Josh is home from school today. He's been fighting a dry cough off and on for a few days, then last night it sounded a bit more throaty {is that a word?} so I decided to keep him home. I'm hoping that it doesn't get worse and that it goes away very quickly. {is that too much to ask for in one prayer?} Plus, I really don't want him to miss out on the rare opportunity that we will have this Sunday to go to Stake Conference and hear Elder Holland. He is coming here to our stake, and I am so looking forward to my children hearing from an Apostle of the Lord.
I've been trying desperately to keep my family healthy. We've been poppin' loads and loads of extra Vitamin C for weeks, drinking gallons of extra O.J., gargling with salt water, enjoying mounds of oranges {oh...ice cold orange...how you hit the spot} and trying to make sure we all get enough sleep. Not to mention the amounts of hand soap and Purell that we've used...
I've been so paranoid about us getting sick so close to the baby coming, and I'm still hopeful that we'll get through this nasty sick season without too many struggles. {Again, it might be wishful thinking, but I'm okay with that} It's funny looking back to when Hannah was born on a cold December day almost 10 years ago, because honestly, sickness didn't even cross my mind. I was all too eager to show off my new baby. I would let anyone hold her and I think I took her to church after about 3 weeks. I look back on that and think how foolish I was, but also very lucky that she never got sick. {Seriously though, that girl has always had rock solid immunity. She rarely ever gets sick}
This time around, I plan on fully becoming a hermit for at least 6 weeks...maybe longer. Purell will become my best friend, as well for anyone who wishes to hold my little babe. And while I fully want to show her off, I will definitely be more selective about the time and places that I venture out with baby in tow. So yes, I would most definitely love visitors anytime after she is born, as long as they are of the healthy variety. Otherwise, the showing off will be done here on the blog.
Call me paranoid, crazy, a hypochondriac...whatever...but I'm not willing to take any chances with everything that's going around right now.


12 Thoughts:
Even 5 years ago when anna was born sickness didn't cross my mind. Is it a first time mom thing or has being healthy minded changed that much?
Amen! I dont' think you are paranoid or crazy at all- when a newborn gets sick, it can be serious stuff and so sad- especially in RSV, flu season. I don't quite get why people don't take it more seriously when their drs caution not taking their babies to public places (especially germ-filled church) for 6 weeks during rsv season. I remember when i taught high school (at an alternative high school, where there were a lot of teen pregnancies, where the girls would want to bring in their two day old babies to school, to show them off) a nurse from a local hospital brough in pictures of new borns, hooked up to tubes, lying in hospitals, so so sick with RSV- I won't forget those images, and it is not uncommon, and I, too, will be staying home for at least six weeks, trying to keep all the nasty sick germs away.. . and if I see your week-old newborn at church, I will be giving you the stink eye.
Sorry for the long, ranting comment. this is something I am apparently pretty passionate and opinionated about.
I understand how you feel. I was like that with both of my babies. I just did not want to take any chances. Its to scary especially with all the junk going around. I will be sending healthy thoughts your way!
Welcome to the germ-freak club as my kids so lovingly call me. I was never worried about germs until Mikael was born end of October and was so sick and had to be hospitalized. Keep on praying and using your purell, everything will be ok. I am a firm believer in 6 weeks away from everything after the baby is born. Kiss your kids after school and then feed the baby, that way she can build immunity through mamas milk. I practically licked my kids after school and then fed Maija, but like I said, germ freak. :)
Kati you are cracking me up! I hope you've already stocked up on the Purell... because you just might have people banging down the door to see that cute girl.
Isn't Kati's comment so funny? I was laughing so hard when I read it. Yes, I've got a few bottles of Purell for just this purpose.
Walk in, Purell up, hold baby. In that order.
I'm in the same boat, I really don't want my new babe to get sick. I'm starting to think 6 weeks home with a snuggley baby during the winter doesn't sound too bad!
I support that with all my heart. And I will be praying for non-sickness in your home!
I totally get where you are comimg from! I would be doing the same thing especially with all the recent crazy germs out right now! Good luck and stay healthy!
absolutely the truth! with a newborn last year, we didn't go out much and really we wore her in the baby bjorn much of the time--to keep onlookers and touchers at bay.
always better to be safe than sorry.
hold strong.
I am with you, right after Will was born, there was a break out of swine flu in our ward, so I kept him home from church for seven weeks and that was even in the summer time. Now Matt and I take turns going to meetings, because there have been around ten families in our ward that have had the swine flu in the last month. Beyond that, I rarely take him places where there will be large gatherings of people who I know will want to maul him. Yes, I know I am crazy, he is five months old not two weeks, but I just don't want to chance it. So, I think you are wise in keeping that little girl at home and making sure to keep sick people away.
I never thought twice about taking my new babes out. I was so excited to show them off! Even Elisabeth, right after she came home from the NICU, was going everywhere with me.
But if I were having a baby this season...this year...I would be right along with you, hunkering down for a long stay in the saftey of my own home, free from germs.
With all the flu viruses floating around, I don't blame you a bit for wanting to stay in. I would do the same.
And I might just take you up on your offer to come over and visit your new little one....I promise I'll sanitize :)
Hope all is going well Tiffani! What an exciting time!
Post a Comment