Friday, October 10, 2008

Memories

Spencer and I attended a viewing tonight for the Grandmother of one of my oldest friends, Amy. Cindy's husband John is Amy's older brother. As she and I sat and visited, we thought it was funny that 20 years ago, I never would have thought that one day I would be good friends with John's future wife, and that our children would one day be dear friends. It's funny how life works, but I am so happy that it worked out the way that it did. I love the friendship that I have with Cindy, and am so thankful for her.

Then it got me thinking. Was it really 20 years ago that I met this wonderful friend? Next year it will be! My first thought was, "Man, I'm getting old!", but that thought was quickly banished as I started to replay in my mind so many good memories from our years of friendship. Her Grandmother, Bev was such a sweet woman. She could make you feel like she was your own grandmother. She had this amazing ability to make anyone and everyone feel comfortable and completely loved and accepted.

When Cindy told me earlier in the week that Bev's time was coming to a close, I kept thinking of the many, many hours I spent as a teenager sitting around her kitchen table. She would stuff us with cookies and then quiz us on the latest happenings with the boys we liked, what was going on at school and church, ask about the various activities we were involved in, and then more about boys. I loved talking with Bev. She was so warm and funny, and just so darn genuine. Anyone who met her couldn't help falling in love with her!

Right now my head is swirling with a mix of random memories, so bare with me.

My first memory of Amy is from 7th grade when she stepped on my brand new really white Keds. She said she couldn't stand them to look so new and perfect, so she stepped on them. This little ritual continued anytime I got a new pair of Keds throughout the years. I remember it bothering me because I loved them to look fresh and new, but now it is so funny to me!

I'll never forget the first time I went to Amy's house. The feeling that was there was so different from anything I'd felt in a long time. My family wasn't active in the church and was having a lot of struggles at the time. There was always a tense feeling in my house, but going to Amy's home was like a breath of fresh air to me. Amy's family was so much fun to be around, and they made me feel so welcome.

Her house became a second home for me. For years, they opened their doors to me like I was one of their own. It was like a refuge from the storm, and I loved every minute that I spent there. Sometimes I wonder if she or her family has any idea of the impact for good that they had on my life. Being around them and feeling so loved and accepted inspired me to become the kind of person that I wanted to be. I am so thankful for them.

It really is amazing just how important friends are.

9 Thoughts:

Mandy Rasmussen said...

It sounds like they are wonderful people! I think it takes a lot of people to raise a child. I am glad you they were there when you needed someone at the point of your growing up years! My grandparents were there for me at some difficult family times also -they were really my second parents in many ways! They were blessings! Another reason I know the Lord loves me! I am sorry for your loss and pray for you and your friend!

PRP said...

I saw her obituary in the paper and my thoughts immediately went to John and Cindy. And then you, because of what you had just shared with me.

I'm glad you found comfort with one another and that they helped shape you to the wonderful person you are today.

Emily said...

I remember many time at Bev's home with Amy! She was such a wonderful woman. I'm sad to hear she passed. I remember going waterskiing with them all the time. That was such a neat family. I too am grateful for their influence on my life! Thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

That was so sweet! I'm glad you had those experiences growing up. What sweet memories for you and your friend!

Jan said...

What dear memories Tiffani. I am so very sorry about the loss. It sounds like she lived a very happy and caring life. What a gift to give to you and her family. She was an anchor for you.

Ms. Kristen said...

Very nice post....friends and family are upmost important!

Cindy said...

I was taken back when I saw this post. It has been an emotional week around here. Thank you for remembering Bev this way. We have heard from so many people who felt the same as you - that she was a warm, wonderful and giving person who cared for the lives of everyone around her. She took such an interest in people's lives. She always knew what questions to ask and people felt a desire to answer and share.

One personal memory (if I may): When John and I started dating, Bev called me on a regular basis. We had never met in person, but she included me in her circle. She sent care packages to me filled with caramel brownies. She even insisted that I didn't have to share them with her grandson. (I don't remember if I did or not.) She accepted me from day one and made joining this great family so effortless.

I miss her terribly but know I have already learned so much from her. Thanks Tiffani for posting and giving me an opportunity (if only as a comment) to share a bit of Bev's story.

tharker said...

Thank you Cindy!

Casee said...

The Keds thing would have bugged me too!

Aren't friends great?! I think about all of my friends who have brought so much goodness into my life and I feel grateful for the opportunity to know them. I count you as one of those friends, although we have never officially met. Thanks Tiffani!