I don't know what someone slipped in Jake's breakfast this morning, but he was just this side of crazy during Sacrament meeting today. It wasn't that he was being necessarily loud or anything, but he was fighting me on almost everything.
We (miraculously) arrived quite early (we're talking like 20 minutes. I was proud!) and almost immediately after we sat down, the whine fest began. He wanted his snack. He wanted gum. I told him he had to wait until after the Sacrament for anything. Enter more whining.
"Mom, when are you going to give me a Friend Magazine to look at?"
"It's just too hard to sit AND fold my arms at the same time!"
"Josh isn't giving me any space."
"I can't sit up during the prayer. I need to lay on you."
And my favorite part came during the opening prayer, "I HATE prayer."
Awesome.
The funny thing is that if anyone was watching us, they probably didn't catch any of this because like I said, he wasn't being very loud. You could call him The Quiet Riot. The whining was out of control. Most Sundays I don't mind sitting by myself with the kids, but today was a big test for me. Let's just say that I took lots of deep breaths. Once I moved Jake away from Josh...ya know to give him space...it was a little better. I didn't even care that he was tracing his finger along the lines of the white painted brick on the walls. (Seriously. Why do ALL kids do that?) He was finally quiet, so I was happy!
I have to say one of my favorite parts of the day was when Lisa's little boy gave me a nice little back scratch! Lisa's family was sitting behind us, when toward the end of the meeting I feel these tiny fingers scratching away. Lisa told him to quit, but I quickly whispered to her that I didn't mind one bit, it was great! Thanks Trenton...or was it Ty...Oh well, it was adorable.
So if you want to have some real fun, join us for Sacrament meeting next week. It's good stuff.
Sunday, May 04, 2008
Good solid fun times
Posted by tharker at 3:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


15 Thoughts:
How funny that we had the same quiet riot goin on today. I was inteligently wearing a white linen skirt which exited sacrament meeting looking like I pulled it out of the bottom of a heap. Luckily I could plunk my little squirmer down on her daddy half way through and just be done. So kudos to you for being on your own.
Ah, the finger tracing of the white bricks. I have very fond memories of many a sacrament meeting doing that as a child. We've sat on the side one time and Payson instantly starting tracing away. It's so funny.
Are you sure the Back Scratcher wasn't Steve?
Those were the days. I love the name quiet riot. It says it all. Hang in there. It gets worse. Oh I mean better. I saw that Spencer moved a sattelite dish. Where did they take it? That was a monster. It could go in a skateboard park or something.
Back scratches? Lucky.
Jan,
He and Mike were moving the beast from Bagley's. Mike says he's going to make a swimming pool for the grandkids out of it, it's so huge! Just kidding. I don't know what Mike's going to do with it.
Oh I feel for you! Lucky one with the back scratch. It is nice to know that my kids are not the only ones who fight over space. I used to love to trace the white lines on the bricks. Memories.
Yeah, never would have known! Better luck next week?
Fun times, I hear you on the loudest sacrament meeting. That would have been my ward in Richland on Sunday. "]jmmjmmmmmmmjjjbnvgvf\4b" you tell mom! That was George typing his response to this post.
I despise the whining. I wish I could say it gets better, but my kids aren't much better even at 12 and 11. In church yesterday, Madeline kept telling me how bored she was...drove me crazy.
I think as the weather gets better, the kids get more antzy in church. I had a similar day yesterday and worked up quite a sweat wrestling around with my 10 month old. You crack me up with your hilarious descriptions!
My kids always whine at church. My oldest even is always rubbing his tummy in a circle like he's dying of hunger. Good thing we all have our own kids and totally understand if we are lucky enough to hear what other kids are doing! :) What time is your church? Maybe we will come and join you...!
Marilyn, good to know that I still have at least 8 more years of the whining... ;)
Kristen,
We go at 11. I'm sure that 11 sounds like heaven compared to your 2:30!
That is so funny, I totally heard Jake say that he hated that. And yes, it was Tyson handing out back scratches...I was just relieved it wasn't hitting or hair pulling. I still can't believe you couldn't hear the incredibly squeaky bench that we got stuck with. Graycie was full aware and did her best to move every to seconds just to makes some noise, in her usual graceful way. As soon as I quieted her down, she went straight to brick tracing...no joke.
Her nickname should be Graceful Graycie!
Tyson can scratch my back anytime.
Church on Sunday's is always such a challenge with my kids. I hate to say I DREAD sacrament meeting, but sometimes, I just do. I always feel like my kids are THE noisy ones and I have a hard time getting out of it what I should. Be glad that at least Jake is quiet. My kids don't know quiet!
Something that works for me sometimes is to reward my kids with points for their good behavior. Lets say they get 5 points- we get to play a game together after church, have a strawberry smoothie, go on a nature walk. I also try really hard to praise them every time I see them doing something good.
That being said, there are sometimes, when I am in a really grumpy mood and all I want is stillness and silence with complete obedience and cooperation- especially when I sat in front of the Stake Relief Society during our ward conference. If only there were robot mode on all of our kids...
Post a Comment