We went to a wedding reception last Saturday night for a very sweet older gentleman from our ward. He has been a widower for the last 15(?) years. He is the father of 6 or 7 kids, and did a FANTASTIC job raising the last couple of boys basically on his own, since his wife died when the boys were still very young. Our family LOVES this man. Every single Sunday without fail, he would shake my children's hands and talk to them about their week. He met a very nice woman a while back and they got married very recently. Sadly, they have moved out of our ward, but we are very happy for them.
ANYWAY....Man I can really go on can't I?
The point....Oh yeah...
So we went to this reception, and the first thing I noticed was the location. It was at a building that I haven't been to since high school at least. I remember going to lots of Stake Dances there. My favorite thing about this particular building is that it was very close to a 7-11. After the Stake Dance, my friends and I would always stop for a big ol' thing of Nachos(remember my love for them?) and a Slurpee. Ahh, the good old days. Okay...rambling again.
Spencer and I were both feeling quite nostalgic being in this building. I think we were expecting C & C Music Factory to start playing at any moment! "Everybody Dance Now"{The quintessential Stake Dance song} was not playing, but to my surprise there was music AND dancing. We gave our congrats to the happy couple, and steered the kids toward the refreshment table {cuz that's what the kids really came for. And I must say that I was very happy to see my beloved Costco cake too!}
After we found some seats, I began watching the dance floor. I was expecting it to be like a Stake Dance, ya know empty floor except for the slow songs. But I was so surprised. Every single song brought couples to the floor. I watched in awe as these amazing older couples{And when I say "older" I mean only ONE generation older than us} Waltzed, Fox Trotted, and Two Stepped their way around the room. It made me think. We don't dance. Not just Spencer and I, but our generation. We don't dance. And I think it's sad. These people were having a blast! They were adorable to watch. The groom even took Hannah out for a spin around the floor. She loved it! After they finished their song, she came back and asked Spencer when he was going to take me out on the floor. He just told her that he doesn't dance. In his defense, he REALLY doesn't dance. My toes have felt the proof. I love him though, so I'm okay with it!
A little while later, "The Electric Slide" came on. Come on now...you know you can't help yourself when it comes on! Hannah wanted to do it so badly, so I went out there with her, and we had so much fun! I was also shocked at how PACKED the dance floor was! I am a sucker for a good line dance though. Turn on "The Hustle", or even "The Macarena", and I'm there! Of course, you couldn't pay Spencer enough money to get out on that floor, so I take one for the team. Anyway, Hannah had a great time dancing, and I hope that she gets more opportunities to do it. Because it's fun!
As we were driving home, I was thinking about it all, and I couldn't help but wonder if we are the boring generation. Our parents knew how to do some FUN stuff! What do we do for dates? We go to movies...spend lots of money on worthless crap...
Growing up, I always thought my parents were boring and embarrassing when they would dance at events like this{part of me still believes that it's true}, but now it makes me wonder if I wasn't wrong after all.
Oh, and sorry for getting the tune to "The Hustle" stuck in your head too!
Monday, November 12, 2007
Do The Hustle
Posted by tharker at 9:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 Thoughts:
Yeah, maybe we are boring. Do you think XBox will come out with a dancing game? Maybe then Spencer would do it!
Keven & I like to dance! We are just to out of shape to do it right now. But I think you are right, TV, movies, and Xbox has taken over our lives as a generation. Im a succor though for my weekly fix for Chuck, Heros, and ER. I know I know, I still love ER. Can't miss it though. Call me OLD FASHIONED!
Isn't it funny how the generations differ? I'm so glad that they did that Dance festival a few years ago with the youth. I never got to do one, and I always thought it'd be fun!
Jack took dance up at Ricks, to find a girl. It didn't work. Well, he didn't find a girl in his dance class. But he did find me. Anyway, he learned a few dances and I'm the one that steps on his toes! :)
That's funny because we were obviously at the same reception you were at. We must have just missed each other.
I used to love to dance. But it seems like there just isn't anywhere to do it anymore. My parents are awesome dancers and they said growing up that every weekend there was a dance somewhere that they went to.
It is so funny that you said that becuase I seriously just asked Kevin if he would take me to a dance class where they teach the "Cha Cha" and all of those fun ballroom dances!!! He never gave me an answer now that I think about it. I personaaly LOVE to watch Dancing with the Stars and secretly pretend that I could move like that no problem!
I know exactly what you mean about the older generation maybe was a little funner. We are pretty boring. I really want to take a dance class though, with or without Brandon.
My Husband doesn't dance either. Not for my lack of trying. The man seriously doesn't have rythm. Not an ounce of it. Makes dancing a little... um... awkward :)
It's not a generation thing- it's a location or geographical thing because honey, we dance!! I can dance all kinds of dances and always could... It is fun! You and Spencer should go take ballroom dance classes.
How's Jake?
I used to go swing dancing at BYU all of the time and absolutley loved it. Then my swing partner found a girlfriend and got married and I haven't been since. That is so sad. It is great exercise and so much fun. I think that in most cases, the women would love to go dancing and it is the men who are dragging their feet. What can we do about that?
Yes, I would love to take some dance classes, but again, there is nothing, not even the promise of excess amounts of Fly Fishing that could lure Spencer onto a dance floor...or even a class. I'll just keep dreaming!
After Hannah was born, I took an adult Jazz class and LOVED it! I had forgotten how much I loved dance, and would have kept at it if it weren't for the fact that I found out I was pregnant with Josh. I really want to take another class though.
Kristen- thanks for asking about Jake too! He's doing well. The doctors are happy with his progress, algthough they are watching the curvatrure of his spine. They noticed that it was beginning to curve a bit at his last appointment. I guess it's normal for Spina Bifida, but they just want to keep an eye on it during his next few visits. He won't go back again until next Spring. Hallelujah!!!! He doesn't complain of any pain in his back, so that is good, but every once in a while, he tells us his hips bother him. They are both dislocated, and it wouldn't be worth it to fix them, cuz apparently they would just come out again. So to avoid all of the pain of major surgery, and the pain of the hips dislocating again, they leave them alone. Does that make sense, or am I just totally rambling??
No, not rambling but when will they fix them? Can they ever? I hate that he's in any pain at all.
I'm so irritated! I just wrote this long comment explaining Jake's hips, and when I went to publish, it erased it all!!! Stupid, stupid!
So back to your question Kristen...
No they won't ever fix them. From what we have been told by several doctors, it is normal for children with Spina Bifida to have dislocated hips. It's just another thing that doesn't develop normally in utero. They said it would be very painful for Jake to undergo surgery, and then to have more pain when his hips dislocate again. They always do, I guess.
Thankfully, Jake's only bother him once in a while. It is hard to know that your child is in even a little bit of pain and there is nothing you can do about it except to make him comfortable. He does well with it though, and usually just by shifting his position, the pain will go away.
Thank you for your concern for Jake Kristen. That is very sweet.
I think a big factor in if you still dance as a couple has to do with the husbands willingness to get on the dance floor. A lot of men seem to be self-conscious about it. I love dancing- I miss it! Cody promised me two birthdays ago that he would take a dance class with me (as long as there was no latin dancing involved). I am going to take him up on it one of these days!
Post a Comment