Saturday, October 18, 2008

This is me eating crowe.

For the first time in my life, I am the proud owner of one of these. {thanks for helping me learn how to thread it Andrea} I never thought I wanted or needed a sewing machine, but like so many other things that I have thought...I was wrong. I have found in the 3 short days that I have had it, that sewing is actually fun! Well, it is when you're not breaking needles anyway.



Remember when Kristen won an apron in my little giveaway? You know the one. It was like A MONTH AGO. But who's counting right? Last night, I finally finished her apron, and other than a couple of mishaps with the Rick Rack, I had so much fun making this apron. If you look up close, please just ignore some of the horrendous stitching!

I am in LOVE with this fabric. When I saw it, I thought it was perfect for Kristen! I delivered the finished product to her doorstep this morning, and it was fun to see her excitement. Thanks for being so patient Kristen, and I hope you have lots of fun with your new apron!



This is the pattern I used for Kristen's apron. Not only was it super easy, (and for a novice sewer like myself, that is a very good thing) but it was lots of fun to make. I found it at Craft Warehouse, but if you don't have one in your area, you can order it online or if you Google "Flirty Skirty", you should be able to find a location that carries it.



Hannah really wanted in on the apron action too, so tonight we gathered up a bunch of scraps that I had leftover from my apron and Michelle's apron, and we made her one for her very own. I used a pattern for a pocket, but I made up the rest. Although, all I really did was hem all the edges of a large square piece of fabric and added the pocket and ties. Hannah is in little girl heaven right now! I had fun making it for her, and I am so happy that she likes it.


So, are you wondering if you are reading the correct blog? With words like, pattern, rick-rack, and sewing machine in MY post, it's enough to throw anyone off. I have always said that I have no desire to sew. It held no interest for me. So feel free to hand me that big spoon full of crowe now and I'll dig in because, I was wrong.
I actually enjoy sewing!

35 Thoughts:

Y's creations said...

Wow, Tiffani, great looking aprons!
Keep on stichin'!

tharker said...

Thanks Wileen! You know I'm going to be calling on your for lots of help ;)

Chelsea said...

Cute, cute aprons. I'm impressed! I haven't sewn since 4th grade when I was in 4-H and won grand champion at the fair for my outfit. Guess it didn't stick.

I had no idea how to get to Badger Mountain either, and I was wondering if it was going to be fun. I hate hiking. It's very easy to find. Pretty much right off of Keen (via Queensgate). It's a really easy hike, so even I could enjoy it. I would go before it gets too cool and while the trees stll have leaves on.

Sarah said...

Cute apron Tiffani, what a lucky gal Kristen is. I really like that fabric, it is so fun!

Amy said...

Hooray! I love sewing too... if you ever need help, I'm here for you. The aprons turned out so cute! And look at you making up your own pattern for Hannah's apron.

Stephanie said...

So cute. You have a flair for fashion

Jan said...

Wileen can make comments. How fun for you guys.

You are sewing. Sew proud of your work girl. What a skill to learn and do. I really am glad that you are cutting up fabrics and ric racking and all sorts of things. Have fun and keep us motivated okay.

Crow is okay to eat around this time of year. Abundance.

tharker said...

Oooh, thanks for the offer Amy! I'll have to take you up on that!

tharker said...

Stephanie,
You're so nice! I don't know if I have a great flair for fashion, but I did really enjoy searching for just the right fabrics to go together.

Jan,
Wileen is commenting! I know!!! I'm still in a bit of shock, but it's the best kind of shock!

Kris said...

Tiffani, thanks so much for taking so much time to choose just the perfect fabric for me. I LOVE my new apron, and I feel lucky to have won your giveaway. It's so cute. It was fun visiting yesterday even while your kids were getting sprayed by my annoying sprinklers! :) That apron that you made for Hannah is so cute. I'm impressed with your desire and determination!

Vanessa said...

Maybe I'll eventually eat crow about sewing. I sure have been wrong about a lot of things I have said I don't want to do! The apron is adorable!

