We spent over two blasting hours tonight on the hunt for marbles. Yes, that's what I said. Marbles, people! We went to two different Dollar Stores, Target, Toys R US, and Wal Mart. Apparently playing this ancient game is all the rage at every school in the Tri, because let me tell you, these little puppies are tricky to find. I did finally find one Dollar Store that said they are getting a shipment in tomorrow, so we'll go check it out I guess.
I bet you are thinking that these precious little glass balls are for Josh huh? NOPE! They are for Hannah! All of the boys in her class are OBSESSED (as is apparently every other 1st and 2nd grader at her school) with marbles. She started playing marbles with these boys a few days ago, and the fever has hit her too. Tonight, she and Spencer had a conversation all about "Bloody Mary's", "Blue Whales", "Oceans", "Pearlies", "Boulders", Grandpa's, and "Pottsies". What???? I guess I missed the memo defining marble lingo in detail!
Hannah's funny. She can play girly-girl stuff with the best of 'em, but she is also not afraid to throw down and play rough with the boys either. She's always been this way, and never has a problem making friends with the boys as well as the girls. It makes me laugh.
So after our fruitless search tonight, we came home with a little girl that was a little bummed. Suddenly she remembered that Jake used to like to roll marbles under the oven (fun game right?) and she BEGGED me to check under there. Well, well, well...what did I find? Oh about 25 marbles, and a WHOLE LOT OF NASTINESS to boot! {By this time Josh and Jake wanted in on the marble action, so each kid only ended up with a few after splitting them up evenly} I guess I should clean that out huh? Practically climbing underneath your oven is a real treat, if you've never tried it, you should definitely put that on your list of "must do things".
The things we do for our children...
Tuesday, October 09, 2007
Losing my marbles
Posted by tharker at 9:47 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 Thoughts:
I don't get the whole marble craze either. Carson is so into them. Every day he comes home and he's either traded for marbles or played for "keepies". It is hard to keep up with the marble lingo. "Mom, I traded my cleary for a tiger eye, but I really want a red rooster." Mmm hmm...sure, Carson...
I totally remember being into marbles in elementary. I think it's very refreshing that such an old fashioned, anti-electronic game is all the rage.
Easton has been bitten by the marble bug as well. Thankfully his Nana did the hunting to support this new hobby. I think she found them at the dollar store next to the old K-Mart in Pasco.
My lil sis used to play those, but I never did. We are only 3 yrs apart... so I must have just missed the craze.
A few days after school started Tyler was already begging for marbles. I just happened to look at Fred Meyer and bought him some for his birthday! But he couldn't wait that long. So he ended buying some with his own money at Wal-Mart a few days later. I'm wishing now that I would have bought the other two bags at FM. Cuz I haven't seen them around since! I too don't know all the names, but Tyler sure does.
I remember growing up we had a HUGE Bottle full of those things. Now I need to ask my mom if she still has them. I hope you find some soon!
I think I might still have some of my marbles from back in the day. Let me check some boxes.
E
I love marbles because they are pretty. I have no clue how to play or that they have names. A "Bloody Mary" to me is a drink made with vodka, V8, spices, etc... I don't have kids and the one I'm around all the time is only 2 1/2.
I'm with shoeaddict- I think they are pretty. There were the rage when I was in school but I never played them, nor did I learn how to play them, nor do I know what they were called. I do remember the bloody mary, and the steely though.
I never played marbles, but finally a cheap, and fun past-time. Isn't it funny how fads come and go and come back again.
ahh the good ol' days!
Hannah reminds me so much of Shayla, I think they would get along so good! ~Can totally hang with the boys but when it's time to be a girl she is as girly as they come!
Marbles, eh? I don't think that craze has happened here... but I guess I should keep my eyes opened just in case!
Hannah sounds a lot like my little gal. She dresses like a princess to play soccer or football in the back yard. And she has to wear her high heeled shoes to play baseball...
Post a Comment