Sunday, March 16, 2008

Just tellin' it like it is

You've gotta love the honesty of children. It never fails them to tell you exactly what is on their mind. I love this. Well...sometimes. Other times...times like Friday morning...not so much.

The kids were eating breakfast while I was drying my hair. I finished getting ready, and when I came downstairs, Josh immediately told me how pretty I looked. Honestly, my first thought was, "What does he want....?" Then I repented, and thought that maybe he really was just being very sweet.

I was wrong.

I thanked him, and told him how good it makes me feel that he thinks his mom is pretty. To this he quickly replied, "Well, you don't look pretty when you wake up in the morning because your hair is all crazy and your face looks really ugly. But after you shower, and put make up on, you're beautiful!"

"Ummmm......Thanks buddy."

Sweet moment, gone.

27 Thoughts:

Cecilia said...

That's sooo true. My oldest is the same way and sometimes I can help and just laugh at the cute and not so cute things we says, but he is so innocent that I just love his honesty more and more!!!
Thanks for the post!!!

hatch said...

You gotta love it! A while back I was getting ready for church and Chloe said to me, Mom are you wearing that dress to church because it is really ugly.

AOlson said...

Oh I love Josh! I can just imagine what his little face looked like when he said that to you. He is so funny and so sweet! Jacob usually says, "Mom, I don't mean this in a bad way, but . . .".

Kris said...

I love how honest kids can be! Gotta love them! Hey, how was your Youth Conference this weekend??

Jan said...

Well Well. Don't you just love that one as a mother. At least he recognizes the importance of a shower and a little maintenance so that he will allow this as part of the program in his husband duties. That was a really cute story of once again sweet and sour.

Lee said...

Havr to love kids.. But you are just beautiful!

Sarah said...

Gotta love that! Our kids just do not understand (nor do our husbands sometimes)what we go through to look cute. I bet you look great, crazy hair and all!

Washington Rimmasch Family said...

I just love kids and how innocent they are!

Shells said...

I love that Joshy-boy. I'd definately say that he is the comedian of the family (not just yours, but "our" family). Where does he come up with this stuff.

Lisa Christine said...

Yes, it is Patty from the developmental center! We are so grateful for her...she is wonderful with Elisabeth! She also has another lady who comes with her named Jenny - I'm not sure her last name.

Anonymous said...

I was singing a song and my daughter said "I hate to tell you this but my music teacher sings MUCH better than you!" I must of looked hurt because she added "Maybe with a little practice you could get better!" My 2 year old told me the other day "You look like a witch when it's dark outside?" What's up with that?
GENEIL

tharker said...

Geniel,
That is so funny! Your girls sound like crack ups! But I'm sure that she is wrong about your singing because if I remember correctly,(and I do) you have a great singing voice!

Wendy Christensen said...

kids are SO real and SO right on (most of the time) ... :) Happy St. Patty's Day to you Tiffani!!

Terilyn said...

Love those sweet little angels! I really don't think that the scripture "From the mouths of babes" is applicable here! I know you're a cutie in the morning. I remember you in the morning at the Women's Retreat!

MadMadameMim said...

so great! I love those ego boosts from the kids :)!

Annette Rose said...

That is so funny! Good thing we can take it, huh? I have to tell you that I admire your commitment to your blog! If that makes sense. I just love the way you write things. Everything sounds so good and you do posts so often. My blog is a mess. I need a blogger class or something.... Anyways, I love yours...

tharker said...

Thank you Annette. Now, if only I could have the same committment to my laundry..

Wendy Christensen said...

OK I had one of those 'Tell it like it is kid moments today!! My daughter, Lauren and I are at the mall and I decide to try on a swimming suit ... When I get the first one on she yells - "Mom you look horrible!" --- That's it I say - shopping trip over. Let's go home! :) Note to self: do not go shopping for swimming suits with your daughter!! No moral support :) ...

emahaf said...

I love that kids are so bruttally honest, nothing gives you that pick me up like the boy you don't look so good mom speech.

Jan said...

Hope your having a good day Miss Tiffy Magniffy. I have always wanted to say that.

Brooklet said...

Has Josh even really seen you before you have your hair and make up done? I don't believe that he has. I think you wake up with your hair and makeup done! Even camping, your hair and makeup were done! It must be like a super power!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, man. Harsh. :)

Casee said...

Priceless. I remember saying things like that to my Mom, when I was a kid and didn't know any better. Oh man, I wish I could take some of those things back.

And you are beautiful, I've never met you but all the photos I have seen, absolutely lovely.

p.s. Thank you for all your kind comments, as well, much appreciated. I would LOVE to meet up with you for lunch! Let me know when you are coming to town, it will be so much fun!

Shells said...

Brooke, that is so true. I don't think I've ever seen Tiffani without hair and make-up. Even when we visited you in the hospital right after you had Hannah, your hair and make-up were done.

Ms. Kristen said...

I love to read your posts! They are real and make me laugh cuz the same conversation goes on here too!

Emily said...

I love it! Leave it up to kids to tell it like it is (or isn't in your case):) The other day I was in the dressing room trying on clothes and Ren said, "Why is your bum so big?" Yeah, kids hold nothing back!

KP said...

Ha Ha HA! I've been laughing for 5 minutes now. That is so Josh, too!