My friend Lindsay is always amazed that my kids talk in the car. She says that when they are in the car, running errands and such, that her kids are silent. Sometimes, I wish for that too. But Saturday, we had some funny and thought provoking conversations while running around town.
First up: Hannah
"Mom, I remember when you used to milk me, and I would bite you. Then you would push my mouth away, and tell me not to bite." Never mind that she doesn't actually REMEMBER this, as she was only a year old when I quit nursing her : )
Me-"Ummm, do you mean when I used to NURSE you? We only milk cows."
Hannah-"Yeah, that's what I said."
We were sitting at a stop light when she said this, and I'm sure that the people on either side of me were wondering why that lady was laughing so hard.
Next up to bat: Jake
"Mom, do Jesus and Heavenly Father have capes?"
Me-"Ummm, I don't think so. But I think they wear robes."
Jake-"Well, can they fly with their capes, I mean robes?"
Me-"I don't know."
Jake-"Well, how do they go to the places they want to go? They don't have cars ya know."
Me-"I'm not sure, but I think they can just go wherever they want to. Maybe it's like magic, they can just pop in or something." --Seriously grasping at straws here!
Jake-"Mom, is heaven up in the sky?"
Me-"We don't exactly know where it is, but I think so."
Jake-"How do we get to heaven?"
Me-"When we die, our bodies stay in the ground, and our spirit goes to heaven."
Jake-"But how does our spirit get there?"
Me-"I'm not sure. I haven't been there yet."
Jake-"I think a man comes and helps your spirit get up to heaven."
Me-"Maybe you're right buddy."
Sometimes I am floored by the way a child's mind works. They can say the most profound things. After conversations like this, I realize that my kids just might know a little more about a few things than I do.
We finished running our errands and were subjected to a fictional story by Jake, all about his adventures with a fish that turned into a shark. I kept peeking in my rear view mirror to see what Josh thought of all this talky talk, and judging by the expression on his face, he was thinking that maybe, just maybe Lindsay's kids have the right idea after all!
Monday, October 15, 2007
Conversations in the car
Posted by tharker at 6:39 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


15 Thoughts:
Children amaze me! I have been having similar conversations with Ren lately about Jesus and Heavenly Father and their "powers." He always seems to ask questions that I seriously don't have an answer for. I need to be better about writing the things my kids say down.
I am glad that you can hear your kids while you are driving. That's impressive. Sydnee is in the way back and all I ever hear her do is sing. Loudly! It drives Tyler crazy, so he usually is complaining the entire time! And Porter is usually screaming. So I just turn up the radio and ignore it all. Screaming, whining and singing! Yeah, sounds fun huh? Anyone want a ride somewhere??? I'm sure you are dying to be in my car!!
Those are great conversations. Ours tend to resemble Kristen's more than yours.
I LOVE the way Hannah's mind works.
I love the part about the cape! He's really considered this before asking, I can tell.
Those are some pretty great questions!! I love hearing the things that kids come up with :)
Their little minds never stop trying to figure things out and make sense of everything. It is truly amazing to hear the things that come out of their little mouths sometimes.
Milk her... that is very funny
fun twins guess, and no offense taken! :) (if it were twins, you would have won since you were the only vote for twins)
i'm going to APW.
Deep thought by the harker kids! You know if you wouldn't nurse your kids until kindergarten, they wouldn't remember milking!
There was a lot of thought behind the cape question. Kids understand physics so much more than we do.
Gosh, my kids talk an awful lot about ketchups (kidnappers) while we are in the car. As soon as we get in the car, they want to know where ketchups live, what they look like, what kind of clothes they wear, etc, etc. Enough with the ketchups already!!!
Monica, your kids crack me up with the ketchups!
So Brooke, does this mean I should stop nursing Josh? heehee...can you even imagine?!!! Yuck.
I love talks like these with my kids! What a great memory!
I'm laughing so hard about Brooke's comment! There was this lady in one of my wards that nursed while I did, only my baby was 2 months and hers was 3 1/2 YEARS! That's right a sunbeam!!!! SO CRAZY!
Yeah Jessica, I've been in a couple of wards like that too Crrrazy!
I love car convesations. Although Kristen described how the ones happening in my car usually go.
Josh is deep.
Oh...this was so great. Loved both of the conversations...the funny and beautifully, wonderfully sweet. Thank you for sharing.
Post a Comment