We really should stop going to the park for lunch after swim lessons. (No, I didn't get pooed on again)
Today after the kids were finished eating, they all were running around acting out Harry Potter with their wands (read sticks). Lindsay and I were sitting there watching them "Stupefy" each other, and got a few good chuckles. It really is quite amusing ya know! While the big kids were busy casting spells on each other, Jake had mozied on over to a rather large tree that has recently become his favorite spot to play after lunch is over.
When it was time to go, I told the kids the grab their towels and I walked over to get Jake. Just before I got to him, I saw a little boy throw something at Jake's face and hit him in the eye. He immediately grabbed his face and began to cry. As I was checking his eye and hugging him better, I noticed that it was a mustard packet that had hit him, and I looked up to see the boy who had just hurled it standing there watching us. I asked him if he knew that he hit Jake in the eye, and he said yes. I then asked him if he could please apologize to Jake, which he did. Jake said thanks, and the boy went on his way. All is well.
So after getting everyone together, and helping Jake into the stroller, (Yes we use a stroller at the park. Just try lugging a wheelchair through the grass, and you'll see why. It's no picnic!) we began to head out. As we walked past this boy, he AGAIN threw a mustard packet at Jake! I couldn't believe he had done it again. I looked over to where his mother was sitting watching this happen, thinking surely she will tell her Spawn of Satan (ooops, did I say that?) to knock it off. Uhhh, no. She sat there watching the whole thing and did not move a muscle. Grrrrr!
I was completely irritated with the boy's mother, but I didn't say anything because Jake was just fine, and the mustard had caused no damage. Really it was no big deal, but it BUGS me when parents just sit there and watch their kids do mean, naughty things and do nothing about it. I mean come on...couldn't she at least have verbally told him to quit? I mean she wouldn't even have to get up!
Ahh, sometimes it just feels good to vent!
Monday, July 14, 2008
A mother's irritation
Posted by tharker at 11:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 Thoughts:
I just don't understand how a mother can not want her child to learn better behavior. Imagine when that child gets to school. He is going to have rude awakening.
I always follow the motto
" A misbehaving child is a discouraged child"
We have to love our children enough to discipline them.
Have a great day.
Those are the things that really get to me too Tiffany. I just never understood that. You should have taken some mustard and through it at the mother.
You did the right thing. But deep down you want to throw it huh.
Sorry this happened to sweet little Jake.
I would be totally irritated by both the mother and her child, and totally agree she should have said something. However, I wouldn't let it stop you from going to the park. I wouldn't let someone else's rudeness stop you and your kids from doing things you enjoy. That might teach them to run away from problems instead of learning how to deal with them. This is especially true with Jake who will be faced with more difficulties than any child should ever have to deal with.
Sorry for the lecture. I am my father's daughter.
What a rude kid! Honestly sometimes I wonder why people even have kids!
and, wow Tiffani, I'm impressed. You are a stronger woman than me, I totally would have given that lady the business..........
It wouldn't have been pretty!
I guess I forgot to say that huh Shell? Yes, we will still be going to that park. I just had to make a little joke out of it because it seems like our luck isn't going so well there ;) But we'll keep going for sure.
So sorry that happened to Jake. You have every right to be mad about it. There are not enough good moms out there teaching their kids right and wrong and to be accountable. That bugs the heck out of me as well. Case in point, the other day during Kendle's swimming lessons, I had Morgan in the little kids pool and some other kid comes up and starts making really obnoxious loud noises in his face. His mom sat right there and watched the whole thing. Well, she didn't tell him to stop and Morgan busted into tears. No reprimand to her child or anything. Wow, that mama bear instinct comes out in full force when someone does something to our children huh?
What??? I just don't get it. By not stopping bad behavior, that mother is reinforcing it. You handled it well. I'm not sure what I would have done.
Oh, I would have flipped!!! If there is one thing that's worse than a mean child, it's a mean child with parents who don't care (which is why their child is uncontrolable to start with). The pool seems to be a breeding ground for these nasty children. I was just at the pool the other day and had a similar experience. Of course I chewed out the kid.....and the child was so sassy right back to me! Her mother was not far away, but didn't do a thing.
I'm glad that you got to vent. Feels good for sure!
Point to that mother today! I will tell her how I feel......some people!
Sarah,
I would have been ticked too. Poor little Morgan!
Lisa,
Sassy kids drive me crazy! Mostly because Hannah is going through a bit of a sassy stage herself right now. Thankfully, she does not use her sass to other people. Nope, I'm just the lucky one that gets it. We are working on this one very hard because I can't stand it, and I do NOT want her talking to other adults like that!
That makes ME mad!! It just baffles me how some mom's are so clueless and RUDE! I'm sorry you had to experience that. Give Jake a hug from me.
WOW! I would have been sooo irritated....I LOVE the twilight series...it looks like you are reading it again. I am going to have to read it again before the other book comes out. Sounds like you are doing well. I lvoe catching up with friends on their blogs. Loves,
Michelle
You have way more self control then I do. Great job on taking the high road. I would have marched over and told the mother and the boy off. You do an awesome job at setting a good example for your kids at being Christ like.
Post a Comment