Friday, November 09, 2007

ACT for kids, NOT a substitute for brushing

I made a discovery this morning as Hannah was coming out of the bathroom. I asked her if she remembered to brush, and she said "Yup". I just happened to look into the bathroom as I was walking by and noticed the bottle of ACT sitting open on the counter. The directions on the bottle clearly state that children should only rinse once a day. Mine usually do it at night.

So I asked Hannah if she had decided to start doing it in the morning after brushing. To which she replied, "Oh, I didn't brush mom, I just rinsed. It's the same thing!" Ummmm, actually NO it's not! She was ordered to march right back into the bathroom and brush properly. After she was finished I asked her how long she's been doing this little routine and she told me for a LONG TIME.

No wonder we fly through the ACT around here. Not only has she been using it in place of brushing, but she's rinsing with it twice a day! I missed this because I'm hardly ever in the bathroom with Hannah and Josh in the morning.

Reasons:
1.) Because I'm usually still finishing the clean up of the kitchen and getting Jake's oatmeal off of his chin
2.) Because I THOUGHT they were big enough to do the job properly now that they are a little bit older.

Jake and I ususally do his brushing after the older kids head off to school. At night, I am in the bathroom helping Jake brush his teeth, so that is when I get to oversee Hannah and Josh's brushing techniques. They do a great job, so I never really thought anything else about it. I just didn't think that my little darling was taking the easy way out of brushing every blasting morning!

After brushing CORRECTLY, Hannah came into my room and said, "Man, I sure had a lot of plaque on my teeth mom!" Gee, I wonder why....

8 Thoughts:

Heather said...

If only we could swish instead of brushing (and flossing). Life would be so much easier, especially in the braces stage.

Sarah said...

You mean all these years I've just been using mouth wash, I really should have been brushing my teeth?! Great.

Adolescent Family said...

Thats priceless! Where do they get this from? You or Spencer?!

Melissa said...

If she ever finds something that you CAN use to just swish instead of brushing, let me know. I'd buy it :)

Kim said...

Hey that makes sense to me!! I agree with Melissa but I would add that it has to cancel out flossing too. Every time I go to the dentist I get lectured for not flossing as much as I should. It's horrible, I know, but I've started flossing while I blog, and that helps. Anyway, that's funny. Are you still feeling yucky?

Brooklet said...

She knows a lot about dental hygene for a 7 year old.

I too wish you could just swish instead of worrying about flossing. I hate flossing!! And I am married to a darn dentist who gets on my for not flossing. Bummer.

Shells said...

Here, here, brooke. I hate flossing and wish I could just swish.

Emily said...

Hannah is so cute:) I'm going to have to try that ACT stuff...for my kids that is. I need all the help I can get!