Thursday, December 20, 2007

My favorite Sugar Cookie recipe

I got this recipe from Karen, whom I believe got it from Phyliss M.

Karen was making these cookies one day about a year ago, when I stopped by for something. She gave me a few to take home to my family, and I should be ashamed to admit {but sadly, I'm not!} that Spencer and I ate almost all of them. Well, the kids did get one... So yeah, we're gluttons. What are ya gonna do?

Spencer LOVES a good Sugar cookie, so he forced me (okay, so maybe he didn't have to push too hard) to call Karen right away and get this recipe. This is now our favorite Sugar cookie. Not only is it super delicious, but I love the fact that there is NO chilling involved! I don't know why, but that step drives me crazy. I just want to make the dough, and get on with it, so we can enjoy the cookies that much faster! Here is the recipe in all it's glory. So thank me. Then thank Karen. Then thank Phyllis.

The Best Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsp Almond Extract
2 2/3 cups of flour
1/4 tsp salt

Cream butter and sugar. Add the egg, and Almond extract, and mix well. Add in the dry ingredients. Roll out dough 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes. Bake on un-greased cookie sheets for 7-10 minutes.

Yummy frosting- I usually only do half of this recipe, because it's HUGE!

1 1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp Almond Extract
1- 2 1/2 lb. bag of powdered sugar
9Tbsp warm milk

15 Thoughts:

Emily said...

MMMM! Thanks for that recipe. I can't wait to make them with the kids. I've printed out your cinnamon recipe also and am waiting for Christmas Eve to make that as well. I can't wait!

By the way, did you get my email?..I'm sorry it too me so long to get back to you. I hope it's not too late :)

Emily said...

Cinnamon ROLLS that is... in case you were wondering what cinnamon was...LOL!

Brooklet said...

Yeah, I am always on the look out for the perfect sugar cookie recipe- I will give these a try based on Spencer and your testimonials.

April said...

Nice...I'm shopping for a new sugar cookie recipe, I'm finding all to be too bland, too dry, etc. I'll give these a shot tonight!! Thanks!

Heather said...

hmmm.... I don't think I've ever had these. Which is surprising since I have worked with both those gals for a while. I guess I'll have to whip up a batch on my own to test them.

Melissa said...

Yum!! That looks delicious! I've never made them with butter before... I'll have to try it :)

Kris said...

I have a pretty good recipe for sugar cookies, but I'm going to have to try this one. It looks awesome. And I love the ingredients in the frosting. I bet it's so yummy! Thanks again Tiffani, for the great recipes!

Sarah said...

Thanks for always sharing your delicious recipes with the rest of us gals. It's so fun to be able to swap good ideas with other people.

tharker said...

I can't wait to hear about all of your cookie making adventures!

And Melissa, definitely use real butter. That makes the cookie SO yummy. I am a butter snob, and also an extract snob. I try to only use pure extracts whenever possible. I think it makes a HUGE difference compared to the imitaition stuff. I really don't mind being called a snob in this case!

Oooh Emily, I'm excited that you are going to do the Cinnamon rolls for Christmas Eve. That's when we do our's too. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Jessica said...

Thanks for the info! We are making some tomorrow, we will have to give these a try!

hatch said...

Oh I will have to try these! They sound wonderful!

Kelly said...

Yummy! I'll have to give these a try and that frosting sounds Delish. I think we'll make these this afternoon...Thanks Tharker!!

Joanne Brown said...

Sounds yummy! I was looking for a good tried-and-tested sugar cookie recipe, so thanks :) Will make them with my kiddos this weekend :)
joanne

tharker said...

Glad I could share it ladies! I love to share good recipes that I find. I say, if it's yummy, then share the wealth!

Emily said...

Thank you, Thank you!!! I was really hoping you would post this recipe! I can't wait to try 'em!