Today is a completely lazy day. After cooking all day yesterday, I am giving myself permission to do (almost) nothing productive today...after the laundry is done of course. The kitchen is clean, the leftovers are in the fridge, and I am looking forward to a turkey/cranberry sandwich for lunch. Let 's take a minute to remind us all how I got to this point.
I awoke yesterday morning with butterflies in my stomach at the looming turkey in my refrigerator. At 6:30am, I got up and started my rolls, {cuz they take 8 hours from start until perfection} we had some pancakes for breakfast, and I jumped in the shower. Hannah and Josh were busy preparing decorations for the table. They had both made some cute Thanksgiving crafts at school, and wanted to use them as the centerpieces. Notice the plural in centerpiece? Yes, there was a scuffle involved over whose project would take center stage on the table, but finally they compromised and settled on Josh's turkey, filled with my tiny pumpkins and gourds if Hannah could fill my wall window with her decorations. Ahh, crisis averted. Great job guys!
Around 10, I realized that I do not own a gravy boat. It's one of the many kitchen items that I never even think to buy. Like a meat thermometer...I just bought one the other day in fact. So I ran out to WalMart for I think the 17th time this week, in search of a gravy boat. But my search was in vain, there was not a single gravy boat to be found. But, I did happen to find a pretty tablecloth for super cheap. Yes, that's another thing that I don't have. How do I not have a single tablecloth? I know, I'm a kitchen loser. What are you gonna do? I called my Mother in Law, and asked her to bring her gravy boat. Another mini problem solved. I came home, checked on the rolls which were rising beautifully I might add. Then I got out the turkey and prepared for battle with the headless wonder. After tearing off the wrapping, to my horror I found that the turkey that had been thawing in my refrigerator in the garage was still FROZEN!!!!
After pulling out the neck and giblets{NASTY} {and after a few not so tasteful words under my breath}, I breathed a sigh of relief. Once I had rinsed it out, I found that it was not frozen after all, there were just some bits of ice that hadn't thawed. Then I had to say a little prayer and apologize for the not so tasteful words under my breath. I chopped up some onions and celery, and threw them into the oven bag, then smothered the turkey in butter and placed it in the bag. I read through the cooking instructions several times just to be sure, and popped the bird into the oven. 4 hours later, I should have a perfectly golden brown, juicy turkey.
My awesome brother in law and his fabulous wife had purchased the clamation Christmas classics at Costco for the kids, so we spent the next couple of hours watching Rudolf and Frosty. Around three, Wileen and I began preparing the finishing touches for the meal. At four, after roasting for 4 hours, I pulled the turkey out of the oven, and popped the rolls in. The turkey wasn't quite as brown as I would have hoped, but I figured it would be okay. Then we poked the meat thermometer in for the final test. Panic struck me as I read that number. 160! How can that be??? It's supposed to be between 170, and 180. I tried to hold them back, but the tears were already filling my eyes. Spencer and Wileen said it would be okay. Spencer decided that we would just cut the breast meat off, and put it into the oven for a little bit to finish cooking, so that we could still enjoy it with our meal. As he started cutting into the turkey, we all noticed the lovely pink coloring filling the cavity of the turkey. Yeah. Blood. Nice. I couldn't be in the room anymore, so I went to my room and shed a few more tears. After a few minutes, I went back downstairs, and tried to salvage the rest of the meal.
After slicing off some of the good breast meat and letting it bake a little longer, we were able to have turkey with our dinner. I guess you could say that another mini crisis had been diverted. Everything else turned out great. The rolls were....AWESOME {sorry to toot my own horn, but they were} the stuffing, potatoes, gravy, cranberries, sweet potatoes, ect...All was delicious.
We put the rest of the turkey back into the oven for another hour or so, and were able to get lots more meat off of it for leftovers, so that was good news.
So I made my first turkey. So it didn't turn out so hot. Better luck next year. At least the rolls were good!
Friday, November 23, 2007
If at first you don't succeed...put it back in the oven!
Posted by tharker at 10:18 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


15 Thoughts:
Tiff, I too cooked my first turkey and the SAME THING HAPPENED! I had to put it back in for another hour!!! I was ticked. I didn't even have yummy rolls to fall back on! I need to come over so you can teach me how to do them so next year if my turkey sucks I will have yummy rolls to divert everyones attention! Love, GENEIL
Geneil! First of all, I'm so glad that you commented! That's crazy that we had the same experience with our turkeys! You can come over any time and we'll bake away ; ) Or you can just come over anytime, I would love to catch up with you when you're in town next time.
Tiffany, hey its kristin Peterson! I've entered the world of blogging and I got your link off of Kristen Hatch's blog. We did our first Turkey, too! it turned out too tough I think. I should have cooked it longer. I had no gravy boat, either. Everything on the table was prety except for a 2 cup glass measuring bowl full of gravy. I have table cloths, but our table is an odd square shaped and none of them fit. Well, it was fun to read your news. I got a chuckle out of it! See you Sunday!
Kristin
I am glad your rolls turned out great. And you will look back at this and laugh. A way my parents have always told me to check is stick a fork in the meat and twist it, if it falls apart it is done. Can't wait to see you!
Hey Kristin! Welcome to my blog!
So funny Lee! Now the saying "Stick a fork in me, I'm done" makes perfect sense!
Big bummer that your turkey didn't finish cooking in time. I would've been upset too! I don't have a gravy boat either. It might be a generation thing, who knows. And I just bought my first tablecloth yesterday for mega cheap! Funny huh? Anyway, your ROLLS are Awesome. Mine turned out great and we all LOVED them! THANK YOU!
That is crazy, I wonder why it wasn't done? I cooked a 20 pound turkey yesterday for 3.5 hours and it was perfectly browned and done.
I'm sorry that your 1st turkey experience wasn't all that great. Better luck next time!
Stupid Turkey! I'm sorry that the turkey was a turkey! Mine was done before my potatoes were done. You know the saying a watched pot never boils? It is so true! I had to shut my eyes just to make the water boil. My gravy wasn't really the best. Everyone said it was great, but I guess I am not a turkey flavoring fan and maybe I just didn't think it tasted swell because I don't like the turkey gravy taste on occasion. I don't know. I just know "when in doubt, add salt". That is from a true salt-aholic. The rolls were good, but I had to get my lightsaber out to protect them from extinction before the dinner was served.
Tiff - the cooking instructions for the roasting bags always lie! Always add an hour at least! I figured that out the hard way just like you did... :-)
Tiffany Beath
Now ya tell me Tiff! Thanks!!!
OK, so maybe its a 2007 thing? cause I too had to cook mine for an extra hour, EXCEPT, that I went to check my turkey after 2 hours and turn it around to evenly brown on both sides (cause I have a ghetto oven) to realize my children has so nicely turned it off!!! KILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a very good thing that I was only providing the turkey. Everything was good other wise though. I need to learn that roll recipe as well tiff. I know, I've been saying it for years now. So when I move back, I'm coming over!
Sounds like a deal Tiff! You know that when you move back that the roll fest is on!
The rolls are the best part anyway!!! :) At least you were still able to have your dinner!
Funny Tiff. I am so sorry that this had to happen. It is always a frantic when you face the bird. Great story.
Post a Comment