I love Conference weekend. I love that we are able to hang around the house for two days straight, and listen to a Prophet's voice. I love that my kids are all around me. Even if they aren't doing the most perfect job of listening or paying attention, it still makes me happy. I love that Jake can name each member of the First Presidency, and each of the 12 apostles by sight.(Now, we just need to introduce him to Elder Cook!) And because of this little 4 year old's example, Hannah and Josh have now learned who each one is. I love that each time I watch, I feel the determination to do a little better and try a little harder.
I enjoyed all of the talks, but I did have a few favorites. I loved Elder Oak's talk on not just choosing the good, or the better, but choosing the best things. It gave me a lot think about, and improve upon. I loved Elder Wirthlin's talk on charity. Was it not a PERFECT example of the pure love of Christ seeing Elder Nelson so lovingly support him and help calm his shaking body so that he could finish his talk? I have to say the talk that affected me the most, and the one that I took the most away from was Sister Julie B. Beck's talk. Wow! I even watched it again this morning because I knew I needed to hear it again. I took notes this time, and I want to share some of her words that stood out to me. These are the words that I felt so connected to.
"More than any time in the history of the world, we need mothers who know"
"When mothers know who they are, who God is, and have made covenants with Him, they will have great power and influence for good on their children."
"There is eternal influence and power in motherhood."
"They know that if they are not pointing their children toward the temple, they are not pointing them toward desired eternal goals."
"Working beside children in homemaking tasks creates opportunities to teach and model qualities children should emulate."
"Nurturing mothers are knowledgeable. But all the education women attain will avail them nothing if they do not have the skill to make a home that creates a climate for spiritual growth."
"Growth happens best in a house of order and women should pattern their homes after the Lord's house."
"Mothers who know, build children into future leaders, and are the primary example of what leaders should look like."
"Mothers who know, are always teachers. Since they are not babysitters, they are never off duty."
"Think of the power of our future missionary force if mothers considered their homes as a pre-Missionary Training Center."
"Mothers who know, do less. They allow less media in their homes, {I could certainly do much better at this one} less distractions, less activity that draws their children away from their home."
"These mothers choose carefully, and do not try to choose it all." {I think if we all did this we would not feel the "Super Mom complex" so often} Their goal is to prepare a rising generation of children who will take the gospel of Jesus Christ into the entire world. Their goal is to prepare future fathers and mothers who will be builders of the Lord's kingdom for the next 50 years. THAT is influence, THAT is power."
Being a mother is so huge to me. Sometimes I get overwhelmed by all there is to do, and all that I have to prepare my children for. But after hearing this talk, I felt revived. It makes me happy to know that I am doing some of these things very well, but I also know that there are several areas that I can improve upon. Motherhood is my most important job, and I want to do the best that I can.
I loved the closing hymn yesterday, "How Firm a Foundation" is one of my very favorite hymns. The third verse is so personal to me. Every time I hear it, it gives me strength, and I feel like I can do a little more.
"Fear not, I am with thee, oh be not dismayed
For I am thy God, and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand."
I really do want to be a mother who knows.
Monday, October 08, 2007
Mothers Who Know
Posted by tharker at 1:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 Thoughts:
I really liked that talk, too. It's too bad that Jake didn't feel like singing along with that hymn because
it is so cute when he sings. Thanks for breakfast and lunch and the company.
Her talk was very powerful, and was one of my favorites also. Thanks for sharing this.
You are very welcome Elizabeth! I'm glad that you guys could come and spend the day with us.
I've been thinking about this talk since I heard it yesterday. I got so much out of it and it was nice to hear somebody else get so much out of it too. General Conference is always such a good 'boost' and I look so forward to it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
This was a great review of Conference. The talk by Elder Oaks was so good! I have thought a lot about his words too! The notes you took about Sister Beck's talk are great. I need to re-listen to it again too! Thanks for sharing!
I love that you posted this. SO good to hear those words again.
I loved conference.. and I too totally want to be a Mother that knows. That was so inspiring. I blogged about conference on my blog too lol. Seriously my favorite time of year. Can't wait for April.
I loved that talk too. There was so much packed into these two days- I love it.
As mothers in the church, we have so much at our aid and advantage to help us guide our children. These talks spur my determintation to do better and be a better example to my children.
Now I am butting in our your blog..
I loved that talk as well. I am not a mother but I am looking forward to that time, and I hope to emulate SOME of the qualities she talked about.
I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Elder Wirthlin's talk, I love all of his talks really. But this one touched me so much, I loved the message that he gave, but I was so touched by the support from Elder Nelson. That is true support from our fellow members.
Loved, Loved, Loved this talk! Thanks for the recap! I can't wait for the new ensign!
This was also one of my favorite talks. It was so powerful and personal to me, and I am always touched when women speak unapologetically about the unparalleled role women have in motherhood and how important it is.
Her message resonated within me.
Post a Comment