Saturday, August 28, 2010

Rollin'.


Jake got his new wheelchair today, and as you can see, he is loving it!  {He's also sporting a brand spankin' new Ti-Lite T-shirt designed by our friend Tyler}

Let me tell you.  This wheelchair is quite possibly the coolest I've ever seen.  He got to choose everything from the design of the chair he wanted, to the color of the frame and even the spokes.  He wanted bright yellow spokes, but his uptight mother put the ki-bosh on that one.  Thankfully he was easily convinced that orange spokes would look awesome with his orange and black chair.  Phew!

But as cool as his custom fitted, orange and black wheelchair looks, what really sets this chair apart is that it is made from Titanium.  Thus, it weighs almost nothing.  I'm not kidding.  I can pick the whole thing up with one hand!  I'm sure you can guess just what this means for Mr. Jacob.  Much easier mobility. {oh, and he can fly....his poor mother nearly has a heart attack when she sees how fast he can go}

With school starting in a matter of days, I do believe this is the best back to school accessory ever!

P.S.
Keep your eyes peeled for a very special something regarding Mr. Jacob and his chair!  I'll be posting it just as soon as everything's a go.

12 Thoughts:

Emily said...

Wahoo!! Jake is one deserving boy! I'm so happy for him (and you).

Chelsea said...

So cool. Love that grin even more than the wheelchair though!

Sarah said...

That is so awesome! He will be rollin in style for sure. This makes me so happy for him (and you)!

Kris said...

This is so awesome! I love the colors. It seems he is a fellow Beaver Fan! :) I can't wait to see the next posting. I think it will be awesome to see. Congrats to you Tiff. How awesome that he got a new chair for the new school year!

Lisa Christine said...

Fabulous!

And should I admit that I am a teeny bit jealous of that chair? Elisabeth's chair ways a ton. It is so heavy that it takes every bit of strength I can muster up to lift it in and out of the van....so I hardly use it, except in the house. And starting next week she'll ride it on the school bus. But for around town errands I just use the stroller because it is not so heavy.


So happy for Jake! (and you!)

Heather said...

It rocks! Tyler's shirt is pretty cool too. Can't wait to get run over in the halls by that lightning bolt!!

Sara said...

Awesome color choice! That is remarkable how light the whole chair is.

dandee said...

you're right, that is the best back to school accessory ever!

hooray for Jake!

Lovely Lindsay said...

so cool!
and seriously - how handsome is that boy of yours getting? he's looking rather grown-up.
love, lindsay

Keryn said...

Have you checked out Aaron Fotheringham? He's a wheelchair athlete, and he just barely (like two days ago) landed his first double 360 (like two somersaults, only on his wheelchair).

He's my cousin, and he's awesome. He has spina bifida, although no shunt (which is why he gets away with so many concussions). You can google him to get to his website.

tharker said...

Oh, Keryn...yes I've seen what he can do, and nearly have a panic attack every time I see it ;) Jake saw one of his videos on youtube once, and thought it was just about the coolest thing he's ever seen! (i had to forbid him from ever watching the videos again...just kidding ;) He seems like a very cool guy and what an awesome example to other kids with disabilities. They truly can do anything!

Wow, I'm totally impressed that he doesn't have a shunt. What a blessing!

Keryn said...

I know, Tiffany. The whole non-shunt thing is something I am jealous of.

But I wince every time he face-plants or crashes. Ouch! I know my aunt and uncle and grandma worry but they want him to do what he loves.

I just hope my boy (he's only 3) doesn't get disappointed about not doing something similar! Besides the whole shunt thing, I'm not sure my heart could handle it!