This morning Jake and I ventured over to the new Target in W. Richland to check out the goods. On the way in, I noticed that they had a Starbuck's in the store. Every single fall for the last several years, I hear tons of women raving about the Caramel Apple Cider, and I've wanted to test it out, but never had. Since it was a cool, crisp, fall morning and Starbuck's was right there in front of me, I decided to give it a shot.
While I was waiting in line for my cider, I ran into an old friend that I used to work with way back when. We have children that are the same age, and we have kept in touch through the years. She knows me well enough to know that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. She also knows that because of my membership in my church, that I do not drink coffee.
As I was standing there chatting with her, I felt an urgency to work into the conversation that I was waiting for my CARAMEL APPLE CIDER. I did not want her to think that I was getting a coffee. She said that she liked the drink too, we finished our conversation and she went on her merry way. A little while later while perusing the lovely lamp aisle, I ran into another friend of mine who IS a member of my church. By this time, my Starbuck's cup was empty, and was sitting in the bottom of my cart. As we were talking, I felt very self conscious of the appearance of incriminating evidence lingering in my cart.
I don't know if she even noticed it, but I certainly noticed how uncomfortable I felt. I hated wondering what someone who knows my standards must think if they see that cup in my cart. Even if it is only full of innocent apple cider. Appearances can definitely be deceiving, but I learned a great lesson this morning. As yummy as that cider was, I don't think I'll be taking it from Starbuck's again.
Am I overreacting a bit? Maybe. But I also know that people are watching us all the time. They know how Mormon's choose to live their lives. People know our standards, and I don't want someone to get the wrong idea of what I believe in based on something that they see me doing, saying, or participating in. Even if I KNOW that I'm not doing anything wrong by having a cup of apple cider, to someone else, it APPEARS that I am sucking down a cup of Joe, and I don't want to ever give that impression again.
Thursday, October 11, 2007
It's not coffee, I promise!
Posted by tharker at 4:09 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 Thoughts:
I know how you feel. I used to make the Costo runs when I worked and of course coffee was always on the list, and never fail I would see someone that I knew. I always had to explain what I was doing and that it was not for me. It was just so akward! I can not wait to get over to the new Target!!!
I would have been worried about the same wrong impressions.
Recently I had an experience where I saw a young man who is a recent return missionary and who was looking VERY rough. Tatoo, longer hair, scruffy goatee, looking nothing like an RM. I asked around about him and heard that he looked like that as a joke, and that the tatoo was fake.
Unfortunately, sometimes we forget that the appearance of evil is just as dangerous as sin itself. You never know who you are giving a first impression to.
Made me think.
First off, I think you are overreacting about the cider- I think most people know that Starbucks sells something besides coffee- and I think all of your friends who know you would assume that your cup was full of worms, before they would ever assume you had coffee. I think a message here is don't be too judge too quickly.
Second, you are this is the third blog I have read that specifically mentions the new target! It must be some magical place!!
My first thought when I read this was "avoid the very apperance of evil" But after reading brooklets comment I would have to agree, Don't think anyone who knows you would think you have gone astray!
Oh man, I absolutely LOVE their Strawberry and Creme Frappuccino and go at least a couple times a month to the one over on Rd. 68 on mornings when I get to leave Natie at preschool. It's my little treat to myself. Sometimes I've felt a little guilty as I'm sitting in the drive-thru line and wondering who will see me there and what they will think... I've wondered the same thing...does that mean I shouldn't shop there? Hmmm...something to think about.
I totally agree with Brooke. Most people know that Starbucks sells more than just coffee. And people who know you know that you wouldn't be drinking coffee!
I try to worry less about what people think I might be up to and more about what my actual intention is. If you are stopping by Starbucks to look like a 'cool coffee mom' then, right maybe you should steer clear, but if it's a rare treat on a cool crisp fall day, relax and enjoy it and don't worry what someone may or may not be thinking.
A couple of years ago, while waiting in an airport at 4 in the morning, me and Riley decided to go get some hot chocolate. Well, the only place open at that time was Starbucks. So we got some hot chocolate and took a stroll to kill some time. No one there knew us, but I still felt wierd walking around with a Starbucks cup in my hand like I've seen so many other people do. I really don't care what other people do, but for me personally it felt weird. The hot chocolate was delicioius though. A lot of people go to Starbucks just becuase they think it's the cool thing to do, and here you were just trying to get some cider. Thanks for bringing this thought up.
I love the give and take of this conversation. I hope that no one feels like I am trying to tell them never to go to Starbuck's for their favorite non coffee drinks. That is definitely not my point. For ME it made me uncomfortable. I actually worry more about the people who don't know me, and the impression that I'm giving off.
This has also brought up another subject to my mind. A couple of years ago, I was re-introduced to Pero. It is a natural drink made out of barley, chickory, and rye...mmm...sounds tasty right? But here's the thing, when it's made, it looks like coffee, smells like coffee, and tastes like coffee. So I guess I'm feeling like a big hypocrite right now.
This experience has given me lots to think about. That was my intent for this post...just something to think about.
I have a friend that used to work at starbucks and she told me how to make the caramel apple cider. I made it for an enrichment night a couple years ago. I'll bring the stuff to make it when we come to babysit. I think the kids will like it, too.
When I saw the name of your post I instantly thought that Jake had given you a hard time about it. Maybe because one of my other nephews mentions that "coffee makes you die" when he sees someone that appears to be drinking coffee. Lol.
I'm trying hard to not worry about what others think about me, but I do think that others are watching. Even if we are innocent, the appearance may come across wrong! So you do what is comfortable for yourself. Good thinking for a Friday!
Elizabeth, please share the recipe with me too.
I, too, have felt paranoid on the few occasions I have been carting a Starbucks cup around.
So, get the smoothies because then everyone knows what you are drinking. :)
I didn't realize what a stupid FAD coffee is right now. The ladies I coach with are obsessed with coffee and where to drink it. Drives me crazy, we are totally wasting time on vb trips stopping for a habit. Carmel cider sounds good though
As you know, Tif, I'm not LDS, so will you please tell me about the no coffee thing? I personally cannot stand coffee- the smell makes me want to vomit!
Sigh... this is why I haven't ever tried their hot cocoa. With my luck I would see my Bishop or Stake President or someone like that.
Post a Comment