Thursday, December 21, 2006

My little poet

Ever since Hannah started school last year, she has been a reading and writing machine! We go through lots and lots of paper. We have even had to start limiting her to 3 pieces a day! In fact, a few days ago, my kids were at Lindsay's house to play and Lindsay asked Hannah if she would like to color, and Hannah told her that she had already used her 3 pieces for the day and she wasn't allowed anymore. Lindsay tried to reassure her that she could use paper at her house, but Hannah wouldn't go for it. What an obedient girl I have! Too bad her mom is the paper Nazi! "No paper for You!!!"

Hannah wrote this poem after reading another Christmas poem that her Aunt Monica wrote. She ran as fast her legs would take her to the computer room and grabbed her papers 3, and started writing as soon as she could. I thought it was a great little poem, so I wanted to share it with all of you.

Christmas Fun
by Hannah
age 7 (well, she'll be 7 in two days)

The kids were excited and I was too
For what Santa was bringing, we didn't have a clue

Dad hung the Christmas tree and decorated it too
Shining brightly with colors red, green and blue

Mom wrapped the presents with bows red and green
Such a magical sight we never have seen

The children made cookies for Santa, to share
When they woke up the next morning, nothing was there

They ran to see what Santa had brought
The dolls, the trains, and the sweets that they got

I looked in my stocking as I knew that I should
And found a sweet nut, it tasted so good

The children had fun, I did too
A very Merry Christmas we wish to all of you



Hannah did most of this poem by herself. She had a little help here and there, but I was pretty impressed with what she came up with. She is very excited for her birthday and Christmas too. Who knows, maybe Santa will bring her some paper for her very own!

6 Thoughts:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure Hannah wrote this? It is excellent.

meohmyers said...

What a little smartie!! You need to send in some of her stuff to get published! Can't you imagine how excited she'd be to read her poems in a magazine?

tharker said...

Yes Hannah wrote most of it. She needed help finding a few words that rhymed, and just putting the sentences together in the right format, but she did the rest. I was pretty proud!

Anonymous said...

That is really good. Way to be such a paper Nazi- it really forces her to channel all her creativity so as not to waste a precious space on her 3 pieces.

Alicia Leppert said...

wow, I'm impressed.

Brooklet said...

Wow, that is really good!! and she is only 6 (7)!! I agree with sending it into a magazine.