Adolescent Family said...

See, this is why they say "NEVER say never".

I too enjoy sewing, I'm just not super great at it. I'm right in the middle of blanket #3 for a few of my friends. After I finish picking out the seam I just screwed up I will be enjoying it a lot more :)

stylist to the stars said...

Tiffani they are adorable. Great job!

casee said...

Tiffani, I have been eating my words at every turn over the last year too. All I can say is, my mother was right, so I can totally relate!

I love the aprons, you are SO talented!

Michelle said...

You gave me the apron bug. I just bought a pattern and fabric to make some as Christmas gifts.

SuzanSayz said...

Tiffani, you have no idea how excited I get when younger women start learning to sew. Sewing is becoming such a lost art. I just get so happy when I see the next generation wanting to learn this great skill. Your aprons are very cute and if you think it's fun putting fabrics together to make an apron, just wait until you are ready to make a DRESS for your little Hannah!

SuzanSayz said...

P.S. I almost forgot to tell you, this next weekend JoAnn's Fabrics will have all their McCall's patterns on sale for 99 cents. They have lots of apron patterns, Check them out if you have the chance.

tharker said...

Thanks for the tip Susan!

I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to venture into making dresses...that thought is pretty scary to me ;)

Annette Rose said...

So you know that is about the cutest apron ever, says the person who swore to NEVER wear an apron! I want one! Its so cute!

Debie Spurgeon said...

It really is fun getting out the sewing machine and completing a project. I enjoy it too, though don't do it very often.
Your work looks fabulous, very cute!!

Chell said...

My sewing skills go as far as putting on a button...and badly at that.

Your aprons are the cutest!

Chell said...

My sewing skills go as far as putting on a button...and badly at that.

Your aprons are the cutest!

Jodi said...

Okay, now can you help me thread my new sewing machine? I bought it months ago and just took it out of the box. Mick asked me why I was taking it out and I said maybe that way I'll use it. But I'm clueless. It was 20 years ago that I took Home Ec. Yikes!! And I totally want to try making that CUTE apron. I love them!

Jodi said...

I just noticed what time it was when I posted my comment and realized I can hear Mick waking up for work already. Yikes! I guess I can't sneak in bed...

Lisa Christine said...

oh Tiffani! Those are gorgeous!!!

hatch said...

Tiffani you are awesome! I love that apron. Soo cute.

Emily said...

I'm impressed!! Good job. That (almost) makes me want to buy a sewing machine.

Heather said...

Sew cute!! Lame, I know.

Andre said...

You are on your way! I started with blankets, now look at all that I make! You'll make clothes. Someday. I'm here to help when you need me.

The Donald said...

My mom has sewn for as long as I can remember. In fact, some of my fondest childhood memories are her yelling at her sewing machine, and telling it what a hunk of junk it is. And how if she had the money, it would go in the trash.

Of course all of the yelling at this poor sewing machine that was ill equiped to defend itself from her oratory assaults mixed well with the Elton John Yellow Brick Road record that would be playing in the background.

Ahh....sewing memories from the early 80's...it takes me back.

Anywho, good luck with the sewing!

emahaf said...

That is such a fun apron I really love the material. Way to go.

Anonymous said...

I dont' swear...sewing makes me WANT to swear!
GENEIL

Taunya said...

You are so talented! I love that red apron! Adorable!

Brooklet said...

What, Wileen is commenting?? How come not on any of my posts!!!

Way to go, Tiffani! The aprons are so cute and I am so impressed with your mad skills!

Kim said...

You and I are two peas in a pod. Sewing is like unicycling to me. However, 2 weeks ago I was working on a project that required me to walk into Joann's and let me tell you the color and patterns of the fabric called out my name. I also felt like I was on hallowed ground because I knew that my mom had graced that store so many times. I will be getting a sewing machine soon. I WILL be attempting some cute aprons as well as trying to do anything that my little heart desires, because I Can do hard things. Thanks for the inspiration. YOu go you little homemakeer!!!!!! Love ya