Today was a weird day for me. It was a good day, but now that it is coming to a close, it feels weird. We put up our tree today. We also went to Lowe's as is our yearly tradition, and let the kids each pick out one ornament. The kids had a great time decorating the tree. In fact, it looks like Christmas threw up on our tree. Let's just say that while the kids are at school tomorrow, mom may have to relieve the tree of a few {or fifty} ornaments.
I went to what will most likely have been my last Mutual tonight. With Spencer's new calling, I don't think that I will be in YW anymore and it makes me SO sad! I've only been in for 11 months, and was loving every minute that I got to spend with these amazing girls. I think that this is the reason for my weird feelings today. The thought of going to my last activity with the girls loomed over me like a grey cloud all day long. Now that it's over, I feel...sad, and schlumpy, and I kind of want to cry.
I really think that we are given callings in our church to help US grow. In every calling that I've ever had, I can say that I definitely grew and learned from that calling much more than anyone that I served or "taught". I feel this way about YW. Even in the short amount of time that I was able to spend with the girls as their "leader", I think that they taught me so much more than I ever could have taught them. I love them.
While I am very excited for the changes that have come from the ward split, I am nervous at the idea of a different calling. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Wednesday, December 05, 2007
An off day
Posted by tharker at 11:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 Thoughts:
It is a sad day when you have to stay home on Wednesday night. I was always in such a chipper mood after I spent a night with my girls. I would practically skip in the door when I got home! I still don't know what Spencer is doing. He must be doing something on Wednesday. I'm guessing he's doing the same thing as Jeff. Our ward just changed too. My parents ward was actually done away with and they are now a part of our ward. Jeff just got called to be the Young Men's President. I'm still in the Enrichment committee.
I am sorry you are schlumpy. There will be new callings though! Sometimes it is nice to have a break, even though you didn't expect or want one. So, what is Spencer's new calling? Now you've got me wondering!
I feel the same way after being with my girls. They are so energetic and sweet.
Sorry. Spencer just got called to be a member of the bishopric, so yes he will be at Mutual on Wednesdays. It's only been a few days since the ward was organized and already he's had several meetings. It's just the beginning of them, I know ;)
That's cool that you are in your parent's ward now. We have been in the same ward with Spencer's parents for the last 5 years, and as of last Sunday, we are now in different wards. It will be very strange not seeing them during church now. Even though we see them all the time, there was such a great feeling about being in the same ward together.
That's also great about Jeff's new calling. From the way that you've described him to me, he sounds like he is up to the task and will do a great job with those boys!
It is kind of a sad thing... but look at it this way - you must have perfected the lessons you were supposed to learn and now you get to move on! :) Hugs! I hope you feel better about it soon and that they get you a new calling that you love!
Knowing that you could possibly get released is a sad thing. I know I felt sad when I left YW's, but the calling that they gave me after that was so much fun too! Even if you don't see the YW every Wednesday night, they'll still love you and want to be your friend! You'll do great wherever you are.
I think I would have felt the same way last night, but there are no girls from our ward in our new ward. So it was kind of a gentle let down for me anyway.
Heather I know how you feel. The first time I was in YW it didn't last long cause we moved after 7 months. It was so hard to move, I wanted to find a house in the ward just so I could stay with the YW but that didn't happen. I love working with the YW and hope that I get to stay here a good long while. Although our ward is heading towards a split too so who knows. I totally feel for you, but I'm sure you'll love whatever you do next.
~Tiff
I'm sure those girls will always look up to you and your awesome example. I would have given my left pinky to have young, fun, hip YW's leaders like you guys when I was growing up.
I'm sorry you had a hard day. I hope today is better. I'm sure you've made a great impression on those girls and they will continue to look up to and learn by your example. Be happy:)
I remember how hard it was when I was a beehive to say goodbye to a leader when they were released. I am sure your beehives feel the same- they will miss you. I am also sure that no matter what your next calling is, you will do fantastic.
Now for the off day feeling, try singing christmas songs at the top of your lungs- that should make you feel a little better.
I love serving in YW. I am now on my 3rd stint of it and it is so fun. I always look forward to Wednesday night.
You're so awesome! You'll do great where ever you serve. You give 100% when you serve so it's so hard to leave when you're time is done, but the impression you make lasts a lifetime!
It is a bummer you have to be released from YW. You never know, your next calling might be better. Cheer up. {{hugs}}
I bet it was a blessing for the young women to have you, too.
If they know you love them, they will let you lead them. (An insight from Sheri Dew in a talk a ways back, but I love that thought.)
Post a Comment