Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Reason #947 why I HATE Walmart

As I said, last night I ordered my Christmas pictures online. I also ordered a set of invitations for Hannah's upcoming baptism. Usually, I would use Costco for this, but since we haven't renewed our membership, I didn't feel like paying an extra 50 bucks for the renewal just to get my cards.

So I decided to go with Walmart. I've ordered Christmas cards online from them before, and had no problem. There are many options to choose from for the style of cards, and I can use whatever picture I choose, so I was happy. After choosing the cards and placing my orders, my total came to $33.26. Great. I can pick them up by Noon Tuesday, fantastic.

Except it wasn't fantastic. I went in this afternoon to pick up my order and as I was looking through the cards, I noticed the sticker on Hannah's package said $29.66, and our family cards were priced at $20. Ummm...what? That's a SEVENTEEN dollar difference people! I told the woman that Hannah's cards were priced incorrectly, and she of course DID NOT KNOW what she was talking about.

I told her the price that I had been quoted online, and that Hannah's cards were supposed to only be 58 cents each, making the total for hers $11.60. She proceeded to tell me that her price was correct because they were a 5x7 print, and that it was MORE EXPENSIVE to ORDER ONLINE. Hello?? Does anybody else not see her logic? Then she looked up a price in her book and quoted me $1.87 per card. So....that doesn't make sense either because if we go with her math, then the price should have actually been $37.40 JUST for Hannah's cards, instead of the still wrong price of $29.66! STUPID, STUPID, STUPID!

By now, I was fuming! The errand that should have taken me all of about 5 minutes to finish, was taking a ridiculous amount of time. And neither of us were going to budge. Now, if I would have been wrong, I gladly would have paid her price, BUT I KNEW that I wasn't! In fact, by an act of sheer brilliance, I happened to save the invoices that had been emailed to me from Walmart.com!

I asked her to hold the pictures, and told her I would be back. Yeah lady, it's serious now, I'm pulling out the big guns! Except, I couldn't really pull out the big guns, cuz my husband had used EVERY last bit of toner in our printer!! AAAGGHHH! I did some quick thinking, and dropped by my friend Cindy's house. She very kindly allowed me to use her computer to print out my invoices.

Hah! I sped back to Walmart, maybe a little too fired up, but oh well. I handed her the invoice, fully expecting her to apologize and correct her mistake. Well, I guess I expected too much! She actually started to argue with me again, saying that she didn't know where I had gotten this price and it was wrong! By this time, I was so frustrated, even my beloved Certain Dri was no longer working! She took my paper and began walking away, when I asked her to please bring back a manager. She came back a few minutes later, and again started questioning the price on the farging WALMART.COM invoice! I told her that this was the price that was quoted me online for 5x7 prints, and I'm sorry that her books don't agree. She went to look through her books one last time, and then FINALLY she printed off a new sticker with my price...THE CORRECT price, and slapped it on my envelope. Still, no apology...but whatever. I thanked her, paid for my pictures and left.

Just to be sure, when I got home I checked online again, and lo and behold....the 5x7 prints are 58CENTS EACH! Normally, if it's a discrepancy of a couple of dollars, I would be willing to over look the mistake, but SEVENTEEN....I don't think so! I stood my ground, and it paid off.

Here's the clincher though...because it's so stinking convenient I know I'll be back in that wretched, wretched place later this week! Please, please let the Target gods send us a Super Target...soon!

17 Thoughts:

Sarah said...

I'm seething right along with you. That's horrible, horrible customer service. What happened to the customer is always right? Walmart needs to start making their employees take happy pills before work or something. The last couple of times I've been there I've had really good checkers who were polite and speedy. They were young men who looked like they just graduated high school and were happy to have a job. I told one of them that they were the most effecient bagger I've ever had and I think that made his day. I'm right there with you though, no matter how many times I complain about that store, I know I'll be back.

MadMadameMim said...

