Monday, January 21, 2008

My Saturday's Warrior

Saturday was a rough one. Actually, all of last week was kind of rough. My children are having some serious cabin fever, and are thus making me a little coo-coo. Let's just say that I needed to get out of these four walls, without children in tow.

Saturday was by far the worst day. It began with the kids pulling out every single toy known to man, and then "forgetting" to clean up their disaster. (And this was all while I was in the shower!) Then Jake had a hard time while we were at a friend's house for a song practice. Basically, it's getting really hard for him to keep up with other kids and he ends up being left alone, and sad. It broke my heart to see his heart broken, so I started balling. Kids are kids, and they do not mean to hurt anyone else, but it still stinks to watch your child's heart ache. So we left and I continued to cry all the way home, then I got mascara all over Spencer's shirt because I still couldn't get control over myself. He was so nice to let me literally cry on his shoulder.

I decided to forget about the pile of laundry, and I took a much needed snooze on the couch with Hannah. It felt wonderful. Later that afternoon, Spencer came downstairs and announced that we needed to go on a date. OKAY!!! There was nothing else that he could have said that would have made me any happier. I worried that I wouldn't be able to find a babysitter on such short notice on a Saturday night, but one came through! I wasted no time. The kids each had a quick bath, and dinner all in thirty minutes, and then I went to pick up the babysitter. Hallelujah! She is fantastic. She brought over a bag full of fun for the kids. It was full of games, and books, and even a fun movie. I LOVE her!

Spencer and I went out to dinner at a yummy Mexican restaurant, and then we went for a stroll around Target. It was so relaxing and wonderful just to be together, and it was exactly what I needed. I am so thankful that he knew what I needed, and acted on it. I am one lucky girl.

26 Thoughts:

Jan said...

Good for Spencer. And good for you. Sometimes we just need a break before were broken. I love dates like that. Your fed well physically (Mex food) and visually (Target). I hope there was a kiss in there somewhere.

Emily said...

awww. I'm glad you two got to have some much needed time together. It sounds like you've got a great man there. :)

Ms. Kristen said...

Husbands....what would we do without them? They know their wives the very best!
Glad you are doing good! Go get another massage!

Kristi said...

WOW, this post brought tears to my eyes! I sympathize with you and Jake about being left alone while the other kids go play. That really is tough. I'm so glad you got a nap, that your husband is so wonderful and in tune, and that you were able to get a fantastic sitter and go on a date. I know I sound pathetically cheesy, but stuff like this touches my heart!

tharker said...

It's not pathetically cheesy Kristi, it's very sweet of you.

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

I agree you are one Lucky girl!

Shells said...

Go Spencer!!!!!

Maybe you should make every Saturday date night. Sounds like you have a great babysitter, a willing husband, old enough kids. Go for it.

Brooklet said...

It made me tear up a little too. I am really glad you had a shoulder to cry on, some one to hold you up. What happened with Jake is sad and tough, but it makes me happy to know that he has a strong family, who will support each other through it.

And PS- I love that you went on a walk through target for your date!

Elizabeth said...

I heard someone say once that she had learned that she could only be as happy as her saddest child. That is something I think is remarkably beautiful about true motherhood. Jake is so blessed to have you as his mother. I felt sad, just reading it.

I am glad you had an understanding husband, a good nap, and some time out. Sounds perfect after feeling so sad.

Adolescent Family said...

All I can say is~ I truly know EXACTLY how you are feeling. & because I know, I am truly sorry.

No one should ever have to go through these things especially mothers of special needs kids.

I mean really, don't we have enough on our plates?

I know its not comforting to know, but I share in your pain, joy, and tears. I'm just a phone call away, anytime.

Oh, and yes Spencer gets a platinum star!

Melissa said...

I can sooo relate with the heartbreak. On Sunday, Little Bug sat down for Primary and the kids kind of avoided him. One little girl scooted away from him and shot him dirty looks for sitting by her... another little girl refused to sit by him... blah :(
I am so glad you got a date night! Maybe that's what we need... actually - I'm POSITIVE that's what we need!!
Here's to MORE date nights!!!

Alicia Leppert said...

Ugh. Crappy days suck. How wonderful for you that it ended on such a good note. That happens too infrequently! Oh, and I love your title!

tharker said...

Thanks ladies. It's amazing how just spending some quality, uninteruppted time with your husband can work wonders!

Melissa, I am so sorry that happened to Little Bug. I can't say that I understand completely how you feel, but I do just a little bit. You should check out my friend Tiff's blog. She is also the mother of a child with Autism. In fact, I think your boys are close to the same age. Her profile is on these comments, it's the child family.

Alicia,
I'm such a dork right? But I did love me a little S.W. back in the day!

Terilyn said...

Aren't you so glad for your man? Most times they totally come through for you!
Reading between the lines, I think that you are still in need of a:
GIRLS NIGHT OUT!
I know I definately need one. When can we plan this?

tharker said...

Absolutely Terilyn!

::lindsay said...

So sad for Jake! It's good though that he has a great mom like you to help and support him.

Marilyn said...

I love it when men "tune in" and do exactly what is needed at that very moment. Way to go Spencer!

Sarah said...

Glad you were able to get out and get energized a bit. Sometimes all it takes is a little fun and time away. Your hubby did good.

hatch said...

I am so glad that you and Spencer had a great date! It is so nice when you are able to do things like that together.

Jessica said...

ditto to everything!! My heart was/is breaking for you. That is a lot to deal with! Great job to Spencer, I love that he was so thoughtful!

emahaf said...

I am so glad that you were able to get out of the house, nothing is worse then cabin fever.

Kris said...

I don't know why it has taken me 3 days to comment on your blog? So cool that you had a refreshing night out with your hubby. I love it when Jack says, "Let's Go Out!" I jump on the thought too. It's amazing how much you can get done, if you know you are leaving soon! Did you buy anything at Target? They are having some good deals right now!!!

naturaljoy said...

Tiffany thanks so much for posting on my newly aquired blog. I'm feeling a little illiterate trying to get it all to work so It meant a lot that some one looked at it. Your crying on saturday made me cry too which is really pathetic, chock it up to pregnancy. Anyway I've always admired you and how you are with Jake and that you want another one too, thanks for the example. I read your post about silly checkers at stores which I'm sure you can imagine what I'm getting right now since I look like I'm having twins and my kids are with me a lot. After that I went to a store and got the same generic comment and I said "Yea, we are really enjoying our kids!" in the cheeriest voice I could find while I was corralling the kids. Thanks for the post.

tharker said...

So glad to see you here Amelia! Good for you for showing her that children do indeed bring us joy...even if they are whining and throwing the mother of all fits over that pack of gum that they can't live without ;) Children are joy in it's purest form.

And thank you so much for your very sweet comment. You have always been someone that I've looked up to also. Someday when I grow up, I need to make sure that I learn to have the patience and kindess that you have.

Kim said...

We're still battling sicknesses over here and I've been dying to get together. I was hoping we could've gotten together this week, maybe I could've helped remedy the situation, but Ethan got really sick again. I'm so sorry about Jake. I cried too. Can't wait to see you at the luncheon and give you a big hug!!!!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have a sensitive and understanding husband. Aren't they great when they do and/or say the right thing? I have a sister who is really struggling with her four-year-old son who has Aspberger's and she just had a day, too, but her hubby didn't react quite the same way. Glad you two are on the same page.