Friday, July 11, 2008

Looking forward to the day

A few months ago, I had a conversation with one of my Mia Maids that I will always cherish. (Even though I'm no longer in YW, I think I will always call those girls mine) We were having a lesson one Sunday about the Resurrection. The lesson pointed out that when the Savior comes again, that all will be resurrected, and our bodies will be made perfect.

This particular girl is a convert to our church, and even though she had heard this before it affected her differently this time. For the last few years, she has been struggling with a severe heart problem that affects her daily life. Because of this problem, she is not allowed to do any strenuous activity. None. As you can imagine, that would be very difficult. She has also had a number of scares recently that have caused a great deal of worry for her and her family.

After hearing this, she leaned over to me and we had this short but meaningful conversation,

"Sister H. so does this mean that when I am resurrected, that I won't have heart problems anymore?"

"Yes, that is exactly what it means!"

"And does that mean that Jake will be able to walk?"

"Yes, it does!"

"So, do you think that Jake and I will be able to run together?"

"Absolutely."

"Sister H. that will be the most beautiful day."

"Yes, it will. Yes, it will."

What a precious moment this was for the two of us. Seeing that light of understanding and hope fill this sweet girl's eyes was a moment that I will always hold dear.

To be honest, before we had Jake, whenever I thought about The Second Coming, I was always scared. I thought, "I'm not ready!" and I worried if I would ever feel ready. But being Jake's mother has changed everything. I now look forward to the day when our Savior will come again. Knowing that Jake will not only walk, but RUN with his siblings is one of the most beautiful images that I can see in my mind.

27 Thoughts:

Lee said...

Oh Tiff, that brought tears to my eyes. I am excited for my sister also.. to have her be her, and know who she really is. My Mom and I joke we will all be downs.. and won't that be a shocker.
Thanks for sharing this.

Ro's Lumpy Breast said...

Thanks for sharing that story Tiff.

Chell said...

Thanks so much for sharing that story-it was so beautiful, I wanted to cry! :)

Shells said...

It will be a glorious day. One of the best things to look forward to.

Jan said...

I love this story and the thought of Jake running. I just think that is a grateful day. Thanks for this heart felt share Tiff.

Jessica said...

Such a beautiful story, filled my heart with joy, and my eyes with tears!

::lindsay said...

Such a nice thought, isn't it!

Kate said...

what a beautiful story, thanks so much for sharing that :)

Lisa Christine said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful conversation. It made my heart smile.

meohmyers said...

You know what this means to me. I too can't wait to RUN with a sibling!

Thanks for the BEAUTIFUL reminder this morning! Now, where's the kleenex...

Melissa said...

It does change your perspective, doesn't it? To think that my son will be able to communicate with me... it makes me anxious for that day!

Ms. Kristen said...

I have the goooosssse bumps! Thanks! I can have more babies too! Thank goodness we have more hope!

SuzanSayz said...

Thank you for the uplifting thought to start my day with. My youngest son Shawn is mentally retarded, and I wouldn't change him for anything, in THIS life. I really believe that he is protected this way. But what a glorious day it will be to have his mind and his body perfectly restored and to have a chance to discover the young man that is there in spirit just awaiting his chance. Gee, I'm all choked up now. Thanks for the lovely message.

tharker said...

Susan, Lee, Melissa and Lisa,
Can you just imagine the things that those sweet children will have to tell us all? That thought alone gives me goosebumps.

They will finally be able to tell you with their own words how much they love you and how much they appreciate all that you did for them in this life. And THEY will be able to testify of Jesus Christ. What a day that will be!

Kim,
I can't wait for that day for you to run with your brothers! I hope that they are as competitive as you are because that would be an awesome race!!

tharker said...

Kristen,
Your comment gave ME the goosebumps. It's a beautiful thought indeed that you will be able to be a mother to more of our Father's children!

rip said...

This was a very thought provoking post. Another reason to appreciate the gospel.

AOlson said...

Tiffany you always post really great things. Thanks for sharing this very personal story. Thinking of the second coming makes you relax and breathe easier, doesn't it?

Lovely Lindsay said...

this particular mia maid has been on my mind since becoming her sweet friend at camp. thank you for sharing your "girls" with me this summer. my heart is full.
love, lindsay

Sarah said...

Sweet, sweet post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Kris said...

Tiffani, I look forward to these type of learning experiences with the YW that I teach. This is so exciting to know that Jake will be able to RUN with his siblings. All of these comments have given me the chills. Great Post Tiff.

Oh, I think I was the only one that didn't go to Applebees on Wednesday night. Your dinner sounds delish! :)

Stephanie said...

Beautiful and so true.

Emily said...

That was just beautiful. I love your spirit and your children are very blessed.

Jodi said...

Okay Tiffani-you made me cry AGAIN! That was a very sweet post. Thanks for sharing it with us. It really helps put things in perspective.

polka dots said...

Love this post.

The Donald said...

Wow, that is a powerful thought. Thank you so much for sharing. It will be great, they can go running together, and my little lizzy can watch them!!

tharker said...

Donald,
Somehow I don't see Elisabeth sitting on the sidelines. I think she'll be right there running with them!

Casee said...

Wow, Tiffani, that was beautiful. Thanks for sharing.