Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Happy Bread Making

While perusing Lee's blog a few days ago, she posted a mouthwatering picture of a loaf of freshly homemade bread that her friend made for her. Let me tell you, I was drooling!

Then as I was checking Lee's blog today, to my absolute delight, I found a link to this girl's blog where she was sharing her recipe! My heart and my stomach leaped for joy. Not only did it look super easy, but also super fast. So what did I do? I did what any food loving girl would. I made bread this afternoon. Let me tell you, it was heaven. I asked her if she would mind me sharing the recipe here on my blog and she graciously granted my wish, but only if I could somehow link her name with strobe lights and other such fanfare. Well, I'm fresh out of strobe lights, so I hope that she won't mind.

Even if you are not a bread maker, or if you are at all afraid of yeast, you NEED to try this one out. It is so easy. Who knew that you could have healthy, homemade bread an hour?

Basic Bread

3 cups warm liquid--this could be water or milk or a combination of both---(I combined 1 1/2 cups of each and then warmed them)

1/2 cup sweetener--sugar, honey, or brown sugar---any of these will do nicely

3 Tbsp yeast

Approximately 8 cups of flour---if using whole wheat flour, add 1 Tbsp gluten per cup of flour---(I used a mixture of half white flour and half whole wheat flour, so I didn't need the gluten)

1/2 cup oil

1 Tbsp salt

Combine milk, sugar and yeast in a bowl and mix lightly. Let it rise until large and bubbly--(Mine only took about 10 minutes)

Add about 4 cups of the flour, then the oil to the yeast mixture. Mix well, and add salt. Add the rest of the flour, one cup at a time and mix well. If dough still feels too sticky, add a little bit of flour at a time mixing well after each addition until it feels right. Knead for a couple of minutes.

Spray baking pans with Pam and set aside

Cut dough into 3 pieces, shape and place in pans. Cover with a towel and let rise for about 20 minutes in a warm place. Bake for 30 minutes @325. Makes 3 loaves.


Her post shows some great pictures of her mixing process, and she has a couple more in depth instructions of how the dough should feel. Check it out, it is very helpful.

Now go make some bread. You can do it!!!

23 Thoughts:

Kris said...

I just made some yummy banana bread last night. Regular & Gluten Free! I will have to try this recipe sometime! Looks easy and yummy!

Tiff, I love how you share all of these recipes and encourage & motivate all of us to make things that look very intimidating. You are awesome! Thanks!

Casee said...

Mmm... I am going to try this, I love fresh home-made bread! Thank you!

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing! Bread-making made easy? Yes please!!!! I'm going to try this out soon.

Marilyn said...

I am ashamed to admit, I have never made bread. But you said it was easy, so I will give it a try. My husband will think he has died and gone to heaven when he walks in and smells fresh, homebaked bread.

Debie Spurgeon said...

Yum. There's nothing like the smell of fresh bread out of the oven. Thanks for the recipe.

tharker said...

Marilyn,

I had never made bread until 2 or 3 years ago. Yeast scared me. You shouldn't be ashamed to admit it ;) I can't wait to hear all about your adventures in bread making.

emahaf said...

Thanks for the recipe I am going to try it some time this week. Hopefully everything works out all right.

Emily said...

Is there a way to make this in a bread machine? I'm lazy and don't feel like kneading dough by hand...lol! Thanks for the recipe. I'm sure my family will love me for making them freshly baked bread... one of my favorite smells by the way!

Sara said...

I love making bread and the smell is so heavenly. Great recipe.

hatch said...

Thanks Tiffany for sharing this. I saw this on Lee's blog and I wanted some so bad. I have been looking for another bread recipe to try.

By the way the girl whoes blog you got this from. Is a very talented cook. She is in my Mom's ward and has shared some recipes with my Mom and they are awesome!

Lee said...

It is great huh? Glad you like it!! And seriously it is some of the BEST bread ever.

tharker said...

It is so fabulous, that I made it again today! I know. I'm totally crazy, but it is THAT good!

Kim,
Just from this recipe, it's obvious to me that she is one talented lady in the kitchen. I really appreciate her sharing it with us!

tharker said...

Emily,
Do you have a KitchenAid or a Bosch? They do the kneading for you! And if you don't have one...well...you KNEAD to get one!

Ms. Kristen said...

Cant wait to try it! Thanks for reminding me of the basics!

Brooklet said...

Wow, fresh bread, two days in a row. . it must be good! I will definitely try it.

Pearl Girl said...

I have been looking for new bread recipes Thanks. I just made some. I just hate how it usually takes half of the day. It was so nice to be able to make bread in an hour or so. I was able to make this, feed, and bathe the baby, while I was watching American Idol. It was good.

Have you ever made the honey oatmeal bread on the back of the gluten bag? I think its the same as the one in the pink 1st ward cookbook by S. Bagley. IT IS AWESOME (but quite a bit more complicated than this new recipe.)
Thanks again

polka dots said...

I think I am going to try this, as long as YOU say it is easy. Ever since your cinnamon rolls, I have a little more confidence.

tharker said...

Becky,
It is amazing all of the things that you can do while making this bread! I'm glad you liked it.

Kristen,
Totally try this bread. The only problem is that you'll be making it everyday! I made a batch yesterday, but gave all three loaves away, so I'll be making more today if you want to come sample some!

Emily said...

I am gonna try this!! I'm always on the look-out for good, easy bread recipes. I know if you say it's good, it IS! Thanks for sharing!

Kelsey said...

Looks like I need to go buy some bread pans!

Jodi said...

Okay, I guess I need to make some bread now too. Thanks for the recipe! I've been wanting to break in my stone bread pans (does it work with stoneware?).

fivekidsandsomechocolate said...

Jodi-
Stoneware is all I use. Spray them really well if they are new. I also like to warm them up a bit before I put the dough in them to raise.

Lisa Christine said...

OK, I am copying down the recipe. My girls and I are making this today!