Every once in a while, I just sit and watch Jake. I watch him interact with his siblings. I watch him as he struggles to do things that come so easily for other children, yet he never gives up. He just finds a new way. I watch him accomplish things that NO ONE thought he would be able to do. And I think to myself, "Why?"
Why has he been so blessed? Why has it not been nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Of course there have been and still will be very hard times for Jacob, but I am prepared for that. Sometimes. But I wonder why it is that this child who was given very little hope of ever having a normal life has been able to surpass every expectation that was placed on him. I look at him in complete awe and wonder sometimes and I just have to ask why we have been so blessed.
As Jake was taking his bath last night, I just watched him. It wasn't that he was doing anything extraordinary. I think the thing that I was so awestruck by was how absolutely normal this child is. I was watching him splash around and make bubble houses for his G.I. Joe's to play in, and I almost started to cry. My heart was so overcome with gratitude for this happy boy. To know that his brain functions at a higher level than ever expected of him despite the damaging effects that Hydrocephalus can leave, makes me want to shout out loud. The doctors told us to expect that he will have a lower IQ. So far that has not proven to be the case with Jake. He is ridiculously smart. Sometimes too smart, but that is another story.
Jake is such a normal little boy. Even though it can make me crazy, I am so thankful that he acts like a normal kid. Throwing fits? Got it. Picky eater? Check. Loving beyond all belief? Done. I look at him and see him as a completely normal, healthy child. Maybe I am a little more blind to his disabilities because I am his mother. But I believe that is the way it should be.
I can remember when he was a very small baby, I worried so much about how not being able to walk would effect his life. But now, it just seems like the smallest, silliest thing. No, he cannot walk. But it does not matter. All that matters to me is that he is healthy and happy, and knows who he is.
I still look at him sometimes and wonder what I did to deserve such a remarkable child. Probably nothing. But I will always be grateful that I have the opportunity to be his mother. I've said it before, and I will believe it always. Jake is one of my greatest teachers. He teaches me a little bit everyday, even if he doesn't know it.
Friday, April 18, 2008
Pondering
Posted by tharker at 2:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


29 Thoughts:
Pass the kleenex!! Sniff, sniff. This was beautiful! You know I have a very special place in my heart for disabled children. Jake is absolutely precious. Inside and out, through and through. He is so lucky to have you as his mama. You're doing an incredible job! He's so cute!! And you're absolutely right - being a teacher will be his lifelong calling and he will never know the multitudes of people he has taught. Loved this, Tiff!!
I think Jake has been blessed with a wonderful mom and you have been blessed with such an amazing child! This post got me teary eyed. You've done such an amazing job with Jake and all your kids. Thanks for sharing this post...love ya!
Jake has surpassed what others thought he would be able to do because those closest to him [your family] have never put limitations on him. In his eyes, he can do anything. And he can!
Okay Tiffani, ponder anytime because this was a beautiful beautiful post on your son. I didn't have the chance to watch him grow when we were split up. But, I am so glad to have had the chance to read how well he does and the joy he brings to this world. He truly is amazing and blessed to have such wonderful parents that believe in him and is there for him. And you are truly blessed to have been placed with him. I cry a Lot............
This was lovely. It is a blessing that you are able to see all the good and look past the problems. You live such an inspiring life and I am sure that is one of the reasons that he has done so well. You have given him all the love and support he needs. He is just as lucky to have you as you are to have him :)
my heart is full
***
you are a good mama.
I love to read your "ponder" posts! That touched me...and I see everything you see in Jake! Almost! He is wonderful! He is a teacher for many!
Jake is a wonderful little boy and you are a WONDERFUL mom. Don't ever doubt that!
I believe that God gives much thought to where his children should be placed and he got it right on the money with Jake! You and Spencer are obviously fantasticly wonderful parents and care takers and Jake was sent to you not only because of that, but to help guide you and remind you of the blessings and gifts he shares with us.
You and Spencer have gorgeous children... you are all so lucky to have eachother :-)
I loved that you said that you will believe it always. What a beautiful perspective to look at your own children in awe and realize how humbling it is for the opportunity to be THEIR mother. To me, it is in some way akin to needing to remove my shoes. This is a sacred, blessed, holy work that we do as mothers. What an honor and privilege it is. And what an incredible blessing you have in getting to be Jake's mother.
Through the years, I have watched you with your children. You are a great mother. Your children are your priority and life. I think that you do what you do with such grace.
You have done wonderfully with all of your little miracles. And yes, mothers are blind to their children's disabilities, and that is the way it is suppose to be!
You deserve all of your blessings. Big & small. :)
I look forward to seeing you guys more when we move back. I look forward to getting to know your family again. You guys are great friends. :)
I don't know your little guy, thanks for sharing a little about him and sharing your heart. Loving kind parents and friends have made him into a happy, smart little boy.
Thank you for sharing a little piece of heaven with this post. You're a sweetheart!!!! Love ya.
I can't believe how much he has grown! When I used to visit teach you our boys were still our
'little' boys. I remember Jake crawling over to your toy box and playing with Colton. It seems like such along time ago we were in the same ward. Congratulations on all of the progress he has made and will continue making. Children are such a blessing.
Jake is awesome! Love that kid.
very nice thoughts on your son Jake. I hope that Elisabeth can be as successful. And much like him not being able to walk, her not being able to see will end up not being that big of a deal.
~The Donald
donaldrsorensonesq.blogspot.com
I have always been so in awe and impressed watching you with Jake and how you do treat him just like any other kid. I admire that so much and I truly believe that's why he has exceeded all the expectations...because nothing ever told him different. He had no reason to ever doubt that he could do what ever other kid could do. I know for sure that Heavenly Father chose your family for him to be a part of for a reason.
He is a wonderful boy and you are doing wonderful work with him. A true blessing in every way for your family.
Tiffani, my favorite thing that you said, was "I look at him and see him as a completely normal, healthy child." That is so true. He is, and you are one awesome mamma! He's so lucky to have you. This was a wonderful post for him! Thanks for sharing Tiff.
This is such a beautiful post, one that would be so great to put in one of those Blurb books.
I am so glad I have a box of kleenex on my desk. This is such a beautiful post. Jake seems like an amazing child and a lot of that has to do with his parents!
What a beautiful little tribute to a special litte boy! Jake is a lucky boy to have you as his Mom and you are definitely blessed to have him! Thanks for sharing.
This is a wonderful tribute to Jake. He sounds like a remarkable boy, and he is blessed to have you as well.
He is an adorable boy, who has blessed everyones life with his love and laughter. You are a wonderful mom and you have amazing children.
I am giving away a $10 gift card to shabby princess.
http://satwhow.blogspot.com
What sweet thoughts about your little Jake. You are a good Mom!
So sweetly written. He sounds like a wonderful little guy!
He is amazing...always smiling. (Well at least when I see him.) He has the type of spirit that literally shines. ;)
I love Jake. He is amazing. I think he is incredibly blessed to have a mother as loving and as carnig as you are. You help him acheive his potential every day. And Jake helps me see that blessings are everywhere, and that there is nothing that can hold us back to take these blessings.
Post a Comment