Saturday, November 18, 2006

A window to the world.


So I think we all know that I am not a decorator. It's not my stong suit. Ask me to bake you some rolls, I'm on it! Ask me to hang a picture and it will turn out crap everytime! So when I went to Deb Fox's show yesterday, I was to put it mildly a bit overwhelmed. So many cute things. What do I do? Where do I start? Where would they look best? How do I hang them straight? Does this match anything in my house? I needed serious help. Then I saw it, the answer to my prayers.

A bit overstated? Possibly. But I fell in love with it. Of course it took Karen a good ten minutes to convince me that YES I should get it and that my house would never be decorated at the snail's pace that it takes me to decide anything! So I took the plunge and got it. I brought it home excited to show Spencer my new find and he said, "You bought a window"? I told him that I planned to put it in the dining room and it would look so cute there. He said still he didn't get it. But that was okay.

Then today came the impossible task(for me) of actually hanging it on my wall. It took me a good long while(Ok, over an hour) to get it up and I still had to have Karen come over and give me "hanging" advice. You would think that I am a 3 year old wouldn't you? But it's up now and I love it. Granted it's the only thing actually on my walls in the dining room, but it's a start. I do have a word trio coming that I ordered. Live, Laugh, and Love, so they will soon have a new home on their shelves in the dining room also. Look for another post expressing my frustration over hanging those shelves. I'm no Martha that's for sure, but maybe I can get the hang of this decorating stuff after all. Well, someday!

10 Thoughts:

Alicia Leppert said...

I hear ya, sister. I obsess over everything when it comes to decorating my house. Not because I'm good at it and want it to be perfect, but because I suck at it and worry that people will make fun of me for thinking it actually looks good.

tharker said...

Yeah I'm right there with ya. Another time Karen was over and we were discussing the arrangement or lack there of...of the pictures on my wall. After discussing it for a while we decided I should just stick to baking and call it good! If we all combined our talents we could make the perfect woman!

Anonymous said...

Looks great. Is that a new table or did you just repaint your old one? Looks great either way. Love the curtains too. I don't know why you are so hard on yourself, you've only lived there for what, four years? About now is the time to put up those pictures anyway. I've lived in our apartment for over a year and still have a stack of pictures and diplomas to hang.

tharker said...

Yes it's a new table. For us at least. Some friends were getting a new table and chairs and we gladly inherited this set. I love it!

Anonymous said...

I'm ticked. I couldn't make it Deb's show till saturday morning and I knew it was too late. There was hardly anything there. I'm so mad you posted about how many cute things were there. Thanks for the invite on Friday.

Brooklet said...

Very cute--one step at a time. And I do love, love your dining set. I take the same approach to decorating- I figure I will have everything just as I want it, in about 11 years.

Anonymous said...

I am the same way when it comes to decorating. And that is why Al did most of the decorating in our previous house -- all fly fishing pictures and stuff. But I want to try and do more for our next house. And I have 9-1/2 months to figure stuff out. Let's see what I can find.

tharker said...

Monica have you heard of Tai-Pan Trading Company? I think that's what it's called anyway. My friend says it's in Sandy. She says they have tons of really cool stuff for very reasonable prices. I guess it's huge too, she says you could literally spend hours just checking it out. Next time I come down let's go!

Anonymous said...

I believe it is on 90th south, near where we used to live.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have heard of it, but never been there, but have always wanted to check it out. There is even a brand new one up in my neck of the woods. So I should really go look.