Friday, July 02, 2010

I like boring.

You know when people ask you what you've been up to, and while you know you've been busy, you can't think of a single thing?  Yeah.  Me too.  And I hate it!

Since I had Eva, I feel like I live in a constant cycle of nursing, diapers, and sleep.  None of which is a bad thing.  In fact, I absolutely love all of it! (the diapers I could do without)

Life has slowed down in a big way since our little miss arrived.  I don't run around town near as much, actually I rarely leave my house because my schedule revolves around her schedule.  Which is, wake up, nurse, eat breakfast (oatmeal and some sort of fruit is her absolute favorite), play for about an hour, nurse, nap for a couple of hours.  Wake up, nurse, play, eat lunch, play, nurse, nap....you get the idea.

This is life at my house.  All day.  Every day.  And it is blissful for the most part.  She really is such a dream baby who sleeps through the night most of the time, and is happy, and sweet almost always.  Except for Sunday.  She hates Sundays.  She does not like to sleep at church because she just wants her bed.  But, really I can't complain.  Fussy baby one day out of seven?  I'll take it.  She won't stay little forever, and I want to enjoy her babyhood in every way possible.

And in between all of this are 3 adorable children and a sweet husband.  A house that needs cleaning, laundry to be washed and folded, food to cook.  Sadly, some of this falls through the cracks sometimes, and has to wait longer than is socially acceptable...namely folded laundry.

But I worry that my kids are bored.  This summer is different from other summers that they've enjoyed.  We are home.  A lot.  We're not doing swim lessons after all.  Hannah and Josh both decided they were done....much to my chagrin.  Don't they know that those lessons were as much a lifeline for their mother as it was for them?  Adult conversation for even 30 minutes would have been lovely...Oh well, so it goes.  There are days when we throw caution to the wind, and do something crazy like go to Target, or to the park.  I know, we're wild!  But frankly, it's just not worth it to disrupt Eva's schedule, because then I am paying for it all night long.

The good news is they have played together more and been forced to be more creative in their games than they have in a very long time.  Yes, they fight.  Holy cats, they fight.  But.  It's been so good for them to have to work out their differences on their own since I'm more busy with the baby.  That has been a great thing to sit back and witness.  They build forts, they play on the slip n slide, they eat popsicles by the truck load.  They watch movies, they make messes.  And really, for the most part, it's been a pretty good summer so far.

So yes, by some standards, we might be boring.  Okay, by all standards, we're boring.  However, I am so much more okay with that than I ever thought I would be, and that makes me ridiculously happy.  Turns out, boring's not so bad after all.

Post edit:
After re-reading this post, I can see how crazy all over the place it is.  Maybe I need to get out after all?

6 Thoughts:

Chelsea said...

We are so boring too! Naptime is what everything revolves around in this house. I see no need to wrestle to boys at the store, at the library, or wherever else. However, I do like going to the pool. That being said, our summer has been so terrible weather wise that we haven't even done that!

Rebekah said...

you think you're all over the place? I think you sound very grounded.

Sara said...

I love it, life does seem to always revolve around baby and when and how that works in your own personal home. I am glad boring is "in" because I fit so well with this.

Emily said...

I always say that boring means that all's well. Enjoy the boring and be grateful that things aren't too exciting! :)

Andre said...

It's not boring, it's relaxed. Summer is about doing spur of the moment things and not having such a schedule. Enjoy Eva; Colby is already 14 months old. Don't turn around; she'll grow up on you!

Lisa Christine said...

I think some of the most magical summer memories are the ones including fort building and popsicles.

Keep enjoying that sweet Eva :)

By the way....I was bummed that you left the reception before I had a chance to really say hello and give Eva a hug. But...I was thrilled to see you (and her) all the same!