Yesterday being the 4th of July, I spent a good 2 and a bit hours out in the blazing hot sun pulling weeds. To answer your question, yes these are indeed the same weeds that Hannah implored our Home Teacher to pull for us! Why you ask would I be pulling weeds out in 100 degree weather? Oh ya know, I just love to torture myself! No really.
Actually, I have been meaning to do it for a looooong time now, but being the lazy girl that I am, of course I put it off. I'm not really an outdoorsy work kind of girl now am I? Before you think I'm totally lazy, I'll let you know that I do work hard! Ask me to clean a house and I'm all over it! I'll work my tail off. I love to clean. I take great pride in the fact that my home is almost always very clean. I just really don't enjoy working outside. I never have. Ever since the days of working out in the garden growing up. We had fun working together, but...and this may come as a shock to some of you.... I don't really like getting dirty. That's basically what it boils down to. As I have previously admitted my vanity, I shan't go into it again though. I just don't enjoy the feeling of dirt on my toes, and under my fingernails. It sicks me out. Call me a wimp, a wienie, a Pris miss. That's okay with me. I came to accept my aversion to dirt long ago, I can handle it.
Anyway.....back to yesterday. As there was a jungle growing along the back of the fence, and since my husband was exhaustedly snoozing away on the couch, I decided to just do it. So I donned my garden gloves(that have been used a total of maaaaaaaybe three times) grabbed a honkin' size bottle of water, and headed outside. After a while, my neighbor must have taken pity on me and came out to visit with me for a minute. Such a nice man. Of course I can't understand half of what he is saying because he has a very thick accent, but still a nice man. This little visit must have re-energized me, because after that, I was a weed pulling machine! Four very large black garbage bags, and an almost heat stroke later, my work was done. There is still some stubborn grass hanging along the fence line, but Spencer went to pick up some Round-Up this morning, and hopefully the ugly mess will be history!
So today, I'm sportin' a lovely farmer tan, along with a sore back and legs. But that's all right with me. At least I dug in, no pun intended...and got it done! Who knows, maybe those gloves might get a little more use after all...
Thursday, July 05, 2007
Wouldn't have lasted a day as a Pioneer
Posted by tharker at 7:43 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 Thoughts:
Good for you! I actually really enjoy working in the yard... but we are renting right now and are not allowed to touch the landscaping AT ALL. EVER. So, I just watch others do it. :S
This post made me laugh picturing you going to town on those weeds. Isn't it kind of theraputic? We swore when we moved into our new house we would just plant grass clear up to the fence line and not worry about flowerbeds and weeds. That sure didn't happen, so I try to enlist my daughter to go out and have some "fun" pulling weeds.
I'm not a big garden person either. One day Tyler needed some good punishment, so Jack made him pull weeds. He hated it so much. He hasn't needed to pull them since. This was fun to read! Enjoy that rockin' Farmer Tan!!
I'm with you Tiffani! I have to tell you, I LOVE reading your blog! You are so entertaining and CUTE! I love that we can keep tabs on each other! Hope I get to see you when I'm in WA at the end of the month!
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who doesn't like the feel of dirt! But you have motivated me to go and trim my rose bushes!!! I haven't done it since we have moved in here, they are becoming "climbing" roses!!
Emily-
I would love to get together when you're here! Look me up!!!!
I keep intending to get outside and weed, too, but I must admit I'm totally shrinking off because of the heat or wanting to go and take a nap while the babes are sleeping or whatever else, so I'm admiring you for getting out there. :)
Post a Comment