Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Bittersweet goodbye

This morning I received the news that my grandma passed away. It was fast, but not totally unexpected. She was 86, and had been sick for many years.

Avis Goodsell McBride only stood 5 feet tall, but she was a quiet giant of a woman. She raised three children, and was married to my grandpa for 63 years before he passed away in April of 2004. She lived in the same house since 1943. After my grandpa passed, Grandma was very lonely. They had never been apart for more than a few days when one of her daughters would have a baby. She missed him dearly, but she loved to be in their home because she said that was where she could feel his presence the most.

I have so many memories of her. I don't ever remember hearing her raise her voice. Not even to Grandpa, who loved to tease anyone and everyone! Her voice was deep and rich, but also completely feminine. As a child, I was always entranced by the sound of her voice. I loved for her to tell me stories about life during The Depression. She said they lived on Spam, but she never got tired of it. After each stay with us, I remember Grandma getting up early to make Spam sandwiches for herself and Grandpa to enjoy on the ride home. Even after so many years, she was loyal to her love of Spam.

She and Grandpa were Coca-Cola fanatics. If you ever wanted a Coke (I didn't, because I don't like Coke) you always knew you could find it in their fridge. Grandma loved to cook, and she was the best. She woke up early every morning to make a big breakfast. You could always count on eggs, bacon and hotcakes at Grandma's house.

Every time they would come to visit, we kids knew that she would bring a cookie tin full of her delicious Ginger Snaps. Always with a piece of bread on top to keep them soft. We would count the minutes until Grandma and Grandpa's arrival. Grandma was a stickler for good manners. We always had to wait until everyone had said hello and we would bring in their bags for them, then we were able to dig in to those wonderful cookies. To this day, I cannot eat a Ginger Snap without thinking of my sweet grandmother.

As a child, I had a fascination with Grandma's skin. It was so soft, and yet so wispy. Like if you touched it too much, it would disappear. I just loved to touch her face. Even as an adult, I have been known to touch Grandma's face.

The thing that I treasure most about her, is that even though she's not my biological grandmother, she never treated me any different than any of the other grand kids. Technically, I was a step-grandchild, but no one would have ever known it from the way that she treated me. She loved me as if I were one of her own. Even though I told her many times, I'm not sure if she'll ever truly know just how much her love meant to me. What a wonderful woman she was.

I am sad at the thought of her no longer being here, but I also feel so much joy at the thought of her being reunited with Grandpa again! She is no longer sick, and her body is no longer suffering in pain. I know that she was ready, and for that reason, I am happy for her.

The kids and I are heading out tomorrow morning for good old Utah. Wish us luck!

21 Thoughts:

Casee said...

She sounds like a fabulous lady. I am sure she will be missed by those still here, but I bet there was a wonderful celebration when she arrived on the other side. What a beautiful tribute. And I am sure she feels blessed to have you in her family.

Utah? Have a wonderful trip!

hatch said...

Tiffany,
These are wonderful memories that you have of your Grandma. She sounds like a wonderful lady. This is a wonderful tribute to her. Our family just recieved the news that my Grandma has been given 6-8 weeks to live, so your post really hits home for me. I know it is a great comfort to know that your Grandparents are together again. Have a safe trip to Utah.
Kim

Jan said...

Oh Tiffani, I am so very sorry for such a wonderful loss in your life. Be safe and take care. xxoo

Shells said...

Tiff, I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma. She sounds wonderful. I sometimes forget that you have family other than the Harkers. Good luck on your drive. Hopefully the funeral will be filled with happy memories and many happy reunions with family you probably don't see as much.

AOlson said...

Tiffany this was a beautiful tribute to your grandmother. The way you described her and your memories, I could totally picture it all in my head. I am so sorry for your loss, but I am sure that your grandpa was so excited to be with her again.

Have a safe trip with the kids. See you when you get back.

PRP said...

I'll be thinking of you. Drive safe!

Amy said...

I'm sorry about your grandma! What sweet memories you have of her!

Sarah said...

You gave a beautiful tribute to your grandmother in this post. She sounds like the type of grandma everyone loved to be around. Have a safe trip to Utah.

Jodi said...

You've been through too much lately. I'll be thinking of you and your family. Drive safe!!

Mandy Rasmussen said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers! Drive safe!!

Kim said...

Your grandma sounds like mine. She sounds so sweet and warm. Mine passed away in '04. I miss going to grandma's; the smells, the feel.

I hope you have a good time reconnecting with all your loved ones at the funeral. Its amazing how being together will buoy you up.

Good luck on your 11 hour journey- kids and all!!

Lisa Christine said...

Thoughts and prayers to you at this tender time...

Marilyn said...

My condolences. She sounds like an amazing woman who led a great, long life, and that she will be missed.

Drive safe!

MadMadameMim said...

I'm sorry about your grandma, but I can relate to the feeling that it is the right time and you are happy for them despite your loss. I hope your trip goes well.
I have a tag for you when you get back, not that you won't have plenty to blog about, but come on over and see me, it's been a while.

Kris said...

Your grandmother sounds like she's a gem. I loved reading all of these memories that you have of her. I hope that you have a fun and safe trip to UT.

Emily said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma, but you are right, the joy she must have had reuniting with your grandpa brings peace. Sounds like she was a remarkable woman. Thanks for sharing. You will be so glad later on that you recorded your feelings. ((HUGS))

Chelsea said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma, and hope you have a safe trip.

I saw Hannah on a commercial today for Coats for Kids, she looked very happy to be on TV!

Brooklet said...

What a wonderful grandma, and what a great tribute to her. I am glad that she is with her husband now, good luck on your trip!

Stephanie said...

How wonderful for you to have had such a wonderful grandmother. Continue to Enjoy the memories on your trip

Elizabeth said...

I am thinking this must be the grandma (grandparents) that made their home in Logan?? I remember you reminiscing with me at lunch about how much you loved their old home.

She sounds like a lovely lady.

Sending you and your family peace and love.

The Donald said...

I haven't been keeping up with my blogs, so I just read this tonight. I hope all is well with your family.

Any Grandma who loves Coca Cola ranks high in my book!