This one and this one have already done this, and they have both inspired me. It has taken me a very long time to feel pretty. I know you won't believe it, being that I am constantly talking about how much I love my hair and all, but it is true. And when I say pretty, I don't just mean the outward appearance. It's amazing to me that the older I get, the more I get to know my true self, and I like what I see and feel. Funny that it takes so long. Sometimes I think we should just skip the whole teen thing and head right to this stage of life. But oh the things that we would miss out on.
Anyway, back to the post at hand. Like all girls, I went through an awkward looking phase. Except that mine lasted from about age 9 to 19. I had some Jacked. Up. Teeth. {This was my biggest issue with self confidence} I had long (very long) straight, and lifeless hair. I had some eyebrows that would give Bigfoot a run for his money! Not to mention that I was a "late bloomer". So I never really felt girly and cute. Oh I was cute alright. Cute like your 11 year old sister! Toward the end of my senior year in high school, I began plucking my eyebrows, and holy crow, did that make a difference!! So the question that I have for my old high school chums who read my blog (read Emily, Geniel and Karen T) why oh why didn't someone...anyone tell me to do it sooner?!!! I started experimenting with make up more and found that it really wasn't as hard as it looked, and by golly it actually looked good on me too.
As I've grown up, I have learned to like those things about myself that maybe I didn't like so much a decade or more ago.
I've learned to love the person that I am. I am friendly, I am smart, I have great common sense {not so much smart in the bookish area...oh well, one out of two} I am kind, I am optimistic, and I have a strong sense of faith that has gotten me through things that I had no idea I would be able to do. Basically, the more I came to love myself on the inside, the more beautiful I have felt on the outside. In a few words, I like ME now.
Now on to the physical stuff...5 things I like about me
- I have fantastic arches. It may sound silly, but I really like my feet. When I point my toes, I have the perfect arch. My baby toe is freakishly smaller than the rest of my toes, but I can live with it.
- I have been blessed with good skin. In Jr. High and high school, when all of my other friends were battling acne, I never had a problem. The most I ever get is a single zit once in a while. I know that I'm lucky.
- I like my height now. Growing up, I was ALWAYS the short girl. And while I'm not the tallest ruler in the bunch, I feel pretty average now. Okay, maybe just below average in height, but I like it.
- I like my eyes. Sometimes they're blue-ish. Sometimes they're green-ish. I like the mystery.
- Growing up, I always thought that my nose was just this side of big for my face. I thought it was pointy and too long. Now? I really like my nose. It bounces when I say Walla Walla, and I like that.
When I was a teenager, I would have loved to look just like those girls in Seventeen Magazine, but now I am so glad that I just look like me. I like me. Me is pretty darn good. Now that I have a daughter, I want her to see herself for the true beauty that she is. Inside and out. I want to teach her that while it is absolutely okay to take pride in your appearance and to feel pretty, that it is not the most important thing. I want her to know that she has a beauty that is all her own, and that true beauty shows on the outside, when it's gleaming on the inside.
Now it's your turn!! What do you like about YOU?


25 Thoughts:
Man, you didn't mention your teeth! They are awesome.
I like you too, inside and out.
Very beautiful photo, way to be who you are and to love being that person.
You are beautiful inside and out. I love reading how your confidence in yourself has grown from your childhood until now. This was a great post! Beautiful picture, too!!
You have a great smile too!
From one "late bloomer" to another, I think we have traveled a similar path. Of course, in high school, I think everyone is insecure about themselves...if you aren't, you are lucky! I'm so glad you have grown to be happy with who you are!:)
Good list. It's nice to celebrate the things we love about ourselves and make us special. You are beautiful!
I am now speaking as William Shakespeare. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
1,2,3,4,667,668,1256. The list is to long. Don't have time.
You are great. I love your list and I am glad that you were a late bloomer or you would have no appreciation attached to your loveliness. Appreciation is very attractive and worth loving.
Well, from one high school chum to another, you have always been beautiful in my eyes! It's funny how we sort of grow into ourselves the older we get. It's too bad it takes us so long to realize our beauty!
i am so glad you played my little game. you are the sweetest. i must learn your secrets to happy pretty hair and makeup and cinnamon rolls. love, lindsay
I love what you taught your daughter about beauty. I'll strive to teach my boys to value a womans virtue and then they can hook up when they are 16. :)
Jacked. Up. Teeth. My favorite part!
Great list. I agree that it takes awhile to get comfortable in your own skin, but you've done it beautifully.
Thanks everyone. You're all so good to me.
Emily,
You are one of my oldest and dearest friends. I love you!
Nan,
You are cracking me up!
I love you too! You are beautiful and every year I know you, you get more and more beautiful! What a great way to be.
Ok.. so since you asked lets review! Maybe the reason I didn't point out the eyebrows was because I thought perming my already naturally curly hair was cool. Oh yea, and umm putting that Sun-In turn it ORANGE hair spritzer business was a good look. That and seriously, don't remember an eyebrow issue! Did I even know that eye brow plucking was a neccesity in high school???
You my dear were the defination of cute in high school. Even with your long straight hair (that some like MYSELF) would have died to have. Your personality, heart and true inner self has always shined through and made you even more beautiful. Reading your post, I love knowing you know it! Your daughter is so lucky to have you as a mother, and she, myself (and everyone else that knows you) is lucky to have you as a friend and role model.
Come on Karen, we all tried the Sun-In at least once, or three times! Your comment was so sweet. Thanks for making me get all weepy.
By the way, hi MONICA!
I love your confidence that isn't too big headed. You are smart, fun, nice and very kind to everyone. You have made me love blogging, cuz of your sweet comments to me. What I really treasure is your friendship, even off the computer. :) I think you are so great Tiffani! This was a wonderful post!
Soooo jealous of your perfect skin. Good for you to celebrate REAL beauty!
Beautiful post! Beautiful picture!
I loved this post. You are beautiful and all of these comments by people who love you prove it.
I love this! Thanks for letting me join in, it was lovely.
And I can't imagine you being a late bloomer, every picture I have seen of you, I have thought, "Wow, she is beautiful!"
Man, I can't believe you didn't think you were beautiful. You really are gorgeous! Love the photo you picked for the post, too. And, like I said on Casee's blog, I love the honesty about this and just saying what you do like. It's fun to read for the rest of us, and helps us to focus on the positive things about ourselves.
From the first time I met you, I've thought you were gorgeous! Now, the more I get to know you, and how sweet and wonderful you are, I have to be honest... it's really not fair for one person to have it all. I love ya anyway!
As soon as I read about Walla Walla I said it to see what my nose would do!!! I loved your post so much. As soon as I read yours I knew for sure I was going to get one done. Its healing to write about it and its just as healing to know that everyone else has struggled at one time or another. Love ya,
Kim
It is always amazing to me when someone beautiful reveals that they once struggled with self-perception and that they didn't always see themselves as beautiful. I would have never guessed!
Your picture is beautiful too!! I want to know one thing. How many did you have to take until you actually liked it? I think mine was like 15.I kept blinking. In most I look like
I've sampled some hard liquor. My boys thought I was kind of weird taking so many pictures of myself. Ha ha ha!
Post a Comment