Monday, July 30, 2007

No, it's not an ambulance siren, it's just my child screaming

Every mother has been there. And if you haven't been there yet, don't worry, you will!
You know what I'm talking about. The super awesome, fantastic grand-daddy of all fits thrown by your sweet child. In public no less! Your child could never stoop so low, you say. Wait for it, cuz he/she will.

My sweet Jacob left us around his 3rd birthday last September and has only popped back in occasionally just to let us know that he is in fact still around. In his place, we got a screaming, whining, "I want it NOW" 3 year old. It's been loads of fun I tell you! He tells me that he will be back to his old wonderful, obedient, patient self as soon as he turns 4. He also informs me that he will be willing to give kisses and hugs again around the time that he gains his 4th notch on his belt. I know that I can take his word for it because Hannah and Josh told me the same things at the age of 3, and lived up to their end of the bargain. I've said it before. 3 years old and I do not get along very well.

Take today for instance.
We head to the store to pick up some milk, and a few other essentials and while we were there, we ran into half of the community. We saw Karen and Kim, and also visited with Lindsay for a minute.(If Lindsay would ever get a blog, I could link her name too!!! J/K) Jake told me that he wanted a drink from the drinking fountain half way through the store, and by the time I had finished my shopping, I had forgotten all about it. Oh the horror. A mother who doesn't fall to her child's every whim the minute he asks for it! Can you believe my nerve? Karen and I ended up at the check out at the same time, so we walked out together. Just as we hit the doors to leave, Jake remembers that he wanted a drink and as we are already out of the store, I tell him that we'll get a drink at home.

Oh, no. What have I done? To his horror, I said no to something that he wanted, which by the way he should be well used to by this time in his life, it happens a lot! Apparently he didn't agree with me, and he threw the MOTHER of all fits as we were leaving the store. Lindsay was clear back in the cereal aisle and she said she could hear some kid screaming. Yeah, that would be my child. Isn't he awesome? He can scream so loud that even the people IN the store can hear him wailing outside, what talent!

But it gets worse. Whilst in the throes of weeping and wailing and gnashing of his teeth, his gum fell out of his mouth. He then proceeded to scream so loudly that I was sure someone was going to call Child Protective Services because by the sounds of it, clearly a child was being abducted or maimed or something horrible. Karen and I had ended up parking near each other too, so we quickly walked to our vans, while I was trying to remain as composed and calm as I possibly could. In the meantime, Sienna(Karen's youngest) was sitting in the back of their cart munching on her bag of almost stolen puffy Cheetos, looking at Jake like he was a crazy man. I say "almost stolen" because apparently as Karen was going through the store, Sienna picked up the contraband, opened it up and snacked to her heart's content. So naturally, Karen had to buy the bag. Pretty funny actually. I'll take that over Jake's screaming any day!

It's funny how the 2 minute drive to my house feels like ETERNITY when I've got a child screaming like they have been possessed with Rosemary's baby. There was nothing I could do, so I just started to laugh. It was either that, or drive us off a cliff just to end the misery. When we got home, I put Jake on his bed and told him to stay there until he could settle down, and THEN he could come and apologize to me. I checked on him 3 times within a 30 minute period people! Every ten minutes, I would ask him if he was ready to be nice and apologize, and he said "No" every time. He is so stubborn, that one! Finally after 30 minutes, he was ready to tell me he was sorry and all was better.

Seriously though. What a fun trip to the store. So all you mamas out there who have dealt with this, you are not alone. We're all going through the same things. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one.

One more thing:

I cannot wait until he is 4!!!

12 Thoughts:

PRP said...

It was so awesome!!! I'm glad that FOR ONCE, Sienna was sitting quietly in the cart and I could watch someone else go through life with a strong willed child. It made me feel much better about my own children and their tantrums, because even though you know every mother can relate, you don't really believe it until you see it for yourself. And today, boy oh boy did I see it for myself!

Sit down with a good book and take a few minutes for yourself! You deserve it!

Shayla said...

Seriously!! I do not know what they mean when they talk about the terrible two's...obviously they came up with that BEFORE they realized what a 3 year old can act like. I'm right there with ya, Tiffani. My 3 year old can reach that high pitch wail that only dogs can hear in a matter of seconds over the smallest thing. I think Wal-mart just breeds the tantrums by pumping something into their stores, that's where all our ugly ones happen too. And the stubborn time-outs...we have those all the time. What is so hard about saying I'm sorry!? Really? Does it have to be this hard? I'm all for the fourth birthday, too.

shoeaddict said...

Ummmm, I don't think I'm going off the pill anytime soon. hee hee hee

Emily said...

I agree.. Terrible twos, nah. 3 is the magic number for tantrums. My kids both went through that at 3 and I can totally sympathize. I hope you had a nice hot bath after that. You definitely deserve it!

Kris said...

Ok, this must be the day for those tantrums. Sydnee threw the biggest fit at swimming lessons today! Too many people that I knew were around. I was getting so frustrated. I think I embarrassed my entire family image. It was so bad. Plus to top it off, Tyler threw a fit at church yesterday and he would NOT walk out with me normal. I was dragging him to escape the disaster, and I feel like I made it worse. Oh, I hate it when my kids do this! The joys of being a parent! Thanks Tiff, for posting about this. I don't feel so bad knowing that we all have been through it recently!

Heather said...

The other night as Jeremy and I were laying in bed I had to quote you, so Kaden could live to see another day.

Four is so close for both boys!! Unfortunately, Brynners is just about to round two...

Brooklet said...

I know I am only three months into it, but Claire's three has been sooooo much better than her twos. Though we still get those fits here and there. I am a bit nervous to see what throwing a new baby into the mix will do for her. We had a bazillion of those mother of all fits when she was two- I was that mom, carrying a screaming, kicking, FLAILING child, trying to finish up my shopping and get the heck out of public. I will never, never judge another mom and screaming kid again!

Naomi said...

ah ha thats so funny. It totally inspires me to wanna have children...not. actually in all honestly it doesn't bother me. It is all part of the excitement to look forward too.
And yes I remember when I was babysitting a few kids i know very well for a week there was a terrible three year old and one night he just started screaming bloody murder and would not shut up! All the other kids were already in bed and he didn't want to. It wasn't fun and it was embarrassing being as i am not their mom and all.

btw i used that link for the blog templates and I never used one of hers but I used her assistance to create my own! Thanks for the tip!

Sarah said...

I hope that you get a break from another tantrum for a while. They sure whipe you out, especially when you're in public and are trying to stay under control without killing your child. I know how you feel, and I try to give other mothers that knowing smile when I see them going through the same thing. But we are foolish if we think the tantrums will stop. Just wait until they are teenagers, then the big ones come out!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, man. Wow. I seriously CAN wait for one of those. :) Sounds like you handled it like a pro, though. Lucky to have a mom that just decides to laugh.

p.s. I _love_ your new template. Where did you get it?

hatch said...

I can so relate to your experience. I am completely with you on the three year old thing. Both of my kids have been monsters at three. Unfortunatly for me Chloe just turned three in May so I still have three for a while. She can scream and throw a fit with the best of them, and of course she is at her best when we are in public. I do not like to take her anywhere. Anyways it was fun to see you I think Wal-mart was the place to be yesterday morning.

dandee said...

I love four year olds! I wish Owen could skip right over his third birthday!