Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Adventures in potty training

Yes, I have finally started to potty train Jake. Yes, he's 4 years old. My reason for waiting this long has to do with his disability. Becoming proficient in using the bathroom can be a huge challenge for a child with Spina Bifida. I wanted to wait until he was old enough to really tell me if he could feel things going on down there. It's tricky with him because he can feel the sensation when he needs to have a B.M., but not so much when he needs to pee. {I'm really sorry if the potty talk offends anyone} We tried a little bit when he was 3, but I don't think he understood all that was going on in that crazy area. So we have put him on the toilet whenever he expressed the urge throughout the last year, but now I've decided that it's time. He is ready. I am not. However, recently my sister in law and I were discussing diapers, and we figured out that I have been changing diapers for 8 years straight! Yep, 8 years people. Can you even imagine how much money we have spent on diapers?! So whether I'm emotionally ready, I am definitely physically ready!

Last night, I was researching toilet training children with S.B.(and by research, I mean Google...what would we ever do without it?) and I suddenly became so overwhelmed with the whole process, that I sort of had a mini breakdown. My husband wasn't home, so I did what anyone who's in freak out mode would do. I called a dear friend. I'm not sure that she could even understand what I was saying as I was incoherently sobbing on the phone, but after a few minutes, she was able to talk me down from the ledge of my insanity. It's not just the process that will need to be followed, but it's the big picture that completely overwhelms me.

The actual potty training isn't that hard. Basically, a strict schedule of timed potty visits need to be planned and followed. What I'm having such a hard time with is the thoughts that keep creeping up in my mind of the struggles that Jake will have with this his entire life. He can be trained to "go" at certain times of the day, but he will have accidents, even when he's older. The thought of him sitting in class, and having an accident is so sad to me. I know that little kids won't mean to hurt his feelings, but I know it will happen. I guess I'm just trying to steel myself for it, because it's not an "if" it happens, it will happen. I want him to be as independent as he can be in this area because it will affect his life in such an emotional and psychological way. I know I just need to take this thing one day at a time, but it's a hard concept for me sometimes. All I tend to look for when I think of Jake is the big picture. I'm trying not to let him down, but sometimes I don't think I'm doing that great at it. That is why I had my little meltdown last night. I know in my heart that I'm the best thing for Jake, and that I really am doing my best, but sometimes it's hard to convince my head of it too.

So today, I asked Jake if he would like to start using the potty and of course he agreed, BECAUSE HE'S FOUR! It is now 9:47am, and he has gone THREE TIMES already! Yay Jakey! This will be a huge work in progress, and it scares the crud out of me (no pun intended), but I can't wait for the day that he feels like he can do it!

11 Thoughts:

Emily said...

You are an amazing Mom and you CAN do this! What a special little boy you have. He'll do just fine. Like you said, "look at the big picture." Go Jakey!

Marilyn said...

Good luck, I can't imagine how hard that must be. But I am sure you will handle it well and teach Jake important life lessons along the way.

Kris said...

Potty training is not fun! But you have a great attitude, and I'm with you on waiting til the child is ready! I tried to force Tyler to be potty trained way too early, and it was not a good experience! That's great that Jake is doing so well today!

Heather said...

Keep up the great work!

Sarah said...

You are such a good and sensitive mom with the best intentions. You are probably stronger than you think, and that little boy has that same strong spirit it sounds like. Try not to get discouraged, I'm pulling for you and Jake. Yay for three times already today!

PRP said...

1) You ARE exactly what Jake needs.

2) As you know, Jake has exceeded every expectation ever put before him.

3) The kid's a total stud. When those times with other kids occur, and they will, he will know how to handle it because of what you've taught him.

4) We already know why Jake chose this body. We just have to let him teach us because of it.

Happy day to you! Here's to Spidaman underwears! (That's how he would say it...)

dandee said...

Good luck Tiffani! I won't be surprised when you post how successful this endeavor has been. Jake can do it!

Brooklet said...

Wow, ditto what PRP said- perfect- Jake is our little superman and you're his super mom.

Nancie said...

You ARE amazing. What a strong woman. potty training DOES payoff!

Melissa said...

Your template has disappeared... :S
We trained Little Bug when he was five. For some very similar reasons. He has no language. He can't tell us when he has to go. I didn't know how to explain the whole process to him. So, we waited till we thought the timing was right. He caught on really quick! He still needs help, but overall he has done really well. It sounds like he's off to a good start! Good luck!

Elizabeth said...

This was touching for me to read...particularly the part about having a friend to cry to, and how tenderly and lovingly you are looking at the situation and how hard it is for you because of your love for Jake. What a beautiful thing.

You are inspiring. There's a reason that precious little boy was sent to you.