Monday, March 24, 2008

A play on words

Do you have a word that you find yourself saying often? I have several. I think I will call them my "fad words". Meaning that these are words that are "in" right now in my personal vocabulary. I also tend steal words from people, and shove them in my repertoire of speech. For instance, when our dear Cindy (who does not blog, but she does read) and I became friends several years ago, I found myself saying "Fabulous!" to almost everything. But I found that I was using it way too often. Like, "These are Fabulous shoe laces." Or "You want to go to the park? Fabulous!!" See, I'm a word stealer.

You might remember my theft of the word Shlumpadinka (I love that Spellcheck has no suggestions for this word!) from Oprah. I like to think that I was one of the first to steal the word from her. But that's just my own deluded senses talking. I know many people stole it first.

Here are some of my personal favorites that have made it into my fad words. Feel free to add them to your own library.

  • Craptastic---Got this one off of the MSN gossip page...you know you read it too!
  • Seriously---Said with exclamation or with a question mark...either one does the job
  • Swimmingly---One of my favorite women ever, a lady that I used to work with uses this word, and I just adore it
  • Oh Snap!---And yes, my children have now picked up on this one. But I figure it is better than some other, how shall I say...not so tasteful words that they have heard their mother say when she stubs her toe!
  • Lovely---Honestly, I think I picked this one up just reading the blogs, but I do love it right now
  • Ummm...no---One of my personal favorites to use when my kids ask for candy for the billionth time in one day
  • Gagillion---Again, maybe from the blogs...I'm not really sure, but I sure like it
  • Fantastic---Is there another word that shows such enthusiasm? I think not
  • Sweet!---Yeah, so I sound like Bill and Ted, but I have loved this word for many a year
  • Are you kidding me?---This sounds a lot better than my usual WHAT!!!
  • Myriad---I picked this one up just today from Lindsay--it was so funny when she said it, that I had to add it in!
  • Funk---There are so many uses for this word, it's fabulous! {See, there I go again} It could be used to describe a smell, or a mood, or even a groovy feeling when you're dancing---I love multi-tasking words!
  • Accolades---It just makes me feel smart to say this one

So there you have it, I love words. My fad words might change next week, hence the word fad!

Do you have any fad words?

19 Thoughts:

Sarah said...

I like to say the word "jaded" even though it really annoys my husband and his friends.

I enjoyed your list, and might have to work in "accolades" and "swimmingly" into my next conversation.

Alicia Leppert said...

This was so fun to read! I LOVE the word "craptastic" although I don't know if I've ever used it. I need to start. I say "seriously" way too much, and "are you kidding me?" too. I use "irritating" a lot too, but that's just because I'm a really negative person.

Jan said...

Umm-no. I can't think of any sweet myriad of sweet, funk slang I use. I should have a gagillion, but no accolades here. I find myself lately saying ding dang. I have know idea where I got that one. But I seriously say seriously way to often. This was fantastic and lovely. I hope your day goes swimmingly. I will think about some more c raptastic words that I might use more than ding dang. I just can't seem to think of any.

tharker said...

And this is exactly why I adore you Jan!

Lisa Christine said...

Great post. One of my fad words......random. I spent about a whole year once saying it about everything, whether it was random or not.

Lee said...

Love Seriously, and use it often, thank you Grey's. I like RAD, we are trying to bring it back. And Fantabulous.

Jessica said...

Jan you are cracking me up!!

Great list Tiffani. Serious. My hubby hates it when I say that. Seriously. I do think I say it a little to much. Serious!

Kate said...

I say "seriously" waaaay too much. and "geez oh petes" I said it in front of my sister and she said "did you really just say geez oh petes?"
I can relate to a lot of the words on your list. I may have to try to add the word "accolades" in to my vocab today :)

Lisa Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Christine said...

Lisa forgot the fab word that she uses when we go down to SoCal to visit her mom. She starts saying "market" instead of grocery store. One I like to use if from the show Arrested Development that used to be on fox. There was a character named GOB (pronounced jobe) And he would say, "I've made a HUGE mistake!" Not funny reading it here, but a classic line when you watch the show.

~The Donald

Casee said...

I also heart lovely, and I know I use it way too frequently. I also say awesome a bit too often, but it has so many different uses. When something is exciting, "That is awesome!" A few minutes ago I spilled food on myself, and I said "Awesome." My husband hears me say, "Are you freaking kidding me?" quite a bit. And I have always loved the word swimmingly, it is fun to say and it paints a wonderful picture in my head.

p.s. My husband says "Oh snap!", it cracks me up to hear he is not the only one!

cate create said...

The other day, at parent-teacher conferences, the teacher was showing me a paper one of the boys had written and she had circled the word "ginormous" and said it wasn't a word. My son looked at me and said, "It's not?" We laughed at that. I think we stole that word from dandee.

This was a very fun post to read! Love your sense of humor!

Emily said...

oh, and here I thought you got "craptastic" from me...lol! I like "chillax". My daughter taught me that one and we have all picked it up (thanks to Hannah Montana...hee-hee).

Annette Rose said...

I say "seriously", way too much, thaks to "Greys". I still say "Cool Beans!", thats one of my faves! Great list, Tiffany, I love "craptastic!" That is just a cool word!

::lindsay said...

Catherine, that cracked me up.

I constantly use the words totally, seriously, like, you know what i mean, and whatever in my vocabulary.

Kim said...

I use SAAAAWEET! Probably more than I should. My niece told me I sound funny, like I'm trying to be young again. My babysitter said "That's tight!" the last weekend. I tried using it later and I felt like an idiot. Its funny because the counselor over literacy dropped off a little snipet that she wants me to add to the RS newsletter(I'm in charge of it)this morning. It talks about how the English language is continually changing and listed new words that have been added to the dictionary. Mouse potato, ginormous, google, unibrow, and supersize. Apparently blogger doesn't know that these words are in because they're underlined.

Melissa said...

Fad words? Umm.... no ;)

Jodi said...

I'm loving all the fad words. I use totally, seriously, and I hate to admit...holy crap all the time (I think I got that from Everybody Loves Raymond).

Kris said...

I'm embarrassed to say, but I'll do it anyway, that I say, "What the Heck!" all the time. My kids have decided to shorten it to, "What The" and I think it sounds just as bad or worse. We are working on using better vocabulary. I guess it's time to add some of your fad words to my household!