I used to love to run. My senior year of High school, I started running because of a teacher. I was in a class called Reading, Writing, and Running. Really sounds like a tough class right....Let's just say that my senior year was kind of a cake year. Anyway, because of this teacher's influence and his infectious love for running, I came to really enjoy it. I ran for the thrill. I ran for the feeling of the cool air sucking through my lungs. In short, I loved it.I ran off and on for the next couple of years, but didn't stay consistent with it.
Well, marriage and children came along, and I didn't do it at all. But always in the back of my mind was the desire to start up again. What stopped me from starting again you ask? I'm lazy. Pure and simple.Well, this fall I decided to change this. I selected a spanky new pair of running shoes (through advice from Elizabeth and Casee, two of my favorite running gurus!) and decided to give it a shot.
Let me just tell you, trying to start out running after NOT doing it for 13 years....STUPID! To put it mildly, I thought I would die after two blocks. Awesome. So I decided to take it slow. I've been speed walking for two months now, and it has helped so much. I've worked my way up to 3 1/2 miles, 3 days a week. It may not sound like much to some, but it's 10 1/2 more miles than I was walking before!
On Monday, toward the end of my walk, I decided to pick up the pace a bit and try to jog the rest of the way. To my huge shock, I could do it! It didn't feel like I was going to croak and my legs didn't feel like huge weights pulling me down. I only made it about a 1/2 mile, but I still did it! Maybe next time I can make it 3/4 mile. It's all about baby steps for this girl.
Thursday, October 16, 2008
Baby Steps
Posted by tharker at 7:22 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


20 Thoughts:
It sounds like a lot Tiff. You are doing fabulous. Way to go and baby steps is always how we have to start out right?
"spanky new pair of running shoes"
I had to go back and re-read that line because I thought you bought spankys...hahaha. I was going to say, wow you are getting serious.
Motivation is 1/2 the battle and you got that down sister. I'm about ready to start my winter work-outs (another week and I'll be part time, wahoooo!)so maybe we can meet up sometime and huff and puff together (you do have a few months on me though and a whole lot of less weight, haha). Well done!!!!
3 1/2 miles is too far, really far. Good for you..
Good job Tiffani!
I admire your motivation!! I am still in the phase where you say "someday" I'll start getting serious about getting in shape again. GOOD JOB!
Ahhh running...we have love/hate relationship. I love the way I feel when I am good about running, I just hate the anticipation of doing it. NEVER sounds fun.
I'm so proud of you! Nothing gets my booty in shape like running.
Great job! Just getting out there and starting is half the battle. Don't new shoes totally help in the motivation department too? I think so.
good for you!
Way to go! There is nothing quite like a good run, with good music and time to think in peace....
keep it up
Spankies! Karen you made me laugh so hard! Thanks!!!! That one word will always bring me back to the good old cheer days. Now do you want green or yellow? Those were good times!
Have you tried Couch potato to 5K? It works...I ran 2 miles the other day...or should I say jogged...but I did it without stopping!! Just google it...and I've never liked running, last time I ran for exercise was at BYU-fitness for death class...so, if your are a runner resurrected....I still need to call you...I have your number at least...
I'm impressed Tiffani. Good for you for keeping up with your plan. Sounds like you are improving too. Which is totally awesome! You go girl!
You are awesome Tiffani! I hopw that it continues for you.
When I started the couch to 5K back in July I was absolutely dying at running 60 seconds! Now I run 30 minutes straight....all because of baby steps. Each week I increased the amount of running I did and it always pushed me to the limit, yet was achievable.
Congrats to you!
Yay, wanna swing by and pick me up on your next run?
I did hear of the Couch to 5K from Lisa a few months ago. It sounds like such a good plan.
Dorothy,
I didn't know that you ran. And yes, you should call me. Anytime ;)
Heather,
The sad thing is I know you'd totally pass me! Miss Triathalon!
It's a secret...well, not really, but I haven't told anyone...SO EMBARRASSING when someone I know sees me...shhhh....I have a sis-in-law that runs marathons...
I just started running again this week also. My husband is a running god, so I get lots of free advice. Most importantly is to take it slow. I've been running on my treadmill, which controls my speed. If I try to run like I used to-- much faster-- I always croak after about five minutes, but if I run a slow 15 minute mile, I can go forever. I decided I'm in the turtle stage of life now-- slow and steady for the distance.
Power walking is about right. You walk fast! Maybe next year I'll be able to run with you. Maybe.
Way to go Tiff! I am impressed that you decided to get back in the saddle. I took a few months off because of an injury, and I thought I was going to die when I started back up. It is tough to get going again, but I am sure you can agree, it is worth it! How I wish you lived nearby, so I would have a running partner again, I miss having someone to keep me going!
Post a Comment