last for weeks at a time. We go through things like tomatoes, apples, bananas, grapes fairly quickly, so I end up needing to replace those about every week and a half or so.
I used to shop for a months worth of meals at a time, years ago and I only needed to go to the store for milk, eggs, bread and a few fresh produce items during that time. I haven't shopped this way in a long time, but it worked before. Like I said, I just got lazy.
What a good idea for your spinach to last longer. I love it. I too like this idea. I've kinda done something similar to this before, but it's nice to be re-motivated!
Ummm, so I am totally lazy, too. That's why I went to Yokes today and bought 40 boxes of cereal. I hope it works out for you! Maybe when I am in my new hosue with my monster pantry and kitchen I can follow your lead.
You are not alone friend. I struggle with the same thing. Thanks for the motivation.
Thinking up something for dinner every night is the bane of my existence. I know I should be more organized but it's not how I was put together.
Oh,btw, be sure and go to my newest post. I have changed my little number guessing contest too make it a little easier. You can enter all new numbers for today if you would like, or keep them except for the one over 150.
I hate to cook, but I love to eat. Which ends up with me being hungry at the end of the day. yeah, I'm a lazy cook, too. I tried doing the plan ahead thing, do well for a month and then the next month I'm off it. I don't think I have enough meals. Oh well, We're still alive.
Post a Comment