Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and in honor of that momentous occasion I will share our one and only Valentine's story. Yes, there is only one. We have been married for ten years, but after I share the story of this particular V-Day, you'll see why there were no more.
We had been married for about 6 weeks when Valentine's rolled around. Still feeling very much the newlywed, I was so excited for our first Valentine's Day together. I got Spencer his very favorite chocolates and a cool book and could barely contain myself at the thought of what my sweet new groom had in store for me.
Spencer came home from work that day to find a lovely dinner of nothing less than broiled chicken and pasta roni (hey, I was 19 and only had been married a little over a month! I was no Betty Crocker.) I also threw in some Sparkling Cider for the occasion! I was so excited because Spencer had brought home flowers! They were so pretty, and they made me feel beautiful and loved.
After dinner, we headed out to the movies with friends. They were talking about what they had exchanged for Valentine's and asked us about our gifts. I began gushing about my sweet and thoughtful husband and how much I loved the flowers. They were impressed with his charm and love for his new bride.
Until....he opened his mouth...
(For a little background Spencer was working at Airborne Express at the time)
He proceeded to tell them that as he made his last stop for the day, which happened to be a flower shop,(keep in mind that I'm picturing him going in and thoughtfully choosing flowers that would best fit his new bride's taste) he noticed that they were throwing a bunch of flowers out in the dumpster, and asked them if he could have them to take home to his wife!!!
WHAT!!!! He gave me flowers out of the dumpster?? He's got to be kidding, right? I stood there in shock and confusion, while our friends tried not to bust out laughing. I turned to him and questioned him about it, and he was truly proud of his little gift. His gift that he dug out of the GARBAGE for ME!
Needless to say, Valentine's Day was ruined for this girl. Looking back, it's completely hilarious to me and always brings a good laugh. I've learned not to take this holiday too seriously. It's always a very welcome surprise when he does (which is a rare moment) bring home a little something to celebrate V-Day.
He's no romantic, but, he is MY Valentine, and I wouldn't want any other!
Happy Valentine's Day to all!
Tuesday, February 13, 2007
A romantic he is not...
Posted by tharker at 9:40 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 Thoughts:
Tiffany, I love that story because my husband is not really a romantic either, he tries, but just isn't great at it. And frankly, I don't care. I think exchanging gifts between spouses is way overrated, and I would rather just go to a movie, or dinner, or stay home and order in. I have never understood women who get upset if their spouse doesn't shower them with gifts.
Thanks for the great story.
I'm the same way. I'm tickled pink if he just remembers an occasion such as our anniversary! Which he has forgotten twice!(And it was two years in a row) The first time he REALLY forgot, and the second time he was pracically knocking on death's door, he was so sick, that I let him off easy. He tries, and that's all that matters to me.
Great story! I can totally see Spencer being so proud of the Valentine's Day dumpster diving!
Our family just isn't in to giving gifts. For my parents silver aniversary, my dad took my mom to burger king and gave her a silver dollar (which he later reclaimed for his silver dollar collection).
And one time, when he was a mortician (sp?), he took some flowers from a grave stone (the gardner was going to throw them away so he could mow the lawn) and gave them to my mom.
I love that story. I can just see Spencer so innocent and proud as he admits he got your flowers out of a dumpster. Hey at least he was thinking of you! Dan and I exchanged v-day gifts when we were first married, but now we are lucky if we can go to dinner. I am OK with that.
I'm so glad to hear that story! It's so reminiscent of a disastrous Mother's Day I experienced 7 years ago. Glad I'm not the only one!
What a funny story, Tiffani! You all are much better women than I am. I fully expect to be romanticized on special occasions. Gifts are great, but the thought is even better. My husband builds up every holiday, I can't help but get excited. Unfortunately this year might stink. I have three sick children, a husband that has to go to mutual, oh yeah, and the Cazier children are staying with us until Sunday. Oh well, maybe we can escape and go on a walk or something.
Tiffany, your music is great, I love Michael, but how the heck did you get your music on there so perfect? You're the only one I have seen that has the music just right.
Classic!
Sorry I goofed up the last comment. Marilyn I got the website off of Heather's blog. It's hotget.com You just pick your song, and follow the directions from there. Good luck : )
I love this story! I think I have finally realized that if I want something nice on a holiday I have to buy it for myself! I do have to give Luke some credit, he is great at random suprises, when I am totally not expecting them.
Wow, Tiffany, that's almost as bad as my I.O.U. Christmas. What a funny story. I am not one of those women that needs showered with gifts, but I am a die-hard romantic and fortunately I married a man who makes a big deal out of the "expected" romantic occasions (v-day, anniversary, b-day). But I agree with Danyelle, it's totally the thought that counts. I would much rather have a random note stuck to my mirror that says "I heart U" over flowers or a new shirt or something.
Cute post Tiffani. Gotta love Spence. Thanks for the birthday phone call. Hope you have a Happy Valentine's Day.
Post a Comment