Monday, December 15, 2008

Kicking Myself.

I have been kicking myself for days now. All over a silly little coat. But look at it. Isn't it pretty?

Here's the story. A few days ago, I realized that my two oldest children were in need of new snow suits. Normally, I would head out to Target or other such places, but I decided that it would be stupid for me to spend $60 on snow suits that would only be used a handful of times. We just don't get enough snow around here for me to justify that. So, I decided to try out Value Village and see what I could find.

Jake and I made our way in to the store, and within minutes, I had scored two great snow suits for Hannah and Josh for $5 each. Serious score! I actually found Hannah's in the Women's section. They just happened to have an XS, and even though it's a bit big for her, it works. As I was looking for Hannah's suit, I glanced into the coats and saw a red pea coat very similar to the one featured above. It was in great condition, looked almost new, and was exactly my size. The best part is that it was only $15!! I snatched it up, and was already thinking about which dry cleaner I would drop it off at on my way home.

We finished browsing around, and made it up to the front of the store to pay for our finds. When I got to the counter, I began thinking, 'Do I really need this coat? I've got a perfectly good coat right here.' I convinced myself that I didn't need the coat after all, and told the cashier that I wouldn't be including it in my purchases. I paid for the snow suits and we were on our way to finish the rest of our errands.

For the rest of the day I could not stop thinking about that crazy coat. I went to bed thinking about it. I woke up, and it was still on my mind. I decided that I would just go back and get the coat after I dropped Jake off at preschool. I should have known better! I walked in to Value Village naively expecting that pretty little coat to be back in it's place, but to my horror, it was GONE! I searched through all of the red coats just in case it was in the wrong spot, but it was no where to be found.

No, I didn't really NEED the coat, but it was so cute and such a great deal! I'm usually not much of a second hand store shopper, but I've learned two great lessons from this experience.

1. You CAN find some great things in a second hand store.

and

2. When you find a really great deal, buy it!

14 Thoughts:

MadMadameMim said...

I so feel your pain. I am such a cautious shopper, cause I hate buying things that I end up not liking or not using much, that sometimes I find myself in that place of passing up and amazing deal on a really desired item and kicking myself later. So sorry, it is a cute coat.

hatch said...

Oh I feel for you! I have done that soooo many times. That is a bummer.

Emily said...

Bummer! Hopefully you feel better now after writing about it:)

Jan said...

Those moments really haunt ya. I know those shoulda coulda woulda. They keep on kickin ya. Sounds darling.

Casee said...

It is really pretty. Sorry you let her go... maybe another will come your way soon!

dandee said...

Great idea going thrifty for the snowsuits!

I too have kicked myself later for not snagging a great deal.

Sarah said...

That is a super cute coat, love red! I can totally feel for ya on this one. I've done this many times before, it is so disapointing.

Amy said...

Sorry about your coat! It is really pretty! Liah is reading everything over my shoulder out loud as I type it and it is driving me crazy!

Debie Spurgeon said...

You're right, if it's there just go for it. I've lost some great things too. You can't beat the prices of some second hand stores and it's so fun looking.

stylist to the stars said...

You will be totally prepared for next time. It was a great idea to look there for the snow suits.

PRP said...

I was out all warm and snug today in my red wool coat...!

Next time you'll be ready!

Kris said...

I hate it when that happens. I hope you find it again or something similar soon!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

A red pea coat is on the top of my christmas list. I shuddered as I read this story.

Brooklet said...

This story reminds me of a red coat I had when i was little. I hated it, i don't know why, but I didn't like it but had to wear it as it was the only coat I had. one day, i accidently left it on the bus, never saw it again.

Random story, I know. Buts its what your post made me think of.