Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The redemption of the Puerto Rican Princess

A few weeks ago, we all got a good laugh at our friend Karen's blog reporting her self-dissapointment because Sienna was behind on a couple of series of immunizations. The only reason I felt justified for laughing was that at one time Jake was 2 or more series behind himself, but not anymore, he was all caught up now thank you very much!

Well my smugness with my temporary good parenting skills didn't last long. I took Josh in for his 5 year well check on Tuesday. (Nevermind that he actually turned 5 in August) I'm the first to admit that I've never really found much use for the well child visits after the age of 18 months or 2 years old. I tend to find them to be a waste of time after this point. I can weigh and measure my child at home without paying a $20 co-pay. And since I feel like that's all the doctor really does at a well child visit, consequently my children only go to the doctor if they need shots or if they are very sick. Great mom huh? As Josh will be going to Kindergarten next year, he needed to get his shots, so off to the doctor we went. Turns out that somewhere along the way he got behind on 2 shots, not 2 series, but just 2 shots. I don't know if they were out at the time that he was supposed to get them or what, but somehow we have never caught this mishap.

Anyway the doctor comes in and starts asking Josh lots of questions and Josh puts on his best "I'm the silliest boy in the world" act. I was cracking up at some of the things he was saying, I don't even remember what they were but he was funny. So the doctor begins to look through his chart and says, "Wow, it's been a while since we've seen Josh". To which I reply, "I know. When was the last time I brought him in, was it when he was 2 or 3?" The doctor looks at me like I'm a total idiot, and says,"Um, more like 1". Shock and awe...."Really, I haven't brought him in since he was 1? That can't be right". So of course thinking, "I'm the mom, I know he's been in since then", I check his shot records and low and behold the last time he was in was August 30, 2002!!! So, with my tail between my legs, I admitted that the doctor was right and promise to be a better parent. But let's be honest here, do you really think he'll be coming in for his 6 year well check??? I'm sure the next time Josh sees his doctor will be in 6th grade when he needs his booster shots. At least now I know why we missed it that he was behind 2 shots.

And to top off this day of poor parenting, I forgot to give Josh Motrin before we left for the doctor, so I thought I would do it when we got home. No, no, forgot that too. So around midnight the poor kid came in crying that his legs were hurting and he had a fever. So I finally gave him some medicine and had to carry him back to bed because he said it hurt to walk. I'm telling you, that "Mother of the Year" award is never coming my way!!!

So, the Puerto Rican Princess has been redeemed! I am now at the top of the list for most neglegent parent, 2006! Well, let's just backtrack and list me from 2002 on!

1 Thoughts:

emahaf said...

be grateful that you never have to take your kids to the doctor. Conner is a favorite at the office and is in so much that all I have to say when he needs an appt is that this is conners mom. I would love not to even be aware of who my doctor was.