Hey you! I followed a link from Lee's blog to yours. I have to say Walamrt drives me up a wall too but out here in the land of the lost we don't really have a whole lot of choice, it takes me twenty minutes to get ANYWHERE else, and I could only dream of a Costco membership to be able to renew. By the way I love your pics and your blog is supper cute too. I hear you guys had a major ward change over there AGAIN! I hope it is going well for all. I'm sure tons has changed in a year anyway.
~Tiff

tharker said...

Hey Tiffany! I love your blog name, that's so cute. I'm glad that you found me!

Tasha said...

I wish we had a target here to..the closest one is 45 minutes away. I hate going into our Walmart with out my husband! They can be so rude, but when my hubby goes they are as nice as can be, because they depend on him and his co workers when there are shop lifters.

Lee said...

I hate WalMart. I will drive the extra mileage to avoid it at all costs. I so understand your pain. I am sorry.

Melissa said...

I try really REALLY hard not to go into WalMart unless I have to. But it's close to my home. And it's cheap. My budget demands that I be cheap whenever possible. I'm glad you went back with your invoice though. That's crazy that she was so rude about it!! Actually, it doesn't surprise me. We were in there one time and they were having some kind of manager training... there was a big group of them blocking the aisle and a line of customers forming on both sides of them needing to get through. Someone finally said "Excuse me" and they bit her head off. Customer service is not high on their list of priorities...

Shayla said...

Good for you!! You never should have had to go get your online invoice. I'm glad you got the correct price. If I were you, I'd send a quick email to walmart.com to complain...not that it does any good, but it might make you feel better. :-)

Kris said...

Tiffani, Wal-Mart is so annoying. Tonight Jack and I went to Super Target to look for some stuff. They didn't have what I wanted for the price, so we went to Home Depot. Still nothing. Walked into Wal-Mart, found what I wanted. Yeah, I'm cheap! Went to check out and stood in line for 20 minutes. They only had 1 Self-Checkout open, and 1 regular person. So annoying. At Target, there were 6 people that asked me if I had everything that I needed and asked if I needed help! UGH! Was it worth waiting in line for so long?? Nope, cuz now I'm all fired up and don't have the Christmas Happiness, that I had when I left Target! Target we need you here Bad!!!!!

Bummer about your pictures, glad it got fixed!

Jessica said...

All I can say is AMEN sister, AMEN!!! lol

::lindsay said...

I have an extreme love/hate relationship with Wal-Mart. The prices really can't be beaten but, it does try my patience every time I'm in there.

Marilyn said...

I totally understand your frustration. Way to show 'em who's boss!

I kind of wonder if the City of P**** people may have made a deal with the devil (aka Walmart) which won't allow a Target to come in and compete with Walmart. Somethin' to stew about.

Emily said...

We call Wal-Mart "Hell-Mart" because that's what it feels like everytime I go. But, it's just so darn convenient! Why is it that it always smells like a ginat fart? Anyways...good job fighting for the right price!! I'm impressed.

Kim said...

Have you ever compared Costco to Walmart? Whenever I check out a Costco it takes maybe 5 minutes tops. They are so quick an friendly. As the customer we don't really have any leverage at Walmart and I think that irritates me the most. You could threaten to never come back but they'd probably just laugh in your face.

tharker said...

Great point Kim! So true.

Brooklet said...

Don't even get me started on Wal-mart- remember the sick baby/pharmacy fiasco of 2005. It gets me fuming. Everyone has a bad walmart story- most people have several. And this is why I think the customer service there completely bites the dust- because Walmart pays low wages and bad, bad benefits. So the people working there just don't care.

It was so pointless that walmart doesn't have the ability to look up your order and find the price you were quoted. Things are so inexpensive there, but is it worth it??

Okay, calm down, Brooke. Breathe. . .

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! I'm so sorry. I bumped into my friend at Walmart and she was getting her cards re-done because they mispelled their last name. Grrr.

Elizabeth said...

Oooh...that would have frustrated me. Good job for going and printing off those invoices!