Monday, September 17, 2007

An "E" for EFFORT, or a "U" for UGLY?

Jake requested a Cowboy Boot cake for his birthday, and since I'm such an awesome mom, I said yes. Actually, the only reason I said yes, was because this cake is super easy to make! Yeah, the cake is easy, but apparently I have the decorating skills of a child. He wanted a red boot, but naturally I couldn't get the frosting red enough. Even after using an entire tube of red food color gel, it still resembled Raspberry Beret lip gloss! So I added a bunch of yellow and he ended up with an orange cake. Yeah, I know. The bottom of the cake looks like the cowboy stepped in a cow patty! And yes the frosting has the same melted look that poor Lindsay's Cinderella cake had, but it's the thought that counts right? At least he wasn't afraid of his cake! When Lance saw the cake, he asked me why I made Jake a Rain boot cake. I had to laugh! Jake loved his cowboy boot, so I guess that's all that matters. In fact this morning, he told me that he dreamed about his cake last night. Hopefully he didn't have nightmares!

21 Thoughts:

Shells said...

I'd give you an A for "accomplished something my child asked me to do." I love the picture of Jake and his cake. You did a better job than I could of, I'm lacking the creative gene.

PRP said...

Ok, you and Lindsay need to step away from the frosting and call me or Heather....:)

But at least you tried and the look on Jake's face says that you more than suceeded!

meohmyers said...

I'm so glad you made him a cowboy boot cake! It's just too cute! I'm with Karen. You and Lindsay are so funny. Remember my offer a long time ago about kid birthday cakes? I LOVE making them and would be happy to help! Call me next time!

shoeaddict said...

I love it! I think it's really good and think Jake looks adorable with it. That is so sweet. You never answered my baking questions!! Are you just afraid to help me in case I blow something up??

::lindsay said...

Yeah, that cake is on the same level as mine. Luckily you are amazing at every other aspect of baking. So maybe cake decorating is not your strong suit. Maybe I might need sunglasses looking at your cake, but whatever!

Sarah said...

Your cake made me laugh, not because it looked horrible, but because I've been in your shoes before with the whole cake decorating thing. Keep trying though, you'll get better. And really the smile on Jake's face says it all.

hatch said...

I love it! I can tell from Jake's picture that he is very happy with it. Rain boot....that is funny. I should post my first effort of decorating a birthday cake it might make you and Lindsy feel better.

tharker said...

I just thought of another great name for this post:

COWBOY UGLY

Man, I kill myself!

Emily said...

I give it a "P" for PRICELESS!

C. Jane Kendrick said...

That is the cutest cake I have ever seen.

Kris said...

The cake is great! P for Priceless is even better! Way to go Tiffani! You made a really cute boot for Jake! He loved it and that's all that matters!

Marilyn said...

You did a great job, you're being much too hard on yourself. But I will admit, I thought it was a muddy cowboy boot, before reading your post. So funny. And Jake is a lucky little boy to have you as his mother.

Melissa said...

He loved it and that is the important part! Give yourself an A+ for being such a good mom!

Heather said...

Its cute!!

Monica said...

It's cute and Jake loved it. That's all that matters. Years from now, he's not going to remember your frosting technique, he's going to remember that his mom made him an awesome cowboy boot cake for his birthday.

tharker said...

Marilyn I'm laughing so hard at the muddy cowboy boot! I was thinking along those same lines, either mud or poo!

crystal said...

I think it's great! You're an awesome mom! That's totally going the extra mile!

Elizabeth said...

Hey...that's what mothers do.

You are amazing.

And that look on Jake's face with that cake is priceless.

Brooklet said...

Love it!! Especially the cow patty comment!

Jessica said...

I think it is so cute! Especially the smile on his face. You are a great mom for even attempthing such a task!

Anonymous said...

Great Job!!! I'm impressed.