Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The air has been let out

I love Christmas time. As a child, I would be on pins and needles all through the month of December aniticipating the big day. As Christmas drew closer, I could feel the anticipation growing more and more each day. Then Christmas Eve came and of course we would go to bed early, but could hardly sleep because of all the excitement, and it seemed like just when I would finally fall asleep, my brothers would come in and wake me up telling me Santa had come. We would race out to the living room and gaze at the scene before us, wide eyed and now fully awake.

Each of us would have our own separate piles laid neatly next to our Santa gift. The stockings bulging with oranges and candy(Somehow, the orange never got eaten, just the candy, crazy to me now, because I love oranges) We would then take turns opening all of the gifts under the tree and spend the next few hours happily enjoying our new treasures. But it always seemed to me that as the day went on that it was just over. Like all of the air had been let out of an extremely large balloon, and we were just left with the limp old flat balloon. Every year that feeling seemed to grow even larger.

Now that I'm a parent, I still feel the excitement of Christmas, but it's more for the excitement and the wonder I see in my childrens' eyes as they wake up Christmas morning. As I sit wrapping their gifts each year, I can picture their individual reactions and the joy in their voices as they run into the room.

Yesterday morning was like many other Christmas mornings. The kids ran in and were delighted to see that Santa had indeed found them at Grandma's house instead of our own. You can just feel the excitement in the air as everyone awaits to open their gifts. We all took turns(youngest to oldest), and Hannah had fun "playing Santa" passing out all of the presents. At one point, as she was passing out gifts to her cousin Samantha, she looked at Samantha's pile, and said,"Wow, Mantha you must have been a really good girl this year!" I loved sitting back and watching all of this.

The kids had a great time and played all day long with only a few scuffles over new toys. It's bound to happen when you have five kids under 7 in the same house! But once again I was left feeling like the air had been let out of my balloon. It's just over. Why is that? I have my own theory of course. I think it's because I don't focus enough on what I should be focusing on at Christmas. I sat back yesterday and tried to think of how many times I had thought of Jesus Christ in the last three days, and it made me sad to know that it wasn't near as many times as it should have been.

Although there was one moment that I felt a little better about it all. On Christmas Eve, during family prayer, Hannah prayed that we would have a good Christmas, that we would all go to sleep right away, and that we would all remember what Christmas is really about and remember Jesus.

So that's my resolution for next year, to try to focus it all more on the Savior. Maybe then I will feel like the balloon is still full long after Christmas has come and gone.

6 Thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Mom told me about Hannah's letter to Santa Clause that she tied to the tree. Perhaps you could post the letter. It sounded cute, but Mom couldn't remember exactly how it went.

Michelle

tharker said...

She wrote a letter to Santa that said
Dear Santa,
I'm sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, but my Mom and Dad gave me a camera for my birthday. But I hope you like the cinnamon rolls. Merry Christmas from Hannah.

I cracked up when I read it. She had asked for a camera, a bike, and a radio on her Christmas list to Santa. When she saw that she got a bike, she was excited, but her first comment was "Ok, where's my radio?" One day she'll understand that we don't get everything on our list!

Anonymous said...

OK, Hannah is too cute!

Anonymous said...

Just like her mom!

Anonymous said...

That's funny about the radio. Apparently Samantha is the same way. On our way home, she said, "I'm sad that Santa was naughty and didn't get me my beautiful cell phone". Well then, I am glad she didn't get the beautiful cell phone because now she knows that she isn't always going to get everything she wants. That is a good thing to learn, isn't it?

Brooklet said...

Oh, its good to let kids know early that life is full of disappointments. . . does that sound like YLF?

I liked Claire's age for Christmas this year- she didn't really quite understand that concept of Santa, and was pleased with all her gifts- we couldn't get her to leave the living room all day long, because thats where all her new toys and dress ups were. It is pretty cute.