Monday, May 12, 2008

The Mother's Day Rundown


Mother's Day 2008 was a great day for this mother.

I awoke to the sounds of silence in my house. My entire family slept in until 7:30am. That NEVER happens, so it was a very welcome way to begin the day. Spencer and the kids got up and cooked breakfast while I showered. When I came downstairs, I was greeted by plate full of delicious French Toast and sausage. Pair that with a nice tall glass of Orange juice, and you have a winning combination for this girl. I love Spencer's French Toast. He uses the really fat Texas Toast, and then he adds gobs of vanilla extract and cinnamon to the egg mixture. Mmmmm. Perfection every time.

After breakfast, the kids gave me their gifts. This is by far my favorite part of Mother's Day. The handmade gifts from my children. They are always so adorable, and I can tell that they are so proud of the work that they did just for me.

Hannah made some paper lilies that came in a cute little paper pot with an adorable poem. On each of the lilies, she had written a small act of service that she could do for me. It was cute because she had been telling me all week long that her class wasn't making any Mother's Day crafts this year. Wink, wink! I knew of course, that her teacher would not do such a thing, but I decided to play along with Hannah because I could tell how much she really wanted to surprise me on Mother's Day. It was so sweet.

Josh painted a little pot with a plant. Well, actually his teacher painted all of the pots and let the kids sign their names on the top. I kind of wish that she would have let the kids do more of the painting, but you can imagine what the chaos might be like with 25 children and paint, so I guess I see her wisdom. He was so excited to give it to me on Friday when he came out of school. I don't have the greenest thumb, but I'm going to try really hard not to kill this plant!

Jake made me a Tic-Tac-Toe chart. Totally random, but so sweet at the same time. He was coloring the other day and when he gave it to me, he said he wanted me to have a present for Mother's Day. I just love that kid!

Spencer gave me Stephenie Meyer's new book, The Host. I'm really excited to read it. I've tried for the last two nights, but kept falling asleep each time. Maybe today... My favorite part of the day happened after dinner when I was unloading the dishwasher. Spencer came up behind me and told me that he should be doing that, not me. Okay, you don't have to tell me twice! He did such a great job of making sure that the kids remembered the day and tried all that he could to help them make it a special day for me. He's just awesome, and I love him so much.

Church was great too. The talks were fantastic, but my favorite part was Relief Society. All of the women, including those in Primary and Young Women got to be there for a special lesson from the Bishop. I loved his lesson because he focused it on the importance of womanhood, not just motherhood. It was so uplifting.

We came home and did absolutely nothing. And I loved it. I loved just sitting around with my family. We watched a couple of movies together, and ate a simple dinner made by my husband. I loved just being there relaxing with my little family.

I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day, and were spoiled just a little bit.

10 Thoughts:

PRP said...

Sounds like a great day from beginning to end. And you deserve it!

Kris said...

I LOVE the idea of having the Bishop give the lesson in RS. I think I would've liked that so much. I'm anxious for you to do a book review on The Host. I want to read it too. How fun to get special gifts and cards from your kids. I'm so glad you had a great weekend Tiffani. Sorry I missed talking to you on Saturday. It was fun to see you though!

Jan said...

Yeah Tiffany. You had a great day for sure. I love all the goodies from the family. They did really good. And that tic tac toe chart is so sweet. I loved church yesterday too. It always feels like they think the world of us women. We are so blessed to be so loved huh... Glad you had a great slow evening too. Spoiled is good sometimes.

Sarah said...

It sounds like you're family really gave you the VIP treatement, and just getting to have a slow relaxing Sunday sounds perfect. Let us know what you think of the book.

Sara said...

What a great day. It is so nice to be pampered for a day. I love being with the ones I love most on mothers day.

Casee said...

Sounds like the perfect day!

Lisa Christine said...

It sounded like the perfect day indeed!

Debie Spurgeon said...

You're right, the homemade gifts are so adorable.
Spencer is an amazing person and you two are wonderful together. What a guy for finishing the dishes.

Emily said...

Glad you had a good mother's day! You deserve it!! Can't wait to hear what you think of the book.

naturaljoy said...

um can I get on the borrow list for the Host?? From Anonymous:)