What do you get when you combine 6 grown men for a little football on a chilly Saturday evening? A hot dog showdown, that's what! A few weeks ago, Spencer told me that he wanted to have some guys from our ward over to watch the BYU bowl game. He also mentioned that they would be cooking hot dogs. Okay, sure. You really want to BBQ hot dogs in December? Whatever floats your boat. Too bad my mind works so simplistically. They were not going to JUST cook up some dogs. No, they were going to have an actual contest to determine which dog deserves to be "top dog". Seriously? This was just too funny. There was no other choice but for me to blog about it!
Here were the 6 choices of hot dogs to sample from. {Keep in mind that these were "All Beef" hot dogs. No nasty pork mixture dogs for these manly men. And don't even think about throwing in a Turkey dog. Those are for sissy's!} And that's Root beer people!
Here's how the night went down. One of these dudes actually came up with a scoring sheet for each person to rate their dogs. Scroll down a little further for details and scoring criteria.
Another dude brought this portable fire pit. The hot dogs were marked A-F, but no one knew which dog belonged to which brand. So they began at A, and cooked up their dog. Each MAN tried a few bites, and then scored the dog. This went on for at least an hour as they came in and out of the house with new dogs to sample. Of course the kids loved every minute of it because they could hang out with "the big boys" by the fire!
It's a little hard to see, but here's the score card. There were 4 categories to score from. And in each category, there were certain criteria that ranged from 1 ("nasty") to 5 ("awesome).
Pre-bite- a.) Aroma b.) Appearance
Taste- a.) Texture b.) Greasiness c.) Flavor (salty) d.) Flavor (spicy)
Post-swallow a.) After taste b.) Digestion
Overall
At the beginning of the night, I predicted that Ball Park would win hands down, and that of course Bar S would come in dead last cuz they're dead nasty! I bet you're dying to know which hot dog ranked the highest. Okay, I'll give it to ya straight.
Coming in 1st with 221.5 points- Nathan's
Second was a total shocker to me, but rounding out the night with 219.5 points was Bar S! Can you believe that?
In a very tight race ending in a tie for 3rd- Hebrew National and Applegate both came in with 178 points.
Ball Park was a shocker to me only coming in 4th place with only 177 points!
And in last place with a measly 154 points was good ol' Oscar Mayer.
There you have it folks. If you're in search of a good hot dog, you now have the tried and true results. Maybe it wasn't a national taste test, but it's close enough. I learned a valuable lesson that brand doesn't always matter. Hence, Bar S coming in 2nd!! Amazing, simply amazing!
Just think, these 6 well educated, and wonderful men did all the work for you. Not only do you not have to endure the belly ache from all of that nitrate filled goodness, but you also don't have to smell that lovely campfire scent around your house for two days. {I did that for you too!}


21 Thoughts:
Okay, there was a lot of planning and preparation put into this hotdog eating contest. What, are they girls??
I am glad the bar s came in second. Its always more fun when the underdog wins.
Ummmmm...so I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed a tear after reading your synopsis of the blessed event. Did I detect a bit of sarcasm there? No matter. We are proud to endure ridicule in the quest for truth. Viva la revolution!
Jeff
Yes I believe those numbers Nathans are suposed to be the best around, and the Bar S is good. The Hebrew are suposed to be good to. But also keep in mind that after so many bites into a dog they do kidda all start to taste like, well, a hot dog.
I love Bar S hot dogs! I never tried Nathans. Never even heard of it. We probably don't get that here.
When did they watch the game?
Sarcasm? What are you talking about Jeff? heehee!
Shoeaddict, I forgot to mention that it took them a while to watch the game because they kept pausing it so that they could do their hot dogs. But I will say it was worth the wait, cuz BYU litterally pulled through at the last minute with a ONE point win!!! Go Cougs!!! By the way, good luck to your Tigers Shoeaddict!!!
This is an awesome event Tiffani! I love how you write too, it makes it so much better! This sounds like something that Jack and his buddies will have to do! I'm not a big hot dog fan, but my kids love the Bar-S too. See, cheap is good, right?
Thanks Kristen. Unfortunately I write exactly how I speak. My writing is just missing "like" and "totally", and then it would sound EXACTLY like me!
Tiffani,
Thanks for your comment on my little bloggy. I'm happy to have finally met you and your sweet family. I'm guessing that you live right in our neighborhood so we must get together sometime. Andrey really enjoyed the hot dog fiasco. He's been talking about the results all week. Silly boys! Thanks for hosting the wild event. You blog is super cute and I'll check back often. Love, Lindsay
The things that entertain men seem so odd to me. It cracks me up.
wow! The lengths these men went through to find top dog... that's hilarious. I have to say, Nathan's is the only hotdog we eat and love. Only pure beef for me too!
This is funny because it is just sooo.....typical of what guys will do to prove something. I'm having deja vu (sp?). I love the chart and all of the scientific data they kept. Sounds like they had a great time.
It sounds like fun to me! Glad you blogged about it.
Interesting results. I have always been a fan of Bar-S, but I have never heard of some of those other brands. Nathans? Hebrew Something? Applegate? Maybe I have just never noticed them because I am so content with the Bar-S.
Can we put in requests for other taste tests?
I'm seriously speechless....which never happens.
Glad they had such fun!
That's what I interupped the other night...the thing I called a meeting! Ha! I thought they were being all spiritual or something? I am glad they are normal guys who like to play with fire!
did you husband grow up in Hermiston? Sounds like a celebration we would have thrown in honor of the hot dog.
thanks for the important info!
If my Hubby had been there he would have thrown a few brats out there... :)
Looks like a fun night! The real question is: did they clean up after themselves? ;)
Too funny! Looks like we'll have to try ourselves some Nathan's hot dogs!
Melissa,
Here's the answer to your question...ummmm....kind of...
People will alway mock what they dont understand! It is sad to see the pursuit of excellence taken so ligthly. My 2 cents...dont let your fear of change keep you from seeing the truth and embracing it. I bet that you also think that the Flowbee is no more then one of those cheap "as seen on tv" gadgets that only a sucker would buy. open your mind...
Ah, Brent...so glad that you visited! You're absolutely right, I have been converted to the Flobee after our conversation that one time at Mutual! I mean, the results speak for themselves! You are too funny!
Post a Comment