Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Moms for Modesty


A friend told me about this website, and asked if I would pass it along. After checking it out, I am more than happy to.

If you're tired of :


  • Seeing halter tops and micro minis geared toward 3 year olds
  • Seeing "Juicy" written on the butt of the sweat pants that your 11 year old wants to buy with her birthday money
  • Searching high and low for anything but Daisy Dukes for your 6 year old granddaughter
  • Witnessing the sexualization of OUR LITTLE GIRLS by clothing companies

Then feel free to sign the petition HERE.


Thankfully, Hannah feels that modesty is very important. She won't even wear the leotard with the spaghetti straps to ballet. This is all her. I've told her that for ballet, the spaghetti strap leotard would be just fine, but she is very firm. She will only wear the ones with sleeves. Her view on this may change as the years go on, but for now this is where she stands. I am so proud of her for making the decision on her own to do what she feels is right.


When I go shopping for Hannah, I feel like there is this big push in a lot of the stores to age up our girls, and I think that some of the clothes are just screaming sexuality. Do I want my 9 year old dressing a la Britney Spears, in a school girl outfit complete with plaid mini skirt? (I saw this one while Christmas shopping for Hannah a couple of weeks ago) No thank you!


The examples that I listed above are all clothes that I have seen in the LITTLE GIRLS' SECTION of various stores. We, as mothers have the responsibility to teach our girls to respect their bodies, to love the body that God created for them. In my mind, that begins with how we teach them to dress those bodies. I would be 100% loyal to a store that consistently carries modest clothes for girls. Our girls can still be stylish and modest and the same time.

5 Thoughts:

Sarah said...

Here,here. I agree whole heartedly. My husband and I were just talking about this exact thing tonight because of some girls I've seen at Kendle's school. The really sad thing is when I see a little girl dressed up like a super diva and wonder why her mother would let her out of the house that way, and then I see her mother who is dressed the same way. Then it totally makes sense. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's disgusted with the clothing and marketing for girls. It is NOT cute to see an eight year old in a mini skirt, boots, and a skin-tight shirt that says "Bad Girl" in rhinestones.

Amy said...

Amen! And good for Hannah!

Jan said...

I heart you and Hannah for this. This is so needed to be taught and applied. :)

Andre said...

It's important for our girls to be taught modesty NOW so hopefully it will carry on into teenage years.

Yesterday Savannah put on a shirt that was smaller and showed her tummy a little. She really wanted to wear it and decided on her own to put a longer shirt under it so her tummy would be covered. (When I wash it, it will be pulled out!) I was so glad that she knew on her own that half an inch of tummy showing is not cool.

Sara said...

I am not excited to reach this phase with my soon to be little girl, but I already feel and can see the constant pressure placed on girls and women of all ages. Thanks for the link