Sunday, August 29, 2010

Feast 'a la NieNie.

In preparation {and celebration} of tomorrow's big day, tonight we held our annual Back to School Feast. {and when i say annual, i really mean 2nd year running...} Of course I, like everyone else got the idea from the ever brilliant NieNie.  But my kids love it. {mostly because we get to use the "special glasses"}  And I'll admit, it's totally fun to do!


The spread.
Fresh garden tomatoes
{thank you Zimmermans and Larsons!!}
Rice
Peas
{I would love to say "fresh" but really, fresh from the microwave is more like it}
Apple Juice
{in the "special glasses"}


The fam ready to chow down!
{doesn't spencer look thrilled to have me taking pictures?}


My plate.
Mmmm.


For dessert, we had these babies
.

Then Hannah and Josh happily washed the dishes.


Well, maybe not happily...


And lest you think that we had a perfect evening, Jake promptly spilled his apple juice every.where. as soon as it had been poured, and Eva barfed up the peas she had been snacking on.  It was awesome.

Other than that, all was good.  I'm happy and sad to send my children out the door tomorrow.  Happy because they are excited.  Sad because it means that yet again, I am reminded just how quickly they are growing up.  I don't think I'm ready for that quite yet.

8 Thoughts:

Emily said...

You are such an awesome mom! And cook, of course!!

Happy Back To School!!

Kris said...

Yay for a fun family tradition. Your food looks so yummy! Back to school is always bittersweet.

Sarah said...

I loved the comment about Jake spilling his apple juice. We can't go one family dinner without someone spilling something either. (sometimes it's me, oops)

Way to get those kids in there washing the dishes too!

Casee said...

I love the idea of the back to school feast, as everyone else seems to as well... It is a nice way to send them off to a new year. The food looks yummy by the way! And yes, kids seem to grow up way too fast, have you found a pause button yet?

tharker said...

No Casee, but when I do, I'm getting a patent on that baby and I'm going make millions!!

Marilyn said...

Thanks for sharing your feast. I am doing our first feast tomorrow evening. School starts on Wednesday for us and I can't wait to start this new school year with a special family dinner.

PRP said...

So glad your dinner went well, since, well, you know...:)

dandee said...

nie is brilliant. love your feast and all of those happy, smiling faces.